Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Schedule

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I swear it feels like we're charter members of the AFC East sometimes with New England seemingly always on our schedule. Just pencil in the "L" there as usual and call it a day I guess. That's what the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills do.

Won't really make any difference what the level of competition is next year though if they don't figure out how to stop the almost David Carr-esq sack numbers on Watson. 62 sacks on the year? Keep that up and we'll be looking for his replacement way too soon.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I swear it feels like we're charter members of the AFC East sometimes with New England seemingly always on our schedule.
We you win your division (as the Texans have 3 out of the past 4 seasons), the other AFC division winners on on your schedule. In the AFC East, that would be the New England Patriots. For the past 10 seasons and 16 of the past 18. They are the bar, and eventually you have to clear the bar. Why worry about next year, when the Texans still have a chance to clear the bar this year?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I swear it feels like we're charter members of the AFC East sometimes with New England seemingly always on our schedule. Just pencil in the "L" there as usual and call it a day I guess. That's what the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills do.

Won't really make any difference what the level of competition is next year though if they don't figure out how to stop the almost David Carr-esq sack numbers on Watson. 62 sacks on the year? Keep that up and we'll be looking for his replacement way too soon.

I made the comment in another thread that Watson is responsible for a good chunk of those because he holds the ball so long …. but it is what makes him special is that he can often escape and make a big play. Hard to ask him not to do that …

He does miss an awful lot of reads in the intermediate routes as well. One of those things that had me not wanting to draft him in the first place ...

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
We you win your division (as the Texans have 3 out of the past 4 seasons), the other AFC division winners on on your schedule. In the AFC East, that would be the New England Patriots. For the past 10 seasons and 16 of the past 18. They are the bar, and eventually you have to clear the bar. Why worry about next year, when the Texans still have a chance to clear the bar this year?

Hey Gisborne!! ….

I'm not much concerned with the Pats next year …. eventually Brady's gotta hang up his cleats …. or show some signs of growing old.

When Brady's gone …. BeleCheat will revert back to the average (I hope).

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
man playing in the superdome is so tooouughhhh !!!!! freaking saints but it is a good road trip to nOLa

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I wouldn't be too surprised if Brees hung up his cleats if he got SB Ring number 2 and just enjoyed retirement until his HOF induction.

That might make at least one road game easier next season.

Mari-OWNED!

Bucco Bruce
I wouldn't be too surprised if Brees hung up his cleats if he got SB Ring number 2 and just enjoyed retirement until his HOF induction.

That might make at least one road game easier next season.
Brees is playing at a stupidly high MVP level right now. Even if he gets ring #2, I'd be shocked if he retired. Great young team around him, and he's a just gamer at heart.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Agree on the sacks for Watson but the Pats aren't the winning machine they use to be. Don't let the last two games against the Jets and Bills fool you, the Dolphins had their number when it really mattered and so did the Steelers. Those are two teams the Pats have rolled over in the past but not only did they lose to them but they struggled against other teams they should have rolled over.

The saving grace of the Pats is and always has been Tom Brady but you watch him this season, I know hard to do and not throw up, and the Tom Brady we see now doesn't seem as hungry as the Tom Brady pre ring number 5. Don't get me wrong he's still Tom Brady but looking at the NFL has a whole and the young guns like Watson and Mahomes coming up not to mention those hits hurt more than they use to and you know he's got to be thinking about it.

Honestly I'm really curious to see how the Pats actually do in this playoff run. Almost as curious as I am about the Texans, the bye week was in real trouble there and if not for one field goal it could have been the Texans with the bye and the Pats playing. When was the last time anyone even considered the Pats wouldn't get the bye?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
There's absolutely no telling what next year's Texans will do with that schedule, or that the teams on it will be what they are right now. It does appear more difficult on paper, and in reality that's probably the truth. Perhaps the Texans will be a better team next year and can handle it. The only thing I know for sure is if we don't improve the o-line we're in for another year of suck no matter who's on our schedule.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
There's absolutely no telling what next year's Texans will do with that schedule, or that the teams on it will be what they are right now. It does appear more difficult on paper, and in reality that's probably the truth. Perhaps the Texans will be a better team next year and can handle it. The only thing I know for sure is if we don't improve the o-line we're in for another year of suck no matter who's on our schedule.
On this board anywho regardless of actual w/l

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Looking at the schedule, it's a very tough one. Both at home and on the road. All of the best teams from 2018. This will be a season that we see what the Texans really are, and if they are able to get 10 wins or more, then they will finally earn some respect around the league. Especially if they manage to beat some of the better teams on the road.
I expect Gaine to concentrate on improving the O-line and defensive secondary in the off season. Should that happen and we get a healthy Will Fuller back, the Texans could be stacked enough to make some real noise next year.
Look at the offense.
QB Dashaun Watson
RB Lamar Miller, D'Onta Foreman, Alfred Blue
WR DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Demarius Thomas, Keke Coutee, Vyncint Smith, DeAndre Carter
TE Ryan Griffin, Jordan Thomas, Jordan Akins
Assuming that Fuller comes back healthy and D Thomas recovers from his Achilles injury and returns at some point during the season on a friendlier contract, this offense should scare the hell out of defensive coordinators. It's full of deadly play makers and could be one of the most explosive offenses in the league. With Coutee, Smith and the 2 Jordans having a full year under their belts, you can expect them to make jumps in their game going into the second year.
The defense should look even better with pretty much the same front 7 and some hopefully good additions to the secondary. I expect the Texans to tag Clowney or at least keep him with a good, but cap friendly "prove it" contract. They will also extend the Honey Badger and keep him with a good contract. He wants to stay in Houston. Also, expect Justin Reid, as good as he's been, to make a jump and get even better. This defense should be a monster to go against for any offense.
As tough as the schedule looks, that's what you want. To be the best you have to play and beat the best.
This looks like it could be a really exciting year.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Looking at the schedule, it's a very tough one. Both at home and on the road. All of the best teams from 2018. This will be a season that we see what the Texans really are, and if they are able to get 10 wins or more, then they will finally earn some respect around the league. Especially if they manage to beat some of the better teams on the road.
I expect Gaine to concentrate on improving the O-line and defensive secondary in the off season. Should that happen and we get a healthy Will Fuller back, the Texans could be stacked enough to make some real noise next year.
Look at the offense.
QB Dashaun Watson
WR DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Demarius Thomas, Keke Coutee, Vyncint Smith, DeAndre Carter
Assuming that Fuller comes back healthy and D Thomas recovers from his Achilles injury and returns at some point during the season on a friendlier contract, this offense should scare the hell out of defensive coordinators. It's full of deadly play makers and could be one of the most explosive offenses in the league. With Coutee, Smith and the 2 Jordans having a full year under their belts, you can expect them to make jumps in their game going into the second year.
The defense should look even better with pretty much the same front 7 and some hopefully good additions to the secondary. I expect the Texans to tag Clowney or at least keep him with a good, but cap friendly "prove it" contract. They will also extend the Honey Badger and keep him with a good contract. He wants to stay in Houston. Also, expect Justin Reid, as good as he's been, to make a jump and get even better. This defense should be a monster to go against for any offense.
As tough as the schedule looks, that's what you want. To be the best you have to play and beat the best.
I am looking forward to this offseason. I don't think we can make the oline top ten in one season but I do expect a significant improvement and that should be a big help.
Besides the two obvious problem areas, I would also like to see a positive move to improve the run game and WR corp - then I reckon we should be able to hold our own.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Chiefs, Chargers, Ravens and Saints away looks a lot better than our home games.
It's hard not to believe someone has something against us when stuff like that keeps happening.

Chiefs, Chargers, Saints on the road.

Broncos, Raiders, Fans at home.

I understand we don't know what those teams will look like next season. But right now, I feel like somebody got caught blinking somebody's wife.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
It's hard not to believe someone has something against us when stuff like that keeps happening.

Chiefs, Chargers, Saints on the road.

Broncos, Raiders, Fans at home.

I understand we don't know what those teams will look like next season. But right now, I feel like somebody got caught blinking somebody's wife.
Except for 2 games, the schedule is known for years to come. And for those 2 games you typically know which division you're playing home and which away. I know it seems that way, but it's all predictable.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Look at the offense.
QB Dashaun Watson
Forget about D. Foreman, he's a walking injury case and a waste of a draft pick. The rest look good though, and behind an improved o-line the Texans can kick some serious ass. Hopefully we also get an OC during the off season.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Forget about D. Foreman, he's a walking injury case and a waste of a draft pick. The rest look good though, and behind an improved o-line the Texans can kick some serious ass. Hopefully we also get an OC during the off season.
He had 1 freak injury, he was looking pretty good until then. Far from a wasted draft pick. Houston Football Gods at work again

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
He had 1 freak injury, he was looking pretty good until then. Far from a wasted draft pick. Houston Football Gods at work again
He was an injury case when we drafted him and he's been one ever since. Maybe he'll heal up and we'll get some good use of him, who knows? I'll remain negative until I can see him put together at least half a season before being on the injured list again.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Foreman was coming off a 2000 yard season when the Texans drafted him. And he was a 3rd round pick. Not a bad pick at all, considering no one knew he would rupture his Achilles on a long TD run. Foreman had looked great in the game prior to that.
Not true,

CnD said at the time his broken foot was going to lead to compensatory injuries.

For the record I wanted Ricky to pick Foreman. I should've listened to CnD.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
what would really be great is if all the aging and great QB's like brady brees and rivers all dont play has good next year when they play us or not play at all