Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 needs....

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
I know this is pre mature since we're on a 9 game win streak but we have a few major flaws that we need addressed in the off season to become truly elite.

OLINE - We all know it's a issue, we need to draft some 3rd and 4th rounders and hit the FA market IMO. Watson is to valuble to leave him unprotected like he is.

SECONDARY - We have a good safety group IMO. But we need to upgrade the CBs IMO. Besides Joseph who else do we really have at CB, and he is getting old.

We have won 9 games in a row with an easy schedule this season, but that ends in the playoffs where they are all pretty good teams. With the above upgrades this could be one of the most dominate teams in the NFL.

I mentioned that I would wait until the Texans were further along before assessing the OL. I think there are a few more issues to settle than just the OL for 2019. But nothing like discussing solutions.

First, I want a new LT but I fear the highest rated are going to be gone fast and early. Trading up to get a LT would be extremely costly and limit the ability to address other pressing needs. So, I'm going to go the route some of you have mentioned and get a veteran LT via FA and then stock up in the draft.

Second, I'm going to need more picks to address the needs for starters and depth. If I trade back in RD1, I'm going to pick up a pick in RD3. Next, I'm going to tag Clowney and trade him while picking up a couple of picks. The good thing, there are teams with extra picks that could use or may covet Clowney if he were available. Some of you will say those teams would just draft a DE/OLB....that could be said for every veteran Pro Bowler traded before the draft for picks. A proven veteran is still a sound move for teams with the picks to spare.

Third, I'm going to trade Fuller while he has some value b/c so far he's been exciting "when" he's been on the field. He's been out for some period of time each and every season. If the Texans could recoup a RD4 pick with this type of trade, it would be worth it. Maybe the Texans can get a replacement that can stay on the field for 16 games b/c of this trade.

Anyhow, it may not be that far fetched to pick up 3-4 additional picks for the 2019 NFL Draft. If I got those picks.....I used a simulator to try and see what I could walk away with in the draft having 11 picks to work with. I was little more than surprised with the results:

RD1-29 (TB): LT- Andre Dillard, (6-5 @ 306 lbs / 5.10-40) Washington State

RD2-02 (CT): ILB- Germaine Pratt, (6-2 @ 241 lbs / 4.55-40) NC State

RD2-25: CB- Julien Love, (5-10 @ 189 lbs / 4.40-40) Notre Dame

RD2-27: WR- Riley Ridley, (6-2 @ 200 lbs / 4.38-40) Georgia **Speed bumps his status**

RD3-02 (TB): OC- Dalton Risner, (6-4 @ 300 lbs / 5.20-40) Kansas State

RD3-05 (CT): OLB- Chase Winovich, (6-3 @ 258 lbs / 4.72-40) Michigan

RD3-26: CB- JoeJuan Williams, (6-3 @ 208 lbs / 4.48-40) Vanderbilt

RD4-10 (FT): CB- Isaiah Johnson, (6-2 @ 198 lbs / 4.46-40) Houston

RD5-27: DE- Corbin Kaufusi, (6-8 @ 285 lbs / 4.80-40) BYU

RD6-26: FS- Chris Johnson, (6-2 @ 200 lbs / 4.44-40) North Alabama

RD7-27: SS- Ulysees Gilbert III, (6-1 @ 225 lbs / 4.46-40) Akron

(TB) Trade Back / (CT) Clowney Trade / (FT) Fuller Trade

One thing this draft gives me....a slew of new CB's, sound help on the OL, a big presence at ILB / WR / OLB / DE, and a couple of physical speed guys on the backend for ST's as they gain experience at their respective positions.

I would sign UFA, LT- Donovan Smith, Tampa Bay to hold down the fort in 2019 and possibly 2020, depending on how Andre Dillard progresses. Davenport and Henderson would have a big battle for a roster spot in 2019.

Last edited:
I know this is pre mature since we're on a 9 game win streak but we have a few major flaws that we need addressed in the off season to become truly elite.

OLINE - We all know it's a issue, we need to draft some 3rd and 4th rounders and hit the FA market IMO. Watson is to valuble to leave him unprotected like he is.

SECONDARY - We have a good safety group IMO. But we need to upgrade the CBs IMO. Besides Joseph who else do we really have at CB, and he is getting old.

We have won 9 games in a row with an easy schedule this season, but that ends in the playoffs where they are all pretty good teams. With the above upgrades this could be one of the most dominate teams in the NFL.

And some of the best luck ever witnessed in the NFL.

In addition to the OP's suggestions, I can see Texans going after another WR - insurance for Fuller and Coutee who are both currently injured.
Same goes for RB as Foreman may never fully recover from his Achilles injury.
Don't be surprised if they go after ILB and OLB somewhere in the draft also.
We simply must fix the oline, but, if there is an ascendant talent they place very high on their list just waiting to be picked, I can't see them passing him up.

I mentioned that I would wait until the Texans were further along before assessing the OL. I think there are a few more issues to settle than just the OL for 2019. But nothing like discussing solutions.

First, I want a new LT but I fear the highest rated are going to be gone fast and early. Trading up to get a LT would be extremely costly and limit the ability to address other pressing needs. So, I'm going to go the route some of you have mentioned and get a veteran LT via FA and then stock up in the draft.

Second, I'm going to need more picks to address the needs for starters and depth. If I trade back in RD1, I'm going to pick up a pick in RD3. Next, I'm going to tag Clowney and trade him while picking up a couple of picks. The good thing, there are teams with extra picks that could use or may covet Clowney if he were available. Some of you will say those teams would just draft a DE/OLB....that could be said for every veteran Pro Bowler traded before the draft for picks. A proven veteran is still a sound move for teams with the picks to spare.

Third, I'm going to trade Fuller while he has some value b/c so far he's been exciting "when" he's been on the field. He's been out for some period of time each and every season. If the Texans could recoup a RD4 pick with this type of trade, it would be worth it. Maybe the Texans can get a replacement that can stay on the field for 16 games b/c of this trade.

Anyhow, it may not be that far fetched to pick up 3-4 additional picks for the 2019 NFL Draft. If I got those picks.....I used a simulator to try and see what I could walk away with in the draft having 11 picks to work with. I was little more than surprised with the results:

RD1-29 (TB): LT- Andre Dillard, (6-5 @ 306 lbs / 5.10-40) Washington State

RD2-02 (CT): ILB- Germaine Pratt, (6-2 @ 241 lbs / 4.55-40) NC State

RD2-25: CB- Julien Love, (5-10 @ 189 lbs / 4.40-40) Notre Dame

RD2-27: WR- Riley Ridley, (6-2 @ 200 lbs / 4.38-40) Georgia **Speed bumps his status**

RD3-02 (TB): OC- Dalton Risner, (6-4 @ 300 lbs / 5.20-40) Kansas State

RD3-05 (CT): OLB- Chase Winovich, (6-3 @ 258 lbs / 4.72-40) Michigan

RD3-26: CB- JoeJuan Williams, (6-3 @ 208 lbs / 4.48-40) Vanderbilt

RD4-10 (FT): CB- Isaiah Johnson, (6-2 @ 198 lbs / 4.46-40) Houston

RD5-27: DE- Corbin Kaufusi, (6-8 @ 285 lbs / 4.80-40) BYU

RD6-26: FS- Chris Johnson, (6-2 @ 200 lbs / 4.44-40) North Alabama

RD7-27: SS- Ulysees Gilbert III, (6-1 @ 225 lbs / 4.46-40) Akron

(TB) Trade Back / (CT) Clowney Trade / (FT) Fuller Trade

One thing this draft gives me....a slew of new CB's, sound help on the OL, a big presence at ILB / WR / OLB / DE, and a couple of physical speed guys on the backend for ST's as they gain experience at their respective positions.

I would sign UFA, LT- Donovan Smith, Tampa Bay to hold down the fort in 2019 and possibly 2020, depending on how Andre Dillard progresses. Davenport and Henderson would have a big battle for a roster spot in 2019.

Some of the guys mentioned that trading Mercilus would be a good move. If I could get another pick, I'd be good to go considering replacing his current production isn't going to be such an uphill battle.

In this case, I may have already answered the Mercilus trade question by already having drafted Chase Winovich and Corbin Kaufusi in this Mock.

My guess, Mercilus probably returns the Texans a RD3 or RD4 at best b/c of the slip in production. With another pick in this mix........I'd add:

OT- Max Scharping, (6-6 @ 320 lbs / 5.14-40) Northern Illinois

Dillard, Risner and Scharping would be a hell of haul for the OL.

How about a merge mods?

One is draft only (in the college/draft forum). That's where most of the draft talk should go. The other includes free agency, trades, who to get rid of, cap, etc.

Again, extensive draft prospect discussion should go in the other thread.

One is draft only (in the college/draft forum). That's where most of the draft talk should go. The other includes free agency, trades, who to get rid of, cap, etc.

Again, extensive draft prospect discussion should go in the other thread.

but you know that ain't happening

Some of the guys mentioned that trading Mercilus would be a good move. If I could get another pick, I'd be good to go considering replacing his current production isn't going to be such an uphill battle.

Trading Mercilus would be a GREAT move, since he will a real candidate to be cut after this season. He has a low dead money amount, a starter contract and little production since 2016. Just as observed he appears to be highly replaceable which exact why the upset would be someone trading a player/pick of value instead just waiting for him to be cut and offering Whitney a contract closer than not to the veteran minimum.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/whitney-mercilus-9836/

Last edited:
Corner back
Left Tackle
Left Guard
Right Tackle
Right Guard
Line backer
Running Back

In THAT particular order...

For those stating CB as the highest need... are you expecting KJax not to re-sign? I just can't see how you'd prioritize CB over LT, even if KJax signs elsewhere.

Both positions could be considered on equal footing. But the first pick has to be LT. But with JJo becoming too old to man the position and he's just not physical enough to play FS. KJo has been concussed out of the NFL and never progressed beyond his rookie season, actually he regressed. KJax is playing for a new contract and he still can't cover while chasing a receiver. KJax has gotten time at FS this season. He has proven to be plenty physical and that a lot of us were correct when we assessed that he was a natural FS playing CB.

The Texans must address the CB's as much as they address the OT situation. That requires more picks or more money than they currently have to play with. Hence the moves I recommended above.

I'm not blowing off the idea of trading Miller, signing Bell so the team could go into 2019 with a running game featuring Bell, Foreman and Blue. These RB's would seem to fit O'Brien's idea of a prototypical RB for his scheme. This extra pick (#6) would permit the team to grab a true blocking TE in this draft. Hard to peg his value but I'm guessing he would return a RD4 or RD5.

Best available might very well be CB or edge. You don't force it. Might have to add OT in later rounds. I would love it if one of the top LT's fell to us, but if not you go with your board

I generally agree, but as bad as the OT's are, if you have to trade up to fill the biggest need on this team IMHO, you pay the price and make the trade up to fill the need.

I generally agree, but as bad as the OT's are, if you have to trade up to fill the biggest need on this team IMHO, you pay the price and make the trade up to fill the need.
I agree somewhat but also I have a limit on what Im spending to get it. Plus you never know who will fall, every draft people fall right into your lap so just all depends for me. But I'm sure Gaines would make a move if he saw someone he wanted without a doubt. Also I don't think Lamm has been awful at RT and I don't know if someone can refresh my memory but for how ever long Henderson played in that Pats game how did he look? I know no where close enough to evaluate but They probably bring him back and make him the future RT.

Yeah trade up if necessary if you believe strongly that's your guy, but if not you have to take top guy on your board that's available... or if more than one there trade down even

as the list of underclassmen declaring grows, my hope that a blue chip LT being available in the late 20's also grows. Some mocks have Greg Little falling in our laps .. I'd be ok with that. I wouldnt be ok with blowing picks to move up in a fairly deep draft, if it was a down year then yes you have to maximize the talent pool and that would involve some draft mobility. This year there's like 5 1st round type CB's .. holy smokes its edge rusher/DL paradise this year .. you'll have the poor teams desperate for QB. So it may bode well for the Texans to sit still or even trade back. This team will be a playoff team, no need to reinvent the wheel. Pick up the most quality players you can when you can.

I agree somewhat but also I have a limit on what Im spending to get it. Plus you never know who will fall, every draft people fall right into your lap so just all depends for me. But I'm sure Gaines would make a move if he saw someone he wanted without a doubt. Also I don't think Lamm has been awful at RT and I don't know if someone can refresh my memory but for how ever long Henderson played in that Pats game how did he look? I know no where close enough to evaluate but They probably bring him back and make him the future RT.

I think they go with Lamm next yr and bring Henderson back for depth and then add CB/WR/RB in addition to LT in the draft. Most of all, after the LT/CB picks early I think after Gaines picks last yr I think he will go BPA with the idea of improving specific areas of the team.

I think they go with Lamm next yr and bring Henderson back for depth and then add CB/WR/RB in addition to LT in the draft. Most of all, after the LT/CB picks early I think after Gaines picks last yr I think he will go BPA with the idea of improving specific areas of the team.

I think it's important they don't press for a LT to start next year... if it happens great, but don't force a Jason Smith... take what's there

Would you bring demaryius back on a reconstructed contract?

as the list of underclassmen declaring grows, my hope that a blue chip LT being available in the late 20's also grows. Some mocks have Greg Little falling in our laps .. I'd be ok with that. I wouldnt be ok with blowing picks to move up in a fairly deep draft, if it was a down year then yes you have to maximize the talent pool and that would involve some draft mobility. This year there's like 5 1st round type CB's .. holy smokes its edge rusher/DL paradise this year .. you'll have the poor teams desperate for QB. So it may bode well for the Texans to sit still or even trade back. This team will be a playoff team, no need to reinvent the wheel. Pick up the most quality players you can when you can.

Do whatever you have to do to fill the most glaring needs. If a guy like Little falls to say 15 I'm going up and getting him at the cost of a 1st/2nd/5th. That still leaves you a 2nd/3rd/6th/7th to add talent. Protecting Watson is job #1.

Do whatever you have to do to fill the most glaring needs. If a guy like Little falls to say 15 I'm going up and getting him at the cost of a 1st/2nd/5th. That still leaves you a 2nd/3rd/6th/7th to add talent. Protecting Watson is job #1.

Yeah if you think Little is the guy... some reports I've read say he's not all that

no way not me. not next year. i'd just take BPA at 27 or whatever and then see what drops to 2. I'd be more prone to trade back and get more picks not less. Lets see how the offensive line finishes the season, that may determine alot.

If we were on the outside looking in of the playoffs, or finishing a horrific season then yes it would be alot easier to justify reaching for need, but his team is good. The line could be better next year without sacrificing anything.

For those stating CB as the highest need... are you expecting KJax not to re-sign? I just can't see how you'd prioritize CB over LT, even if KJax signs elsewhere.
I think tackle is highest need, but I'd rather go after CB first because it's a generally more reliable pick. Missing on a tackle with your 1st rnd pick is a disaster. I'd rather pick 3 of them in the lower rounds. Drafting tackles is high variance as I pointed out here...

That's a good reason to be cautious, but it's not the biggest in my opinion. The #1 reason to be very careful here can be summed up as: Drafting tackles is a crapshoot.

This article is a couple of years old, but the points made are still valid. Key take-aways:

In the past 10 years, there have been five tackles chosen either first or second overall. Above-average starting tackles today among those five: zero.

The odds of picking even a good tackle very high are long. Of the 17 tackles picked in the top 10 since 2005, only three were ever first-team all-pro

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/24/nfl-draft-combine-offensive-tackles-history

I think tackle is highest need, but I'd rather go after CB first because it's a generally more reliable pick. Missing on a tackle with your 1st rnd pick is a disaster. I'd rather pick 3 of them in the lower rounds. Drafting tackles is high variance as I pointed out here...
Yea its a hit or miss like everything else but this one really stands out like a sore thumb.

I think you can move up in any draft no matter how deep the perceived talent is.

If they really like a guy and think he’s a difference maker for this team, go get him.

There might be guys who others have highly rated but they might not like them as much or they may just really love a guy who may not fall.

Now if they feel there’s not much difference between guys then by all means stay put or even move down. But pre draft analysis from the masses saying that a certain position is deep or whatever should be taken with a grain of salt.

Of course we all reserve the right to ***** about their decisions either way :)

Yeah if you think Little is the guy... some reports I've read say he's not all that

From what I've seen I like him alot.

Very athletic in pass pro and while he's not a pancake guy in the run game he's a very good wall off blocker. You should go check out his Alabama/LSU games and get back to me.

From what I've seen I like him alot.

Very athletic in pass pro and while he's not a pancake guy in the run game he's a very good wall off blocker. You should go check out his Alabama/LSU games and get back to me.

This is why I love talking football with you man.

You will spend 30 mins checking out those games. I also would suggest you check out the A&M game.

Reactions: JB
Best available might very well be CB or edge. You don't force it. Might have to add OT in later rounds. I would love it if one of the top LT's fell to us, but if not you go with your board

I agree …. if there is a better CB or Pass rusher available you take that guy …. especially if you are planning to move on from Mercilus.

For me , it would be ideal to come away with "Quality starters" at LT & CB and an edge rusher early in the draft …. but at each point in the draft , I'm taking the best player regardless of position - We are beyond having to pick a "position" now that we have our QB. That's the only position where need outweighs talent.

And as far as the OL is concerned …. as bad as they are , they've gotten the job done more often than not this season …. (did I really just say that?!) I'm not ready to give up on Davenport just yet …. but would like to have another viable option. What OT's are available in FA ?
Also what's Lamm's contract status ? He's the piece that scares me - Every preseason he looks great , makes you think he can fill the position for the duration then sh!tz the bed in the regular season tho he has been serviceable this year. But there have been times where he doesn't look like he belongs coaching a pop warner OL much less playing a starting role at RT in the NFL.

I really wish I knew what the plan was in the secondary …. KJ's may have priced himself out of the Texans price range playing well at two positions. Do they extend him ? At corner he's average at best but the versatility …. without him that secondary is BAD. What about JJo ?

So damn many questions right now …. hard to answer any of them without more information / knowing their plans with current players. - KJ , JJo , Thomas at WR , Mercilus , Clowney , Lamm , Fuller ?

I want our first three picks to be LT, CB and HB - in that order if possible (of course best player available plays a role here) - after that WR, edge rusher and G in no particular order...

Put O-line has greatly improved but we still need to add 2 pieces here. I wouldn’t mind to get a CB in FA...

So damn many questions right now …. hard to answer any of them without more information / knowing their plans with current players. - KJ , JJo , Thomas at WR , Mercilus , Clowney , Lamm , Fuller ?

There are, and unfortunately any answers we came up wouldn't mean squat. We're not so innocent bystanders with absolutely no influence regardless what many here seem to think

Last edited:
I want our first three picks to be LT, CB and HB - in that order if possible (of course best player available plays a role here) - after that WR, edge rusher and G in no particular order...

Put O-line has greatly improved but we still need to add 2 pieces here. I wouldn’t mind to get a CB in FA...

This is where I'm at although a speed WR is more of a need than a RB IMHO.

This is where I'm at although a speed WR is more of a need than a RB IMHO.

Yeah at this point I think our biggest need on offense (outside of OL) is a dynamic WR... Isabella maybe? That highlight clip Lucky posted looks pretty damn good

Yeah at this point I think our biggest need on offense (outside of OL) is a dynamic WR... Isabella maybe? That highlight clip Lucky posted looks pretty damn good

I cant wait to see Isabella in the Sr. Bowl.

I think he's more than just a slot guy from watching highlights. If you want to draft him you will probably need to use a 2nd to get him. He will be long gone before the Texans are picking late in the 3rd.

Locking at WR prospects on Walter Football. Anyone have any thought on K J Hill.

I don't, but I would certainly like to know how you guys don't lose your sanity while trying to navigate through Mr. Cherpinsky's sight. I get hung up by 30 minutes any time I try to look up something .... anything ! Can anyone enlighten me .... please ?

Back