Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Cougars

gwallaia

Staff member
Huge stage tonight for the Coogs against #4 Oklahoma. How will Holgrosen do in his debut and how will King perform after his injury from last season?

I don't think we will win tonight but it should be a high scoring affair. Something like 50 something to 30 something final.

GO COOGS!! Let's beat OU twice in a row!

After 2 weeks I don't really know what to think about this team. I knew the secondary would be an issue, but it seems like just like in 2008 we are not in sync with the Air Raid offense yet. This will be a huge test this week and I really expect this to be one of those who has the ball last wins type of games.

I know they went conservative in the 2nd half last week,but the offense seemed out of synch most of the game.

They need a good start we can't afford to fall behind and have to climb uphill against a good offense like in the OU game.

It's clear that the offense has not completely gelled yet. Holgrosen is playing King differently not letting him run as much.

And the defense is terrible. I expect a very mediocre team this season but Holgrosen will build them up.

I think all the coaching changes and mediocre recruiting has finally caught up to us in a way. I do think a couple good classes plus using the transfer portal right could fix it within 2 yrs.

UH needs the BIG 12 to extend an invite to the conference. Chances this school steals another 5 star blue chip recruit will be slim to none as long as they remain in the American.

The defense last season was the tale of 2 different units.....one that had Oliver and one that didn't.

UH needs the BIG 12 to extend an invite to the conference. Chances this school steals another 5 star blue chip recruit will be slim to none as long as they remain in the American.

The defense last season was the tale of 2 different units.....one that had Oliver and one that didn't.

I have never seen so many injuries to one position as the dline last year. UH lost the entire 2 deep dline plus a starting LB over the course of the season. They had true freshman who had no business on the field by the end of the year and they were just overmatched.

Its crazy that with a good DC last years defense could have been good, but a terrible DC plus all the injuries couldn't overcome that terrible scheme. Its unreal that they had 3 NFL players on that terrible unit.

Hey guys, I have some questions regarding tailgating at NRG this Friday.

My BIL gave me tickets to the game and parking pass at the Green Lot.
Does that mean I can take as many people that can fit into an SUV or a van to tailgate at the lot?

Also, if we walk to this event, can we walk back to the lot freely?
I mean, does everybody have free access to the parking lot to tailgate?

http://www.advocaretexaskickoff.com/texfest/

Thanks, i tried to asked the ticket office, but they only sell tailgating tickets for Texans games.
Even the supervisor doesn't have an answer.
The only thing they can tell me is that they're not as strict about the college events, especially with the kick-off party that will be going on.
They think it's at the discretion of the parking lot attendants, but no firm answer.

So i want to ask if anybody had done this in past years?

Another run oriented offense for the Cougars......and another loss. Looking forward to when this aerial offense is supposed to have the wraps taken off.

I really don't think this will ever happen. I've heard people like Barry Switzer say multiple times Big12 would be crazy to do that. And I bet that's a general consensus among the Big 12 main powers. Why bring in another school that will likely draw heavily from everyone's talent pool that doesn't have a strong following and isn't likely to bring in a whole lot in terms of revenue.

I hate the college sports system in general, but as long as it is what it is, UH is a long shot to join the Big 12. They probably have a better chance with Pac 12.

Another run oriented offense for the Cougars......and another loss. Looking forward to when this aerial offense is supposed to have the wraps taken off.

That will be next year we when have a qb that can throw the ball with some accuracy. King is a square peg in a round hole in this system and DH is doing things he doesn't like to do like running the QB because thats what King does well.

I thought the game plan was good last night run the ball and not go too fast with tempo to give the defense rest. We just shot ourselves in the foot with penalties every time we did something positive.

Defensively we knew weren't getting near the qb with our pass rush and I don't trust these CB's in man to man so drop 8 and cover and maybe some deflections will bounce into our hands. We picked off 1 and dropped 2 more possible interceptions. I read yesterday Wazzau didn't give up a sack all year last year vs the blitz.

This season is starting off a lot like 2008 which was the last time we installed the Air Raid offense. We started out 1-3 and lost bad vs OSU and had close losses vs CSU and Air Force. Then we finally put it together and beat 2 ranked teams and won our first bowl game in a zillion years. I don't think we will be that good but I think we could still win 6 or 7 and in the first year of a rebuild thats ok.

Last edited:
Our defense is not going to allow us to be very competitive this season.
It’s going to be one of those seasons I look forward to forgetting.

The Coogs need to hit the recruiting trail hard for defensive players from the Houston area.

It's unfortunate because it clouds our view of Holgorsen. Does he suck or is he simply trying to make this happen without the talent he needs to be successful. It's not like he's got a long successful career we can point to and say "See, let him get his players in here and everything will be fine". He's 62-44 and won the Big East 8 years ago. This could go either way.

D'Eriq King rumored to be leaving UH.

Now it appears he will redshirt and return next season

Last edited:
Punting on 2019 and pointing towards 2020. Interesting. I just wonder what effect this will have on recruiting.

I’m trying to understand this. I don’t think King is being allowed to maximize his abilities under Holgrosen’s system. So maybe redshirting him will give him time to adjust, I just don’t know.

I’m trying to understand this. I don’t think King is being allowed to maximize his abilities under Holgrosen’s system. So maybe redshirting him will give him time to adjust, I just don’t know.

I don't think he plays another down for UH. I will be stunned if he comes back next year and plays for UH.

Let's be honest King has been terrible so far this year. He is at 52 % completion pct and 6 ypa so far through 4 games. That is not what this offense is designed to do. The system is get it out of the QB's hands and into the WR's hands for them to do the work.

I hope Tune plays well and we just move on from this distraction.

Back