Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2017 Houston Texans Official OTA's, Minicamp, and Training Camp Thread

It would be nice to be surprised, but this preseason has been no surprise except for all the local reporting that is trying to do everything and anything to put lipstick on a pig that is the Oline.
Good points. After this last preseason game I am back to being glass half empty. With the line being what it is we will be lucky to win 6 or 7 games let alone go 9-7 or better.

They never had more than 2 first stringers on the front 4 or 5
Often times they also have 2 second stringers on the second level (LBs).

Here's what they started out with:
LDE 93 Guy Lawrence (2nd), LDT 99 Vince Valentine (2nd), RDT 90 Malcom Brown (1st), 94 RDE Kony Ealy (1st)
LOLB 48 Harvey Langi (3rd) ROLB 53 Kyle Van Noy (2nd)
52 MLB Elandon Roberts (2nd)
In fact, that's how they played the whole first series.

On the second series, they brought in another 3rd stringer on the line (#64), but replace a second stringer at LB with Harris #45:
48-3, 97-1, 99-2, 64-3
53-2, 45-1
That was how they played for the most part on the second series.

On one play, they put in a 4th stringer #70 Adam Butler
On short yardage, they added another second-string lineman #93

I had charted the whole two series, play by play.
Thanks for taking the time to do the research. With that said you could have charted our match ups to theirs.

Preseason is supposed to show us where we need work and also who will or won't make the team. I won't get too worked up over the preseason. With so many back ups and uneven match ups it is hard to fairly judge anything we see. I will just look at positional battles for the final depth chart and for who makes the team and who doesn't. I will not worry too much about wins or losses in the preseason. However I do have some concerns with the team, mainly our offensive line.

As far as 1st, 2nd and 3rd string match ups it is wise to take into account that the depth charts change. A player listed as 1rst string one week may be dropped down to 2nd string or lower the next.

However, we all know our major problem is the O-line. I will not place all the blame on Rick Smith though. I think BO'b is also a part of the process that saw us neglect the O-line.

Bill O'Brien said that by dedicating the Texans' season to the city of Houston, he hopes the wins can lift people's spirits as they recover from this disaster.

Sarah Barshop, ESPN Staff Writer
They sure did a good job steering people away from the last game to concentrate on the situation at hand.
Good job, McNair.

:bravo::kitten:

Let's see how the Arlington Cowboys look.

They have a stout offensive line, should be good match for our DL, if starters even play

The announcement has since be rescinded. The Cowboys said it was premature. I'm guessing the Texans don't want to make that call until later in the week.

The official statement that was rescinded:

DIV7KuUVYAAIZZF.jpg

If the game is held in Houston, it will be an ignorant move................people in most parts of the city will just be trying to put their lives together, not going to a football game that close to Harvey's devastation.

[A way of avoiding having to give refunds to 70,000 people whether they attend or not?]

Sounds to me like the decisions and the wheels to make it happen are already in progress and the City of Arlington was just a bit premature in their announcements.

Didn't know where to post this, but TJ Ward is on the trade block. I would inquire for sure. Not sure what we would offer, maybe Brown? But adding Ward to our defense would be huge.

Didn't know where to post this, but TJ Ward is on the trade block. I would inquire for sure. Not sure what we would offer, maybe Brown? But adding Ward to our defense would be huge.

Didn't we try one of those Denver safeties before?

But yeah, he's a much better player and would be huge on our team but I'd rather strengthen our biggest weakness than make it even weaker

Ward has been consistent with his stats & made pro bowl first year of his new contract with Denver in 2014 after pro bowl 2013. He achieved that status again 2015 but didn't play due to Denver in playoffs. 2016 in 14 games 87 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 1 sack, 1 INT and 8 passes defended. His age 30 (Dec 12th 2016) doesn't scare me and a smart offer to extend could be done. His base of 4.5 million could be adjusted to benefit Texans & him + 2-3 years. Denver would eat his prorated bonus of $1.25 m but save his base. They are looking at new guys per Roto. I would not trade Duane Brown unless he has told team he isn't coming back to Houston this season.

I have been so focused on the QBs and OL that I completely ignored the kickers. Has anyone been paying attention to them? Who is leading?

I have been so focused on the QBs and OL that I completely ignored the kickers. Has anyone been paying attention to them? Who is leading?

Novak hasn't attempted a single FG in a game so far and only has 2 kickoffs, both returned (24 & 29 yards).

Fairbairn is 3-4 FG, hitting from 25, 31 & 35, his only miss a 55 yarder.
Fairbairn also has 8 kickoffs, 7 touchbacks, 1 return (22 yards).

game has been cancelled?
Yeppers

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20507235/nfl-cancels-houston-texans-dallas-cowboys-game

The NFL has opted to cancel Thursday's preseason game between the Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, because the Texans will be able to return home to their families in Houston sooner than anticipated.

The Texans said in a statement that they will drive home on Wednesday after finding a safe travel route.

"At this time, the priority of our organization is getting our players, coaches and staff back home to be reunited with their families, many of whom have been evacuated from their homes and are currently sheltered. The team feels it is imperative to get back home to help the Houston community recover from the devastation of Hurricane Harvey," the team said.

I really expected to hear the word "sharp" a lot more often than we did this training camp and preseason
I'm concerned that players aren't being the best teammates they can be as much this offseason also.

My thoughts are with all of you guys across the Houston and other affected areas at this time, hoping everybody is safe and can get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Hasn't been a lot written on it. From what it has it sounds like they are who we think they are. Big leg shotgun or small leg sniper. Think we end up with the same scenario as last year.

Final 53-Man Roster Prediction for the Houston Texans
A final prediction on the Houston Texans final 53-man roster heading to the cut down date on Saturday.

The roster cut down day is just around the corner for the Houston Texans and the NFL. This is our final crack at the 53-man roster prediction for the Texans after all of the work at training camp and the preseason.

Quarterback
(3) Tom Savage, Deshaun Watson, Brandon Weeden

This stays the same, with Tom Savage firmly planted as the starter, Deshaun Watson will enter the season as the clear back-up for the season. Brandon Weeden will more than likely be on the roster due to all of the injury issues the Texans have faced in the past.

Running Back
(6) Lamar Miller, Alfred Blue, D’Onta Foreman, Tyler Ervin, Jordan Todman, Jay Prosch

On the Outside: Dare Ogunbowale, Akeem Hunt

This is the biggest change for the Texans heading into the season. Injury issues for Akeem Hunt have him on the outside while Dare Ogunbowale’s value could be stashed on the practice squad. The hope is to have Alfred Blue and D’Onta Foreman ready to return from their injuries when the season arrives. Tyler Ervin will be a vital part of the offense which means the door is open for Jordan Todman to take over the kick return duties in the meantime. Lamar Miller remains the starter but the subtraction of the fullback and addition of Todman has changed the complexion of the group.

Wide Receiver
(4) DeAndre Hopkins, Braxton Miller, Bruce Ellington, Chris Thompson

Will Fuller (will likely be placed on IR) and Jaelen Strong (one-game suspension) will not count against the 53-man roster, allowing rookie Chris Thomson to crack the wide receiving corps. The Texans will depend on DeAndre Hopkins, Bruce Ellington, Braxton Miller, and Tyler Ervin to shoulder the load of the group. Also expect some help from Stephen Anderson who can help catch passes in a pinch. Thompson will keep the seats warm for Fuller and Strong until they return from their respective absences.THE REST OF THE STORY

Back