Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2009 Signing Day

Silver Oak

All Pro
with RB Christine Michael (West Brook-Beaumont) leading the way, it looks like a really good class for the Aggies...maybe top 10.

with RB Christine Michael (West Brook-Beaumont) leading the way, it looks like a really good class for the Aggies...maybe top 10.

Baylor's class is a thirty position Jump from last years group. So on the one hand, you took twenty something guys after the my way or the highway thingy with Sherman. Of course the Ags got better with their depth. But so did Baylor.

Tech got Ward to switrch over from OU, and that makes this the best class Leach has ever brought in to Lubbock.

Texas finishes top five again.

I was able to see Dre Kirkpatrick choose between Alabama and Texas (chose Bama) on TV.

The kid really took advantage of his moment. When he grabbed the UT hat the air went out of the room. He may have dragged it out a little bit too long but I thought it was easily the most exciting announcement of the day.

Assuming this list directly translates into on-field (which we all know it does not) - OSU is going to have one hell of a defense!

Two of my homies signed! Montreyle McCormick (CB) to UTEP and Chris Omigie (WR) to Kansas. Both go to Martin High School in Arlington.

Alabama is back at the top.

Ags got a great class, but once again sucking hind tit to Texas and OU. 8 or 9 wins for TAMU next season this optimist says.

Hopefully Sherman can coach them up as rankings are not everything.

Alabama is back at the top.

Ags got a great class, but once again sucking hind tit to Texas and OU. 8 or 9 wins for TAMU next season this optimist says.

Hopefully Sherman can coach them up as rankings are not everything.

A&M finally found their stud RB with Christine Michael.

He should pair up nicely with Cyrus Gray. What a nice young duo.

8 wins may be pushing it with that defense, but with Johnson at the helm, a bowl appearance looks very likely.

A&M finally found their stud RB with Christine Michael.

He should pair up nicely with Cyrus Gray. What a nice young duo.

8 wins may be pushing it with that defense, but with Johnson at the helm, a bowl appearance looks very likely.

Good synopsis. It will all, IMO, depend upon the play of last year's 4 star DT Rod Davis and this year's 4 star LB Jonathan Stewart. I think we will be pretty good at S and CB as I expect a lot out of Trent Hunter as well as I believe that Dustin Harris and/or Steven Terrell could really help us at CB and may start. Also, Coryell Judie, a juco, may compete for the starting position as well and he was a 4 star guy.

Our biggest weakness on defense is at DE right now. Matt Moss didn't really live up to expectations, but he also didn't get very many chances to play. Von Miller may move to DE and he would give us some great speed coming off the edge.

On offense, OL is the key. If we can't get some consistency and get them to play as a unit, this will be another crappy season for the Aggies. But if guys like Matt Allen and Michael Shumard can perform decently and maybe we can get something out of Patrick Lewis and/or Steven Barrera, then I believe 8 or 9 wins is possible. Our WR corps is turning into one of the best in the Big XII and Michael and Gray could also be one of the best RB tandems.

Good synopsis. It will all, IMO, depend upon the play of last year's 4 star DT Rod Davis and this year's 4 star LB Jonathan Stewart. I think we will be pretty good at S and CB as I expect a lot out of Trent Hunter as well as I believe that Dustin Harris and/or Steven Terrell could really help us at CB and may start. Also, Coryell Judie, a juco, may compete for the starting position as well and he was a 4 star guy.

Our biggest weakness on defense is at DE right now. Matt Moss didn't really live up to expectations, but he also didn't get very many chances to play. Von Miller may move to DE and he would give us some great speed coming off the edge.

On offense, OL is the key. If we can't get some consistency and get them to play as a unit, this will be another crappy season for the Aggies. But if guys like Matt Allen and Michael Shumard can perform decently and maybe we can get something out of Patrick Lewis and/or Steven Barrera, then I believe 8 or 9 wins is possible. Our WR corps is turning into one of the best in the Big XII and Michael and Gray could also be one of the best RB tandems.

I don't follow A&M much but I'm curious who the QB will be this coming season. Any ideas? Any good?

Florida State had a good class this year.

That's 2 in a row that were really, really good. I think we are about to get back in the top 10.

Ole Miss had a great day. Got a 5-star OT- Bobby Massie. Also depending on which site you go to, we got a 5 or 4-star WR (Mississippi's #1 player) WR Pat Patterson. Looking good for Ole Miss, but dang it's hard to make much ground in the SEC when they're all recruiting well.

1. Alabama
2. LSU
9. Georgia
10. Florida
12. South Carolina
15. Arkansas
17. Ole Miss
18. Auburn
22. Mississippi State
23. Tennessee

I think Jevan Snead can have a terrific senior year. I was really hoping the Texans could pick him up on the 2nd day to groom as Schaub's back up- I think he'd be a perfect fit on this team. But now I'm starting to think he goes earlier than I'm willing to take a QB with Schaub here.

I don't follow A&M much but I'm curious who the QB will be this coming season. Any ideas? Any good?

Jerrod Johnson will return as the starter. He started 9 games last season.

He's a good player. He will be a redshirt junior so the Aggies still have him for two more years.

I know a lot of Aggies had a hard-on for McGee. He was tough as nails, I'll give him that. But Johnson is a far more impressive athlete and has a better arm. If he improves his accuracy, he will be better this year than McGee ever was.

...On offense, OL is the key. If we can't get some consistency and get them to play as a unit, this will be another crappy season for the Aggies. But if guys like Matt Allen and Michael Shumard can perform decently and maybe we can get something out of Patrick Lewis and/or Steven Barrera, then I believe 8 or 9 wins is possible. Our WR corps is turning into one of the best in the Big XII and Michael and Gray could also be one of the best RB tandems.

I played high school ball with Matt Allen. He was about 6-3 280 when he graduated high school and I saw him a year ago and he is loads bigger.

I would say he is about 6-4 300. Solid muscle. Very little fat on him.

I expect him to easily be A&M's best lineman next year.

Michigan finished with yet another top 10 class although those haven't really paid dividends for us lately.

The class is highlighted on defense by 5* DT William Campbell, 4* DE's Craig Roh & Anthony Lalota, and 4* CB/S Justin Turner.

The offense is obviously highlighted by the QB pickups in 4* Dual-Threat QB Tate Forcier and 4* ATH/QB Denard Robinson. Also great pickups at WR with Je'Ron Stokes and on the O-Line.

This class was very impressive concerning the team's struggles last year, but it would seem that things are turning around. Recruiting classes don't mean jack when it comes to translating it to the field, but if RichRod keeps adding players like this it would be hard to see Michigan not competing for a Big Ten title in the coming years.

He's a good player. He will be a redshirt junior so the Aggies still have him for two more years.

I know a lot of Aggies had a hard-on for McGee. He was tough as nails, I'll give him that. But Johnson is a far more impressive athlete and has a better arm. If he improves his accuracy, he will be better this year than McGee ever was.

Johnson is for real. He is light years ahead of McGee in turns of talent and I believe he will be better than Reggie McNeal was years ago. The offense is fine as long as the offensive line can actually start blocking this year. It's the defense that is the problem. Hopefully they can get together and stop somebody next year or it's going to be another long one.

According to rivals.com FSU had the #6 overall recruiting class, right behind Texas. They signed 21 recruits.

Two 5*s, both on defense. #1 DT Jacobbi McDaniel and Under-Armor phenom CB Greg Reid.

Ten 4*s. players DT Demonte McAllister, Army All-American game phenom WR/S Willie Downs, S Jajuan Harley, DE Brandon Jenkins, LB C.J. Mizell on defense. WR Rodney Smith, WR Willie Haulstead, RB Lonnie Pryor, RB Chris Thompson, OL Aubrey Phillips.

Notable 3*s are #1 kicker from Houston, Dustin Hopkins. Also QB Will Secord from Frisco, TX.

I'm pretty excited about our defense for the next 3 years.

According to rivals.com FSU had the #6 overall recruiting class, right behind Texas. They signed 21 recruits.

Two 5*s, both on defense. #1 DT Jacobbi McDaniel and Under-Armor phenom CB Greg Reid.

Ten 4*s. players DT Demonte McAllister, Army All-American game phenom WR/S Willie Downs, S Jajuan Harley, DE Brandon Jenkins, LB C.J. Mizell on defense. WR Rodney Smith, WR Willie Haulstead, RB Lonnie Pryor, RB Chris Thompson, OL Aubrey Phillips.

Notable 3*s are #1 kicker from Houston, Dustin Hopkins. Also QB Will Secord from Frisco, TX.

I'm pretty excited about our defense for the next 3 years.

I love Greg Reid. Best player in the Fla St. class IMO.

Texas finishes top five again....

To add on to this, here are the Horns top recruits this year:

We brought in three 5* prospects. Alex Okafor, the #1 strong side DE in the country. Garrett Gilbert, the #2 QB in the nation and the Gatorade National Player of the Year. And Mason Walters, the #2 OT in the country, who has the ability to play either tackle spot and center.

We also brought in 11 4* prospects, led by DT Calvin Howell and OT Garrett Porter. Other top prospects are physical 190 lb CB Marcus Davis and 6-3 CB Eryon Barnett, 235 lb HB Chris Whaley, and the #3 ranked player in Arkansas DT Derek Johnson (our ONLY out of state commit),

We also brought in a few 3* prospects, led by a TE, Barrett Matthews, who is an elite athlete.

We finished second place on Devon Kennard (#1 DE) and Dre Kirkpatrick (#1 CB) so I applaud the staff for going after those guys hard. But in the end, second place doesn't mean anything and it hurts not to land those guys.

Yeah, McGee was fun to watch, but I really believe Fran destroyed him. The guy showed in the Texas game in 07 that he can still fling the ball down the field. This year he was battling a shoulder injury and just never seemed to get in the rhythm. The way I see it, I give him about a 40% chance of making an NFL team. He's got a lot of the tools and as you said is tough as nails, but can he be coached up? I agree about Jerrod.

I played high school ball with Matt Allen. He was about 6-3 280 when he graduated high school and I saw him a year ago and he is loads bigger.

I would say he is about 6-4 300. Solid muscle. Very little fat on him.

I expect him to easily be A&M's best lineman next year.

Good stuff man. From everything I have heard and read about Matt Allen, he is the real deal. The line definitely needs the help, and I hope he can be a big key to a better performance from the OL.

Johnson is for real. He is light years ahead of McGee in turns of talent and I believe he will be better than Reggie McNeal was years ago. The offense is fine as long as the offensive line can actually start blocking this year. It's the defense that is the problem. Hopefully they can get together and stop somebody next year or it's going to be another long one.

I agree about the offense. Those receivers are going to be tough to handle and by the time he is done, Jeff Fuller will likely hold every single A&M receiving record. A lesser known guy I am hearing about as a possible contributor for us is Ryan Swope. He played HB in high school but will likely be moved to receiver. From what I have heard, he will probably be kind of an H-Back coming out of the backfield at times as well as playing in the slot. I cannot wait to see Christine Michael as well.

I have mixed emotions about the defense. I really liked what I saw from Eddie Brown, DT, and think we may benefit from Kellen Heard's lazy ass taking a hike. The guy has tons of talent but brings zero effort. DE will definitely be a problem but maybe, just maybe, Matt Moss, 4 start juco, will step up and hold down the weakside. I'm fine with Featherston/Lewis at MLB and if Jonathan Stewart shows some promise, LB may not be a problem. Finally, as strange as this is, I believe DB is the biggest strength on defense for the Aggies. Trent Hunter was a diamond in the rough, Jordan Pugh is a hard-hitting corner and pretty good in coverage, and I love the incoming class of DBs. Regardless, it's all speculation and all we can do is just wait-and-see.

The following are the Hightower students who signed fully inclusive scholarships.

Alex Francis (DB)- Rice University
AJ Highsmithn (QB)- University of Miami
Kelvin Jackson (OL)- United States Naval Academy
Darius Johnson (WR)- Southern Methodist University
Dele Junaid (S)- University of Mississippi
Phillip Steward (LB)- University of Houston
Colton Valencia (S)- Texas A&M University

That's my high school! I have like 3 classes with him this year, and kept on hinting at him to go to A&M haha. He should get some decent PT as a freshman.

That's my high school! I have like 3 classes with him this year, and kept on hinting at him to go to A&M haha. He should get some decent PT as a freshman.

As dorky as it might be, I'd recommend getting an autograph now. The guy looks like he just has "it" and the more scouts watch him, the more they seem to come away thinking he has the tools to be an NFL RB. Pretty cool you have classes with him. He seems like a good guy. Would that be accurate?

I think Jevan Snead can have a terrific senior year. I was really hoping the Texans could pick him up on the 2nd day to groom as Schaub's back up- I think he'd be a perfect fit on this team. But now I'm starting to think he goes earlier than I'm willing to take a QB with Schaub here.

It'd be nice if the Texans gets an Ex-Texas Longhorns player, that dude is awesome.

Anyway, congrats on y'all win against the Tech.

Bull, he's a whiny little girl, always will be.

LOL. I'm a Horns fan and even I can admit that McGee had a pair on him.

He did whine at times but nobody can accuse him of not giving full effort on every play.

Yea to bad he couldn't throw the ball worth a damn. Yes I could have a high accuracy percentage if I was throwing 2 yd outs all day long too. The guy had a pair yes, but not a great pro-style quarterback. Coach Fran really ruined his progression as a quarterback with all his focus on the option game. I've actually preferred Johnson ever since his redshirt year.

Somewhat related to this thread but not really:

Texas just held its second junior day and now has 19 commitments for next years (2010) class.

Somewhat related to this thread but not really:

Texas just held its second junior day and now has 19 commitments for next years (2010) class.

Man. As a recruiter Mack is amazing. He has 19 commits for next year already?! Wow.

Back