Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2004 Draft A Success

N

NFNTSKLZ

The 2004 Draft was a definite success. We get a shutdown corner, an awesome DE turning OLB, and...in my opinion the steal of our draft...a safety who, before being injured, was the most feared safety in college football. You are looking at the future of our defense with these picks. Glenn Earl will rehab all season long, much like Willis McGahee did in Buffalo. After this season, Coleman will be released and Earl will take his spot on the field. It seems that Texas will have two of the hardest hitting safeties in the league. And as far as the June 1 cuts....lets just say that Trotter will come trotting back to Texas.

After this season, Coleman will be released and Earl will take his spot on the field.

Very interested to see what Earl will become, but don't know about this part as Earl is a SS and Coleman is being moved to FS. Jamaal Lord was drafted as the experiment at FS. The two big questions on Coleman are will he be able to convert smoothly to the FS position including the tackling run support area and if he does successfully convert, will he be happy with FS money when contract talks come up after next season.

i personally hope coleman stays with us and signs a multi-year deal...he's a really good player and helps our team a lot

NFNTSKLZ said:
The 2004 Draft was a definite success. We get a shutdown corner, an awesome DE turning OLB, and...in my opinion the steal of our draft...a safety who, before being injured, was the most feared safety in college football. You are looking at the future of our defense with these picks. Glenn Earl will rehab all season long, much like Willis McGahee did in Buffalo. After this season, Coleman will be released and Earl will take his spot on the field. It seems that Texas will have two of the hardest hitting safeties in the league. And as far as the June 1 cuts....lets just say that Trotter will come trotting back to Texas.

If this was fantasy college football, then I'd agree with you. However, we still don't know how successful the 2002 draft was. How about seeing what these guys can do on the field in the NFL! :coffee:

Glenn Earl was "the mosted feared safety in college football"?

Do you live in reality?

The 2004 Draft was a definite success? Check back with me in two or three seasons.

As far as the Texans going after any more big name free agents after June 1, forget it. They have no cap space. Clayton shows them at $4.4 under and that's mostly rookie pool. Trotter turned them down once before. Screw him.

Hopefully everything turns out how we planned. Im really excited about Glenn Earl after hearing he was a pre-season all-american. Dunta should be a shutdown CB for years and Babin should supply the rush we so desperately need so it all looks good.

Buff,

You are definitely optimistic. I think there are a lot of questions that will take years to answer about this draft.

Also, I thought Earl was playing SS not FS. I thought I read he could push Brown out of his job.

Trotter would be a huge upgrade over Foreman on the inside. I wouldn't mind adding him.

I believe Coleman's contract expires after this season so we won't need to release him. We just won't re-sign him if we are not interested.

Its nice to see you boyz are still at it :fight: Everything should fall into place as long as the Texans can stay healthy & avoid the injury bug like last year. I'm most keen on watching the defensive 3-4 scheme optimated with a healthy & talented cast of players. If successfully deployed the Texans will vault from last to near the top in defense against the run & much improved against the pass.

The draft however was not a success on the offensive side though Sloan Thomas may provide some bright spots. Dominack Davis was a great looking rookie RB last year. Can he keep it up this year and avoid injury? I hope so. If not are the Texans that confident in Hollings abilities that he can carry the load? Hence what was a source of strength last year could prove the Texans achillies heel this year. I'll be watching the 2004 RB class closely, Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones, Greg Jones, Julius Jones, Mewelde Moore, Chris Perry, Fred Russell & Michael Turner :mag:

We can't let Coleman go after this season. I don't think he'll do great in the FS this year but he'll put up numbers better than Stevens did and that's a definite upgrade nontheless. The Texans need to take it slow with Earl, the guy has the potential to be one of the best SS in the league by his 2nd or 3rd season. His health should remain top priority for the Texans.

Dunta Robinson is a top notch, shutdown CB in the making...I say he's there by next to mid season next year if anything. Jamal Lord has a lot of enthusiasm and I like the guy's spirits...I just hope he isn't just talk.

Trotter had his chance to come home and help build something special, but he decided to go to Washington. I can't blame him for going for the money and a better chance at winning right away, but he missed his chance to play in Houston unless he is willing to come here for a lot less than he is worth.

If Trotter is a upgrade over the exisiting players, then I would love to see us get him.

I am not sure how Robinson is a shutdown corner already. He may have potential; however, it would not be wise to label a CB shutdown until he is there already. Babin should make an impact early. Earl and Lord could be our future safties. Right now I would like to see Brown and Coleman as the starters. I just wonder how McRee fits in the puzzle. It is obvious during nickel/dime/and quarter packages how McRee fits, but will he be satisified with that role.

I don't see Lord making the conversion sucessful to be honest. The skill gap is too wide...particularly when you consider how thin the margins for error are at the NFL level. I honestly thought they drafted him as a running back or potential slot receiver when I 1st saw the Day 2 boards. If Lord works out, then GREAT...but don't hold your breath.

I agree that we actually need to see Dunta play before anointting him as a shutdown corner...potential is there, but let's just be patient. Babs needs to work out, no 2 ways about it, I trust CC and the scouting staff on this one, they are right more often than wrong.

As for all the other fellows...the 2 DE/LBs look like practice squad fodder, Thomas has the thinnest of chances at WR, and BJ...well I hope he does ok and at least makes the practice squad (I wouldn't mind trying to groom him for the #3 job and send Ragone to Canada!)

J-Man said:
the 2 DE/LBs look like practice squad fodder
I have seen Charlie Anderson play and he has legit pass rushing skills and is high energy. You guys will like what you see. He was double-teamed constantly at Ole Miss because they did not have any talent around him. The script will be flipped in the NFL. He will not get that kind of attention. He is a sleeper, and I think he has a real shot to make the final squad.

PS I have been quoting you here lately J-man...mere coincidence. Heck, consider it a compliment....I guess. I always take issue with the people who make the most sense.
;)

With the expanded practice squad rosters, it gives teams more time to develop prospects. I like this move by the league.

:fight: I bit my toungue hard after the draft. I'm not a very good raw, raw homer guy. But the fact remains that CC's drafts have worked out thus far. If it was alright to move up for u know who, then it was alright to move up for the player the Coaching staff felt would push the defense into the top half of the NFL. The downside of it is we infused a division rival with talent. We won't have to wait three years on this draft. We will know this year.

Sorry all haven't figgured out the quotes whistles and bells yet.

I thought the Lord pick was very good. It actually brightened up my second day. For where we were after the Babbin move up, we got a very good athlete, very cheap. My bet is he makes the transition. He has the hips and foot speed for it. At the very least he makes the squad as a sp. team player this year. The upside of him is if he makes the transition, two or three years down the road, he is going to make a very interseting nickel back. As big as the wide receivers are in the NFL today, you can't have too many large DBs.
JMHO.

__V__ said:
I have seen Charlie Anderson play and he has legit pass rushing skills and is high energy. You guys will like what you see. He was double-teamed constantly at Ole Miss because they did not have any talent around him. The script will be flipped in the NFL. He will not get that kind of attention. He is a sleeper, and I think he has a real shot to make the final squad.
;)

V...who do you see Anderson bumping to make the roster? I haven't seen the guy play so I may have prejudged him a bit. Once you get past Wong, Peek, Babs, Shaper, and Foreman the LB picture gets hazy. Evans will stick because of his ST contributions, but the last spot is probably up for grabs between 2 rooks, Polk, and Orr.

John and Lance were talking this morning to the DB coach Jon Hoke and John said that Lord is really, really big and played LB in HS so he understands some. Hoke said that the biggest adjustement is from being chased to being the chaser and breaking down in space. I am starting to like Lord the more I hear about him.

J-Man said:
V...who do you see Anderson bumping to make the roster? I haven't seen the guy play so I may have prejudged him a bit. Once you get past Wong, Peek, Babs, Shaper, and Foreman the LB picture gets hazy. Evans will stick because of his ST contributions, but the last spot is probably up for grabs between 2 rooks, Polk, and Orr.
I'm not sure J. We sure have a nice log-jam back there now with both Orr's and Anderson looking for a spot on the final roster. When I saw Anderson play he was close around 270 as a DE and he was still very quick, but he was covered-up quite a bit with double teams. That should actually help him in the NFL level although it kind of hid him at the College scene. I look forward to how he pans out as a lighter linebacker.

I have followed Dunta throughout his college career on a semi-regular basis, and I think everyone will be excited about his ability and nose for the ball type attitude. He will play most any receiver face up with success on pass plays and then bring the wood on running plays. Again time will tell in the NFL, but he is a special player.

Back