Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

1st win, season opener in 5 years

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Here’s the deal though, if you are going to pretend to be competing with the Brees, Mahomes & Brady’s of this world, you are going to be scheduled against them and have to beat them. If you are going to pretend to be prime time, they are going to schedule those games at tough times in the season.

OB had a record built on beating lesser teams and only occasionally catching above .500 teams on a bad day. First game of the season teams aren’t likely to be weak through injury, beat up, or tired.
It’s stats like this that show the true nature of the Texans under OBrien.
It shows me that the Texans weren't talented enough to be a prime time team.

BOB was part of the prob, but far from the only problem. For instance having undisciplined pieces of trash as team leaders that put self above the team was a big part of the problem.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
Going into week 3 next Thursday nite the Texans will be in First place. We will see what kind of team they are then.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Going into week 3 next Thursday nite the Texans will be in First place. We will see what kind of team they are then.
Second time I heard this. What happened to week 2? Or are we saying is at worst, we'll be tied with another team?

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Just wondering but you do know that the Texans have nothing to do with the schedule or what teams they play right? Not defending the level of play or the coaching but they have gotten some very tough schedules and it had nothing to do with them "pretending to be prime time" it was because they were division champions often because of how horrible the division was. Also overall the AFC is a stronger group of teams than the NFC last decade or so. So yeah not sure what this "pretending" line is because it really doesn't make any sense. The schedule is the schedule and you play against whatever teams they put you up against. Are you saying McNair, OB and the team should have gotten on the mic and said "Yeah we completely suck and have no business playing against these teams. NFL please give us an easy schedule so we don't have to pretend like we are any good."? I can guarantee you that Texans more than once got the schedule and thought that the football gods must hate them.
You play a 1st place schedule if you finish in 1st place in a crappy division. You get put in prime time games if you look like making a run at the Super Bowl off the back of sweeping a crappy division.
All with a highly talented QB who got found out every time he came up against a real contender because he was too busy with Instagram to put in the study hours.
If you get to the wildcard weekend on the back of sweeping a crap division, and come up against a backup QB/another crappy team etc and lose big in the divisional round maybe you end up getting scheduled in prime time despite not being able to match up to the other prime time teams.
Yet the likes of Watson happy to brand themselves on the same level as Lamar Jackson and Pat Mahomes.
So yeah, I think OBrien running around thinking he can be a dick to fans, raffling off all the talent and signing crap players above market value says plenty to him pretending to be something he isn’t, Cal promoting OB to GM after that awful performance against the Chiefs was him thinking the team he was overseeing was better than it was.

But overall, yes, you get put in prime time if you reach the playoffs all the time, you play other division winners if you win a rubbish division each year. OBs record was built on beating sun .500 teams and taking the odd W against a better team on an off day. Playoff blowouts were the ceiling, and then they got cocky overpaying poor talent and put themselves in cap hell.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not negative at all. Just amused at the overreation to one game against a totally unprepared team with a rookie QB playing his 1st ever game, and looking the part.
yeah, but the Texans are first in their division. :koolaid::fans:

It might be the only time this season it'll be this way. So, y'know, that was just H-town's superb owl and all. I hope they made hats for it. I'm a sucker for those hats.
:texan:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You play a 1st place schedule if you finish in 1st place in a crappy division. You get put in prime time games if you look like making a run at the Super Bowl off the back of sweeping a crappy division.
All with a highly talented QB who got found out every time he came up against a real contender because he was too busy with Instagram to put in the study hours.
If you get to the wildcard weekend on the back of sweeping a crap division, and come up against a backup QB/another crappy team etc and lose big in the divisional round maybe you end up getting scheduled in prime time despite not being able to match up to the other prime time teams.
Yet the likes of Watson happy to brand themselves on the same level as Lamar Jackson and Pat Mahomes.
So yeah, I think OBrien running around thinking he can be a dick to fans, raffling off all the talent and signing crap players above market value says plenty to him pretending to be something he isn’t, Cal promoting OB to GM after that awful performance against the Chiefs was him thinking the team he was overseeing was better than it was.

But overall, yes, you get put in prime time if you reach the playoffs all the time, you play other division winners if you win a rubbish division each year. OBs record was built on beating sun .500 teams and taking the odd W against a better team on an off day. Playoff blowouts were the ceiling, and then they got cocky overpaying poor talent and put themselves in cap hell.
Ok that was a lot of random things that made no sense. So what you're saying the Texans shouldn't have been trying to win their division and then trying to go for a SB? Also putting the personal stuff with Watson to the side from a pure talent point of view I would say he is up there with Mahomes and better than Jackson and thats coming from a Ravens fan. Don't forget the first time it was Watson vs Mahomes, Watson won. Chiefs were always a much better team with a better coach and Ravens have a coach that was willing to throw the book out and rebuild it from scratch around Jackson's skill set. As TK has asked several times if Reid had Watson and OB had Mahomes would we have been wishing we had drafted Watson over Mahomes?

I mean if you look at history Pats feasted on a crappy division for decades and then when they went into the playoffs they were injury wise much better than most other teams. Thats not to say that was the only reason they won but lets not pretend it didn't help.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Ok that was a lot of random things that made no sense. So what you're saying the Texans shouldn't have been trying to win their division and then trying to go for a SB? Also putting the personal stuff with Watson to the side from a pure talent point of view I would say he is up there with Mahomes and better than Jackson and thats coming from a Ravens fan. Don't forget the first time it was Watson vs Mahomes, Watson won. Chiefs were always a much better team with a better coach and Ravens have a coach that was willing to throw the book out and rebuild it from scratch around Jackson's skill set. As TK has asked several times if Reid had Watson and OB had Mahomes would we have been wishing we had drafted Watson over Mahomes?

I mean if you look at history Pats feasted on a crappy division for decades and then when they went into the playoffs they were injury wise much better than most other teams. Thats not to say that was the only reason they won but lets not pretend it didn't help.
What I am saying is that the Texans lost sight of the fact they were a good team in a crap division and paid their players as if they were a Super Bowl contender, then began allowing their best players to walk whilst signing mediocre talent because Cal/BOB thought they were better than they were. Hence BOB getting promoted to GM a few months before being fired.
I don’t think it is all random, I think there’s a reason why they were twice humiliated by the Chiefs when it really mattered, and why we are suddenly in cap hell after a little over a decade of managing well.
I don’t think you can compare Bill O’Brien’s Texans to the Patriots under Brady and Belichick at all, it’s an odd point to make because I’m saying the Texans flattered to deceive, the Patriots owned the league for much of 2 decades.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
What I am saying is that the Texans lost sight of the fact they were a good team in a crap division and paid their players as if they were a Super Bowl contender, then began allowing their best players to walk whilst signing mediocre talent because Cal/BOB thought they were better than they were. Hence BOB getting promoted to GM a few months before being fired.
I don’t think it is all random, I think there’s a reason why they were twice humiliated by the Chiefs when it really mattered, and why we are suddenly in cap hell after a little over a decade of managing well.
I don’t think you can compare Bill O’Brien’s Texans to the Patriots under Brady and Belichick at all, it’s an odd point to make because I’m saying the Texans flattered to deceive, the Patriots owned the league for much of 2 decades.
The comparison is that if the Pats basically got a free ride to the playoffs every year because their division was so bad just like the Texans. Difference is what they did in the playoffs once they were there. Doesn’t change the fact though that they played in a crappy division as well.

As far as OB and Cal you’re right OB had no business being GM and the contracts he offered were contracts a HC would offer not a GM.

HCs are just looking at the current session and maybe the next one. They rarely think long term because their job depends on results now. GMs have to think long term and what the team will look like in 10 years which is why their contracts are much longer and they are given, usually, a lot more rope.

I think OB being promoted was an “oh ****” move on Cal’s part not some ego trip. Gaines has to be gotten out of there fast and a replacement found fast and sad as it is to say in that moment you could make an argument that OB was the only person left even remotely qualified.

But I’m curious as to something you said. Which of their “best players” did they let walk?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Keep on telling yourself this.

Give me a team player over a selfish Pervert anyday and twice on Sunday. I dont care what the Texans record is this yr, nobody can win big with uncoachable trash leading the team and that includes Reid.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Another note about this game. The 37 points is a franchise record for most points scored in a season opener.
Show mentioned that on 610 this afternoon. Pretty cool, tbh.

They also mentioned that Trevor Lawrence had never lost a regular season game at the high school or college levels. All of his previous defeats came in playoff games. Welcome to Houston, bud. I hope this is a premonition of things to come in your career. lol

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Show mentioned that on 610 this afternoon. Pretty cool, tbh.

They also mentioned that Trevor Lawrence had never lost a regular season game at the high school or college levels. All of his previous defeats came in playoff games. Welcome to Houston, bud. I hope this is a premonition of things to come in your career. lol
Out of curiosity. I checked the season openers. As expected, with an offseason to prepare, Kubiak has the highest winning percentage and scoring offense. Even in the 2-14 season, Kubiak's team scored 31 points in the opener against the Chargers.

========O'Brien=============
2020: 20-34 loss vs Chiefs
2019: 28-30 loss vs Saints
2018: 20-27 loss vs Patriots
2017: 7-29 loss vs Jags
2016: 23-14 win vs Bears
2015: 20-27 loss vs Chiefs
2014: 17-6 win vs Redskins
========Kubiak=============
2013: 31-28 win vs Chargers
2012: 30-10 win vs Dolphins
2011: 34-7 win vs Colts
2010: 34-24 win vs Colts
2009: 7-24 loss vs Jets
2008: 17-38 loss vs Steelers
2007: 20-3 win vs Chiefs
2006: 10-24 loss vs Eagles
========Capers=============
2005: 7-22 loss vs Bills
2004: 20-27 loss vs Chargers
2003: 21-20 win vs Dolphins
2002: 19-10 win vs Cowboys

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I guess some forget Watson gave the Texans the lead in 2018 and 2019 before the defense gave it up at the end.
Yep. It was Watson and his hero ball. Why on earth would he throw a potential game winning TD pass with 37 seconds left on the clock, then tell Romeo to call a soft defense with six seconds left that allows the Saints to kick a game winning 58 yard FG?

Deshaun Watson, and Drew Brees final drives, Incredible Finish! Texans vs Saints Week 1 - YouTube

1631579262943.png

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep. It was Watson and his hero ball. Why on earth would he throw a potential game winning TD pass with 37 seconds left on the clock, then tell Romeo to call a soft defense with six seconds left that allows the Saints to kick a game winning 58 yard FG?

Deshaun Watson, and Drew Brees final drives, Incredible Finish! Texans vs Saints Week 1 - YouTube

View attachment 9006
I'm just glad we wont be having this discussion anymore soon.

Yes, he made some fantastic throws. What he couldn't do was put together sustained drives and this put a suspect defense to begin with in a bad position.

There could be many highlights of his selfishness. A guy wide open 5-8 yds from the LOS and he throws a low percentage deep ball. Not to mention how he did his OL no favors in pass pro.

I assume when he's traded you will be following this POS to your new favorite team.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Yes, he made some fantastic throws. What he couldn't do was put together sustained drives and this put a suspect defense to begin with in a bad position.

There could be many highlights of his selfishness. A guy wide open 5-8 yds from the LOS and he throws a low percentage deep ball. Not to mention how he did his OL no favors in pass pro.

I assume when he's traded you will be following this POS to your new favorite team.
Wrong as usual. Texans won their season opener and you have mentioned Watson more than anyone else on this forum.

I was here before Watson, will be here after him and don't have some obsessive need to post about him every thread to troll this forum. Try again.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wrong as usual. Texans won their season opener and you have mentioned Watson more than anyone else on this forum. I was here before Watson, will be here after him and don't need to post about him every thread to troll this forum. Try again.
I haven't mentioned his name one time.

I have mentioned several times how I'm enjoying the way the Texans are playing team ball and how glad I will be when the Clemson trash will be completely removed from the building down on Kirby.

Back at you man, this has to be eating you up. I mean after they get a stellar performance from TT, you post that video. LMAO

Back at you

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It could stop with you. Got to really want it.
I'm enjoying watching the fanboys meltdown and I'm really looking forward to the trial. This is too much fun, easy pickings. This is very entertaining.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I haven't mentioned his name one time.

I have mentioned several times how I'm enjoying the way the Texans are playing team ball and how glad I will be when the Clemson trash will be completely removed from the building down on Kirby.

Back at you man, this has to be eating you up. I mean after they get a stellar performance from TT, you post that video. LMAO

Back at you
Wrong again. I posted that screenshot in response to @Mr.Scarface's post. You probably was in the middle of one of your obsessive, trash/POS posts. But here is one of my post from yesterday. Try again. LMAO.

Taylor played well today. Many of his throws were high and might be an issue against better defenses. A couple of times, when he released the ball, I swear it would sail on him. However, it might be his throwing motion/release and something I have to get use to seeing.

With that said. It was good enough to win today and I'll gladly take it.

Ok, you are ******* delusional. You never like Watson...fine, I get it. But you are just making **** up now. The whole massage situation is the justification you need to hate Watson, but damn.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ok, you are ******* delusional. You never like Watson...fine, I get it. But you are just making **** up now. The whole massage situation is the justification you need to hate Watson, but damn.
I don't hate anybody and don't need to justify me feelings for anybody.

As far as the 3rd string QB goes, his actions speak for themselves.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What exactly am I supposed to be letting go?

4 yrs of observations?
If you were basing your opinion off of 4 years of observations, there's no way you could claim what you do about his play on the field. This is the same guy who chartered a bus to ride to Jax so he could play with a punctured lung....for his teammates. A guy who for years was getting his ass kicked behind a shitty o-line with guys like Breno Giacomni & Julien Davenport as his bookend tackles. You should revise your statement from "hero" ball to "survival" ball b/c that's really what it was for him.

But we know you're not objective, & we know you're not basing your opinion of him on "4 yrs of observations" but rather the last year. So please stop insulting everyone's intelligence here bro.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Man you’re truly bitter about our team now.
lol I'm just having fun. Apologies if you took offense when it was not intended. :tiphat: It's just football. It's just entertainment.

And I was actually being honest about enjoying this win because most of us don't expect many this season. I think it's a good sign that the 2021 team has some fight in them. You apparently disagree, and that's okay. :ok:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If you were basing your opinion off of 4 years of observations, there's no way you could claim what you do about his play on the field. This is the same guy who chartered a bus to ride to Jax so he could play with a punctured lung....for his teammates. A guy who for years was getting his ass kicked behind a shitty o-line with guys like Breno Giacomni & Julien Davenport as his bookend tackles. You should revise your statement from "hero" ball to "survival" ball b/c that's really what it was for him.

But we know you're not objective, & we know you're not basing your opinion of him on "4 yrs of observations" but rather the last year. So please stop insulting everyone's intelligence here bro.
Funny how Watson is the second highest rated QB in NFL history……behind only Mahomes. Both guys have enough games under their belts to qualify. Mahomes could be expected to have this type of rating based on the team he plays for……Watson on the other hand was strapped with a 50lb bag of shite for a team. Pretty amazing where his career rating sits.

Now, before a couple of the board members blow out a forehead vein….this post is only dealing with the job he’s done on the field of play and has nothing to do with his current legal issues.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Funny how Watson is the second highest rated QB in NFL history……behind only Mahomes. Both guys have enough games under their belts to qualify. Mahomes is expected based on the team he plays……Watson on the other hand was strapped with a 50lb bag of shite for a team. Pretty amazing where his career rating sits.

Now, before a couple of the board members blow out a forehead vein….this post is only dealing with the job on the field of play and has nothing to do with his current legal issues.
Mahomes is great and will be the face of this league and the preeminent QB for the next 10 years…..Some of the throws that kid makes…wow.

But you could make the case that he plays more hero ball than DW4 has ever played. Some of the balls he just throws up, falling down, laying sideways, back across the field, …those throws WREAK of hero ball….& if he were here doing that nonsense …1st of all BoB probably would bench him for doing all that…..but with the likes of Nick Martin blocking for him and him not being as successful doing it here with Keke & Fido as he is with Kelce & Hill, if Steelb were objective, he should say the same things about him as well… But b/c he’s in a much better situation & he gets away with it in KC……& we know that Steelb isn’t objective, he’s likely going to ignore all the hero ball tendencies Mahomes exhibits.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mahomes is great and will be the face of this league and the preeminent QB for the next 10 years…..Some of the throws that kid makes…wow.

But you could make the case that he plays more hero ball than DW4 has ever played. Some of the balls he just throws up, falling down, laying sideways, back across the field, …those throws WREAK of hero ball….& if he were here doing that nonsense …1st of all BoB probably would bench him for doing all that…..but with the likes of Nick Martin blocking for him and him not being as successful doing it here with Keke & Fido as he is with Kelce & Hill, if Steelb were objective, he should say the same things about him as well… But b/c he’s in a much better situation & he gets away with it in KC……& we know that Steelb isn’t objective, he’s likely going to ignore all the hero ball tendencies Mahomes exhibits.
Fact and I'm sure this post will get deleted too and your agenda will be allowed to stay up.

The Texans are where they're currently at today because of 3 reasons.

1. The McNairs own the team and have always put profit above the on field product. Including keeping a POS QB for marketing puposes.

2. RS should've been fired in 2010. Instead he was allowed to hand around and make decisions like drafting the Clemson trash which is why Caserio was left a mess to cleanup.

3. The drafting and paying of a selfish Pervert millions of $$$$$. Then this selfish SOB pulls the trade me card hoping to get traded because the McNair's rightfully wouldn't backup his azz. Like getting traded would help his legal situation. This seems to be the case of a dumbazz being being lead around by a bunch of dumbazzez and frankly anybody who supports this dumbazz you would have to question their character as well. (Not directed at any particular poster.)

4. I just wanted to add anybody that thinks he's anywhere in the same stratosphere as Mahomes is delusional. Mahomes is a smart guy who's the most talented QB in the NFL that constantly works on his game and leads men when his team is down. We saw in 51-7 the stark contrast of the 2 guys as leaders of their teams.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not being able to separate on-field talent vs off-field actions is why you will never be respected on this board. You let your emotions control you. Feel a little bad for you, but I will get over it.
I really dont care who repects me and who doesn't. I've met some great people on this MB. Been to games and other things with a few posters who have disagreed with me over the yrs. They realize that we as fans all want the same things but just have differing opinions and it's certainly not personal. I dont live for others respect but I'm certainly greatful when their respect has been bestowed upon me.

LOL, people have said I've got a business 1st cold streak about me. So I'm actually glad that you see me in this light.

But no I've never liked the 3rd string QB as a person or as a player. So maybe you can just learn to accept my opinion on this topic and that I'm really not surprised the 3rd string QB sabotaged his career and how dumb he had to be to put himself in this position is what is truly amazing to me.

Speaking of respect and emotions on this MB, I would bet that posters who have been emotional throughout the yrs about what a great person/player the 3rd string QB is/has been, has lost alot of respect on this MB. Or atleast I would hope it would be this way or I'm hanging out spending way to much time conversing with the wrong type of people.

Since this has happened I've gained the utmost respect for several posters including a guy like TB who we used to vehemently disagree on this topic.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I think in post 22 I was advocating Carr over Peppers.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I saw this play and immediately thought of your post.