Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

09 Mock Draft

It's not that Tebow has no chance of being an NFL QB, just that it will take him awhile. 3 maybe 4 years I am thinking. We don't really have the luxury of taking a QB first or second round who is going to take 3, 4, or 5 years to come around.

We need impact players right now, specifically on defense.

Agreed

not a sexy pick I know but Texans are playing themselves into an area of the draft you select the most productive impact player available ignoring their potential ceiling. just such a need player who is ready to contribute @ a position of need for the Texans is James Laurinaitis, Ohio State. he could swing outside or play inside plays smart, instinctive with a nose for the ball.

Watched the replay of the BYU New Mexico game from back in october....

What do you guys think of WAC RB Harvey Unga ( pronounced un ha) ? Not a fleet foot guy in terms of speed. But he has nifty feet, knows how to press a hole and...he has arms like six inch pipes. What was that guy the Oilers went into San Diego and won with Gifford Nielson subbing in a play off game...Micheal Moriority....Larry Moriority ? BYU spread.... but a guy that big unless he's a total feminine napkin..He ought to be pretty tough. Pacific rim guy.

RUNNING BACKS

The Cougars were in great shape at running back - until Manase Tonga was determined to be academically ineligible for the 2008 season. Still, they have enough talent and experience to more than get by, provided they stay clear of nagging injuries that hampered them last year.
Of course, the key returner is sophomore Harvey Unga, the 6-foot-tall, 243-pound conference offensive player of the year candidate who burst onto the scene in a big way in 2007, rushing for 1,227 yards and displaying a mixture of speed, power and shiftiness that made Cougar fans forget about Curtis Brown, the program's all-time leading rusher who graduated after the 2006 season.
Unga, who redshirted in 2006 due to a hip injury, not only had 13 touchdowns on 244 carries, but proved to be a capable receiver, too, making 44 catches for 655 yards and four TDs. The 1,227 rushing yards was a MWC record for a freshman and also a BYU freshman record.
With Tonga out of the lineup, look for senior Fui Vakapuna to re-emerge as a battering ram and a lead blocker for Unga. While battling a hand injury and tender ankles last year, Vakapuna still scored 11 touchdowns. He had 252 rushing yards on 73 carries. http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2008/0730/20080730_031935_byuutahtn891_200.jpg

Last edited:
not a sexy pick I know but Texans are playing themselves into an area of the draft you select the most productive impact player available ignoring their potential ceiling. just such a need player who is ready to contribute @ a position of need for the Texans is James Laurinaitis, Ohio State. he could swing outside or play inside plays smart, instinctive with a nose for the ball.

Pretty much what I have been thinking as well. We're thankfully playing our way out of the boom or bust that can be the top ten and more towards the productive impact players. Would not be upset if we chose Laurinaitis. Not sold on Diles and we need a guy who can rev up the intensity on defense. Him or Duke Robinson are my picks.

Pretty much what I have been thinking as well. We're thankfully playing our way out of the boom or bust that can be the top ten and more towards the productive impact players. Would not be upset if we chose Laurinaitis. Not sold on Diles and we need a guy who can rev up the intensity on defense. Him or Duke Robinson are my picks.

This week we jump up one draft spot. We where 12, and this week we should be 13 if I figured out the wins and loses correctly last night.

What makes you think Tebow isn't Vincet Young squared ? Looks like the same guy in a different covering to me....Remeber Troy "Tater tot" Smith and Ginn Jr. ? Easy throwing TDs when your guys are wide open. But doing what most QBs have to do in the NFL....hitting little windows on time and on target.... making reads and going through the progressions....
the load up and hop isn't going to work for little Timmy in the NFL.

not a very sound argument against Tebow, considering most NFL quarterbacks played for big schools that had very talented receivers

bottomline for QB's is that you want a guy who's smart and learns quickly and has all the physical tools. Tebow has all of that. he's poised. he's very athletic. Vince Young just had the physical tools, none of the mental capabilities, and clearly no maturity. Troy Smith was never really considered to be much of a prospect, which is why he went in the later rounds.

i think the two best comparisons with Tebow is Alex Smith and Steve McNair. we'll see whose career he more closely resembles

I think a 1st round LB like Curry, Spikes, Laurinitis or Mauluga could make an awesome trio of LB's for us.

Adibi - Ryans - Curry !?

not a very sound argument against Tebow, considering most NFL quarterbacks played for big schools that had very talented receivers

bottom line for QB's is that you want a guy who's smart and learns quickly and has all the physical tools. Tebow has all of that. he's poised. he's very athletic. Vince Young just had the physical tools, none of the mental capabilities, and clearly no maturity. Troy Smith was never really considered to be much of a prospect, which is why he went in the later rounds.

i think the two best comparisons with Tebow is Alex Smith and Steve McNair. we'll see whose career he more closely resembles

No the common bonds between the three Young, Troy Smith and Tebow is all three were in college offenses which featured very athletic receivers which didn't require any of them to be highly accurate. Now what I know for a fact is that for two of them it hasn't worked yet. They have not made the transition to passing, not throwing or hurling the ball, but passing the ball in the NFL. Now, you may argue that Tebow may some how be different. Tebow may be different and be able to transition. But the analogy is not only apt. It is spot on.

There are old QBs and Bold QBs in the NFL. But there are no old bold QBs in the NFL. The common theme with all young running QBs in the NFL is they either become better passers or they get obsoleted. They all quit running after a while. Even Lord Farve. And the same will be true wth Tebow.
One thing to hit a guy running free in a zone. Quite another sticking a pass in a three inch square NFL window with two guys hanging all over your receiver on a fifteen yard out or a ten yard hitch. Makes a difference.

Last edited:
I think a 1st round LB like Curry, Spikes, Laurinitis or Mauluga could make an awesome trio of LB's for us.

Adibi - Ryans - Curry !?

the thing about Curry from my point of veiw, he's quick enough stout enough to cover all three spots. And so athletic....you have the option of leaving him on the field when a team goes to a up temp no huddle drill. With the win yesterday we're probably out of Brown , Orakpo range....unless they spend draft picks.

No the common bonds between the three Young, Troy Smith and Tebow is all three were in college offenses which featured very athletic receivers which didn't require any of them to be highly accurate. Now what I know for a fact is that for two of them it hasn't worked yet. They have not made the transition to passing, not throwing or hurling the ball, but passing the ball in the NFL. Now, you may argue that Tebow may some how be different. Tebow may be different and be able to transition. But the analogy is not only apt. It is spot on.
they didn't have to be incredibly accurate, in the same sense that Adrian Peterson didn't have to make a ton of great cuts and fight off defenders in college because he had a great o-line in front of him. but he still did, and he was still great and was still a great prospect for the NFL. in other words, don't penalize a player for the other great players around him. as i said before, most NFL starters played on college teams with very talented receivers, and VERY few college QB's HAVE to throw the ball into a very tight window, so you shouldn't penalize the guys because they have wide-open receivers. if they're missing those wide open guys, then we have a problem

Tebow's issues aren't with accuracy and syncing up with receivers, it's with his mechanics, which are pretty lousy. worse than Vince Young's, that's for sure

one month away from knowing who is declaring to come out early for the 09 NFL draft so there could still be drastic cuts/additions but came across this Mock Draft http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mockdrafts.htm & thought some of my fellow draft friends would start getting excited from a more realistic Mock.

- Hardy’s name is not as prevalent as Orakpo, Johnson and Selvie, but you’ll be hearing a lot about him in the upcoming months if he decides to declare. Hardy is a long, athletic DE who can get to the QB with the best of them. Houston desperately needs a counter pass rusher for Mario Williams

I like Hardy alot, but I think if he's the Texans target (DE) another trade down would be in order :texflag:

What makes you think Tebow isn't Vincet Young squared ? Looks like the same guy in a different covering to me....Remeber Troy "Tater tot" Smith and Ginn Jr. ? Easy throwing TDs when your guys are wide open. But doing what most QBs have to do in the NFL....hitting little windows on time and on target.... making reads and going through the progressions....
the load up and hop isn't going to work for little Timmy in the NFL.

What are you talking about? You are essentially just throwing out some random thoughts and none of it is making sense. Troy Smith didn't get much of a look in the NFL because he was simply too small. With Troy Smith, think Chase Daniel or Todd Reesing. That group is great college QBs who just didn't/don't have the measurables. Vince Young had a lot of leadership qualities and great size. He didn't have accuracy that extended past 15 yards and he didn't have very good arm strength. He throw a lot of wobbling balls. Vince Young was also a run first QB, and that running style was a finesse style. Vince avoided defenders on what essentially became stretch plays. That was a gimmick offense that hid all the decencies. Tebow has great arm strength and stays in the pocket well. His runs are mostly on designed run plays because of natural ability, and if you actually pay attention to his career thus far, you will see that his running has gone down. Tebow is developing as a QB and that has been apparent this year.

Tebow actually is pretty far from Vince Young as a prospect aside from size. Tebow runs up the middle when he does run, but he has developed his patience in the pocket. He steps into the throw well and finishes on his front foot. He has shown the ability to make the NFL throws 35 yards down the field. I don't actually think Harvin is that great of a NFL receiver right now due to his poor route running.

Tebow is a legit prospect.

one month away from knowing who is declaring to come out early for the 09 NFL draft so there could still be drastic cuts/additions but came across this Mock Draft http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mockdrafts.htm & thought some of my fellow draft friends would start getting excited from a more realistic Mock.

I like Hardy alot, but I think if he's the Texans target (DE) another trade down would be in order :texflag:

Hardy has a lot of talent, but I don't know if he's worth the risk in the first round. He has injury and personal issues that raise big questions. I would probably go Raji in that situation. Strange that he isn't listed in the first round btw. :mcnugget:

If they trade down to the bottom of the first, as you suggest, I could see it being worth the risk.

Hardy has a lot of talent, but I don't know if he's worth the risk in the first round. He has injury and personal issues that raise big questions. I would probably go Raji in that situation. Strange that he isn't listed in the first round btw. :mcnugget:

If they trade down to the bottom of the first, as you suggest, I could see it being worth the risk.

interesting the national perception of Texans #1 need is DE not DT. you & others who understand internal dynamics a bit more feel a run plugger in the middle trumps the DE, either that or feel Raji is better value. I honestly don't know, thats what we're all about to find out over the next four months :)

interesting the national perception of Texans #1 need is DE not DT. you & others who understand internal dynamics a bit more feel a run plugger in the middle trumps the DE, either that or feel Raji is better value. I honestly don't know, thats what we're all about to find out over the next four months :)

As you know from my December Mock, I took DT first. I liked Raji in that role because I see him as a complete 4-3 DT. He is big enough to be a space eater, atheltic enough to collapse the pocket, and stout enough against the run. I also think he helps Okoye and Mario because if you need to constantly double team him, who will not get single coverage? If you put one man on Mario, he will get pressure. If you do the same to Okoye, he will get pressure. Even if we had a situational pass rusher opposite Mario like Bulman, he would benefit from a Raji type. In my mind, he can improve those positions, plus help our DBs. In my mind the bigger need is DT not DE.

Tebow actually is pretty far from Vince Young as a prospect aside from size. Tebow runs up the middle when he does run, but he has developed his patience in the pocket. He steps into the throw well and finishes on his front foot. He has shown the ability to make the NFL throws 35 yards down the field. I don't actually think Harvin is that great of a NFL receiver right now due to his poor route running.

I read somewhere that somebody described Tebow as a left handed Jason White who can run. How far off would you think this is?

I would still put DE as the #1 need, but if there isn't value there when you pick, it's better to take another need position instead of reaching/gambling.

My view on the Texans needs: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1067598&postcount=12

I read somewhere that somebody described Tebow as a left handed Jason White who can run. How far off would you think this is?

I think that is simply saying he has a loaded team and isn't an actual NFL QB. Also, it's not fair to any QB with legs to compare them to Jason "I just tore my knee for the 5th year in a row" White. I think Jason White and Tim Tebow are really far off as prospects. Tebow needs work on his mechanics, but I don't think they are any worse than VY.

As you know from my December Mock, I took DT first. I liked Raji in that role because I see him as a complete 4-3 DT. He is big enough to be a space eater, atheltic enough to collapse the pocket, and stout enough against the run. I also think he helps Okoye and Mario because if you need to constantly double team him, who will not get single coverage? If you put one man on Mario, he will get pressure. If you do the same to Okoye, he will get pressure. Even if we had a situational pass rusher opposite Mario like Bulman, he would benefit from a Raji type. In my mind, he can improve those positions, plus help our DBs. In my mind the bigger need is DT not DE.

Deljuan Robinson had a great game today. shows continued progress as PT increases & don't forget about Frank Okam. Texans had zero sacks against the Tacks which may work for now until VY returns then you need to match-up athleitic speed on speed. Hardy is a work in progress but his upside on this roster is tempting given divisional foes.

Last edited:
Someone might have answered this before but i pretty much stay on the tream threads.

Which running backs are in the Zone/ One cut system at their respective colleges?

Someone might have answered this before but i pretty much stay on the tream threads.

Which running backs are in the Zone/ One cut system at their respective colleges?

Might be simpler to say who is not....JMHO:

1. Beaner Wells is not. Power back for a power offense.
2.P.J. Hill IS, Marion Lucky and Bradon Ore are not.
3. Navy Kid is....Jorvorskie Lane is not. Big guys can do it. I disagree with McClain and others on that one.

Derrel Mack Utah Yep. Great size and has prety nice fourth gear for a big back. He can throw his head back and hit another gear.

4. Both Davis' Mike and James
5. Ian Johnson, is....although I'm scared of all the body shots his accumlated over the last three years.
6. Luke Lipincott perfect size. won't run away from anyone but he can hit a seam in a line quickly. Doctor's Son probably go to med school.

Want one on the cheap....Chase Daniels.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2009prospects.html

Again Just MHO.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? You are essentially just throwing out some random thoughts and none of it is making sense. Troy Smith didn't get much of a look in the NFL because he was simply too small. With Troy Smith, think Chase Daniel or Todd Reesing. That group is great college QBs who just didn't/don't have the measurables. Vince Young had a lot of leadership qualities and great size. He didn't have accuracy that extended past 15 yards and he didn't have very good arm strength. He throw a lot of wobbling balls. Vince Young was also a run first QB, and that running style was a finesse style. Vince avoided defenders on what essentially became stretch plays. That was a gimmick offense that hid all the decencies. Tebow has great arm strength and stays in the pocket well. His runs are mostly on designed run plays because of natural ability, and if you actually pay attention to his career thus far, you will see that his running has gone down. Tebow is developing as a QB and that has been apparent this year.

I'm tsalking about draft gurus equating hard ware with NFL mechanics and usually thse guys are justr plain dead wrong....Like you were with gaither.

I'm talking about draft gurus equating hard ware and stats with NFL mechanics. And usually those guys are just plain dead wrong....Like you were with your estimate of Gaither. Just because the guy has numbers doesnt nessisarly mean his bad mechnics/bad attitute will tansition. Might but it's more than just a simple risk. You're rolling the dice. Tewbow is a running back palying Qb.

College teams use a spread with unlimited variations of zbs. West Virginia plays one of those variations, see Steve Slaton.

another program that translates well to zone is Oregon who really spread it out creating cut-back lanes for their running backs & downfiled linemen blocking assignments. they have a kid who could be this years sleeper, poor mans version of Steve Slaton named Jeremiah Johnson. similar size 5090 210 a little thicker lower body, can break tackles keeps leg drive to finish plays, has exceptional cut-back intincts, sees the lanes, willing blocker. have no idea where his draft grade winds up but I'd guess rounds 3-5.

College teams use a spread with unlimited variations of zbs. West Virginia plays one of those variations, see Steve Slaton.

another program that translates well to zone is Oregon who really spread it out creating cut-back lanes for their running backs & downfiled linemen blocking assignments. they have a kid who could be this years sleeper, poor mans version of Steve Slaton named Jeremiah Johnson. similar size 5090 210 a little thicker lower body, can break tackles keeps leg drive to finish plays, has exceptional cut-back intincts, sees the lanes, willing blocker. have no idea where his draft grade winds up but I'd guess rounds 3-5.

I love this kid. Hes really explosive.

It will also help get us some publicity. Get guys from super popular schools to bring in some of the fan base.

I'm talking about draft gurus equating hard ware and stats with NFL mechanics. And usually those guys are just plain dead wrong....Like you were with your estimate of Gaither. Just because the guy has numbers doesnt nessisarly mean his bad mechnics/bad attitute will tansition. Might but it's more than just a simple risk. You're rolling the dice. Tewbow is a running back palying Qb.

I'm going to address your comment about Gaither. If by "numbers" you mean production against some of the elite pass rushers in college at the time, then yes, he had all the numbers. If you mean the elite physical tools for an OT, then yes, he had the numbers as well. He screwed up off the field, and that couldn't be predicted. He had it made and lost it by his own doing, mostly because of stuff between the ears. As a prospect on the field, he was as good of an OT prospect as we've seen in a while.

I'm going to address your comment about Gaither. If by "numbers" you mean production against some of the elite pass rushers in college at the time, then yes, he had all the numbers. If you mean the elite physical tools for an OT, then yes, he had the numbers as well. He screwed up off the field, and that couldn't be predicted. He had it made and lost it by his own doing, mostly because of stuff between the ears. As a prospect on the field, he was as good of an OT prospect as we've seen in a while.

Its hard to take a flyer on a guy when so much of the NFL is between the ears.

Okay, depending on our DL/DT situation and what the staff thinks (happy with the player we have, their development- Deljuan, Okam, etc) or a new DC that uses our current DL a little different... let's assume BJ Raji isn't available or isn't the pick. I'm all for BPA and not taking just the next best player at position X. If it's a LB, S, CB, DT, DE, OG, etc... take him. With that said:

1st- FS/SS Taylor Mays- USC
With the addition of Mays, we've found our best safety. He's a big S that will stop the run and has the speed to cut off passes. If Wilson stays in as FS, Mays is our SS with backups of CC and Demps maybe Harrison, etc. In anycase Jacque Reeves needs help over top as do Dunta and Bennett, lord knows faggins does too.

2nd- SLB Clint Sintim- Virginia
Sintim is a good pass rusher that is suited for the 3-4 or is able to play SLB in the 4-3. This leaves us with starting LB's of WLB- Adibi, ProBowl MLB- Demeco and SLB- Sintim. Opposing offenses will have to account for possible blitzes from him, demeco, or dunta while the DL is coming at them too. This leaves Greenwood (if he's here) as a backup to Adibi, Bentley and Diles (rehabbing) backing up SLB and MLB.

3rd- C/OG Antoine Caldwell- Alabama or Max Unger- Oregon
A highly rated Center/Guard would be an excellent addition to the team. The enterior of our OL sure could use some help.

Its hard to take a flyer on a guy when so much of the NFL is between the ears.

I had been following him since he first stepped onto the field. His problems came the year he was drafted. He was an elite prospect when I was hyping him on this board. I will stand by that as I doubt you have any idea what is being referenced here.

I had been following him since he first stepped onto the field. His problems came the year he was drafted. He was an elite prospect when I was hyping him on this board. I will stand by that as I doubt you have any idea what is being referenced here.

I'm just making a blanket statement about any guy with issues between the ears. It is hard to put the time, money, and draft pick if you aren't sure of his frame of mind or what will he do off and on the field. Who specifically are you talking about?

I'm just making a blanket statement about any guy with issues between the ears. It is hard to put the time, money, and draft pick if you aren't sure of his frame of mind or what will he do off and on the field. Who specifically are you talking about?

Jared Gaither from Maryland. He was an OT who shut everyone down. I had him rated higher than Joe Thomas. He was the perfect prospect until his off the field stuff that caused him to become a supplementary draft pick to the Ravens I believe. He was a top 3 OT prospect I've ever scouted.

He's talking about Gaither

The Ravens selected him in the 5th rd. of the sup. draft

He gave the Ravens a great return on a small investment IMO.

Unfortunately BM will not allow our team to take chances on these type of players.

It's our loss in my opinion

I really liked Gaither alot but knew we wouldn't get him.

To think that we weren't willing to take a chance on a potential franchise LT for the cost of a 2008 5th rd. pick & he could have gotten seasoning during the 2007 season.

It also would have eliminated the need to take D. Brown in the 1st rd.

It is McNairs unwillingness to take chances that has led us to 0 playoff games.

The Smithiak regime has done a great job considering the personel (drafting & FA) constraints that BM has given them. (Character issues are not allowed no matter how minor thy may have been or when they occured).

This would be fine if the rest of the NFL played the personel game the same way but they dont & we miss out on some great players.

Okam was our 5th rd. pick. (What a shame)

Back