Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

“We just have to keep battling and do it better.”

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
In that crucial category, things have gone from bad to worse for Richard Smith’s struggling defense. In the second half Sunday, the Colts went five-for-six while scoring on each of their four meaningful possessions, thus ensuring the Texans would fall to 3-7 in a season that began with playoff aspirations.

“I think, obviously, we’ve got to find some more ways to be effective, to get better,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “I don’t think you’ve ever emptied yourself out. We still got a lot of football left to play.”
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6124276.html
That is such a clueless, uninspiring, really lame explanation/analysis about what the problem is with the Texans defensive from Kubiak, it just underscores why he is inadequate as the Texans HC IMO.
The problem lies with either coaching deficiencies or inferior personnel
or a combo of the 2.
What Kubiak says here seems to imply a lack of motivation/effort on the part of his D, but I'm not sure ? At any rate, after all Bob McNair has been thru here in Houston, he maybe should make some firm suggestions to his coach (directly or thru his GM), that a better response if only from a PR perspective is needed from his coach. The way the teams going, its gonna be tough to sell season tickets in the upcoming offseason anyway and he's continuing to lose his fan base.

What do you expect him to say to the media? "We've got a few average to below average players coupled with the fact my defensive coordinator should've been fired a year ago". That would really help the organization

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Hell, they might already be on the lookout for a new DC for all we know. IMO, everything that is said to the media is only fluff. Those who actually believe them are just naive.

:texflag:

That is such a clueless, uninspiring, really lame explanation/analysis ...

No it isn't, because it isn't an explanation or analysis at all. Kubiak is never going to say anything meaningful to the media or fans. People need to learn to deal with it. Kubes keeps things internal.

What do you expect him to say to the media? "We've got a few average to below average players coupled with the fact my defensive coordinator should've been fired a year ago". That would really help the organization

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Hell, they might already be on the lookout for a new DC for all we know. IMO, everything that is said to the media is only fluff. Those who actually believe them are just naive.

:texflag:

This is not Kubiaks rookie year as the Texans HC, rather he's now into the 2nd half of his third season which is in the midst of being a major regression and disappointment from his second year and all of that talk in TC about thinking of the Texans as a "playoff team". And all of this is happening in a
year when he has less injuries to key personnel than the last couple years and
2 of his 3 division rivals are having down years. In other words we are missing
a real opportunity to move up in division standings and compete for a playoff berth.
I think he needs to be very blunt and say we have got to get some help for our DLine, especially for the purpose of applying pressure to the QB, even if that means substantial personnel changes in the upcoming offseason. I think he needs to admit it's been a major disappointment like all of us realize, and that's what is standing between us and success because the offense is ususally playing fairly well accept for the turnovers.
Smith is an obvious, easy target as a scapegoat for the Ds problems but I don't look to him for blame as much as others do.

Well @ least Dunta knows what has to happen:

Robinson, set to reclaim his starting job at right corner in Cleveland on Sunday, has come the closest to calling anyone out for the disintegrating situation, suggesting Thursday that “certain things that have got to be taken care of will be taken care of” over the coming offseason. Pressed to elaborate, he declined.

And Dunta's going to make it happen? No. He knows that Kubiak is going to make changes, because he's in the locker room. Face it folks, Kubiak is not going to say anything in the media to ease your frustration. He's just going to handle it at season's end. If you want a coach that sells out to the media .... well, there aren't any in the NFL, actually.

Ya mean like to win games you actually have to field a defense?

Granted, the offense has to get better in the Red Zone and cut-out turnovers, but they have moved the ball and they have scored points.

The defense is non-existent. The defense can't stop an infection with all the penicillin in the world.

"We have to keep battling" is Kubiak's version of Capers' "We need to execute"

:(
I remember that "we're still a young team", "we're growing", "baby steps", "we stand behind Carr, he's our future", "an expansion team always have growing pains at first". Enough already with that BS!

I just know the offseason changes will be to fire Smith, and promote from within instead of getting a proven DC. Ef that. If Frank Bush is our DC next year, Im punching kittens. No one on this staff deserves to get promoted. However, they are his boys, so bring on the crap.

"......., Im punching kittens."

*calls PETA*

I'd be okay with Bush, but waiting until the offseason to fire Smith is the wrong move.

I tend to agree with John and Lance on 1560. Make a statement to the team by holding Smith accountable - NOW. Also, treat this like September call-ups in baseball. Get the younger guys playing time now.

Kubiak is not going to say much to the media. He is not going to air out any "dirty laundry" to the public. After reading other teams dirty laudry that gets public all the time, this is kind of refreshing - although frustrating.

I don't think firing coaches mid-season does much for the team. In some ways it does show that changes will be made when needed, but in other ways it just adds confusion to the team itself.

Running a business and hiring management personnel is hard. Sometimes people have a great resume and interview great, but after a while you realize that they are not the right person for the job, but you have to wait to let them go till it is the right time for the company.

Hopefully that will be the Monday morning after our last game this year. Then hopefully we can find someone who can turn our defense into something similar to the Steelers or (shudder) the Titians. You know - smash-mouth, hit them where it hurts, jacked-up, defensive football. Highlight reel stuff. And never, ever help the opposing player up off the ground.

One can always dream, sometimes dreams do come true.

"We have to keep battling" is Kubiak's version of Capers' "We need to execute"

:(

Every coach has one of those. Many of them use variations of these two comments. What's best about them (aside from the fact that they answer the question but still say nothing) is that they're true. They do need to keep "battling" because Cleveland is coming up no matter what they do. Nobody can deny that they need to keep battling. Likewise there's no truer statement than "We need to execute." it doesn't really tell us anything but it's hard to disagree that they team doesn't need to execute.

I hate coach-speak.

Back