Zierlein's Mock Draft - 4/15

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by texasguy346, Apr 16, 2009.

1. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

He's got us trading down with the Tampa Bay. Interesting to note that he's got Moreno and Butler still on the board at the 19th pick.

Z-Report

2. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I don't see the trade back to TB now that they aquired Leftwich.

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

Really? You think Lefwich is their long term solution?

I think there is a real chance that both QB's go high, leaving multiple teams scrambling to get Freeman.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

does Minnesota think Sage Rosenfels is the answer :splits:

5. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I'm not a fan at all of predicting trades in mock drafts; way too many variables involved.

There will undoubtedly be trades prior to pick number 15, so in order for his mock to be accurate he would need to predict those trades or simply leave trades out of the equation all together.

6. Blake

Blake MMQB

I never said he was.

But to be honest I have no idea why they traded for Sage when they have Jackson, Gus and Booty.

7. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I believe Gus is back with St Louis. I think he was a FA after this past season, and Minnesota decided not to resign him.

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Too many people in the media & elsewhere have us taking matthews which leads me to believe that we're most likely taking someone else for whatever reason. Think about it..

2006- Reggie bush/ VY fever. We've rehashed this so much that's it's almost become unhealthy ......who do we take?...Mario.

2007 -before & after the trade up with atlanta we were all over the place; Leon Hall, Laron Landry, Darrell Revis, Patrick Willis. Even though all but 1 of these guys were available...who do we take?...Amobi, the guy thought to be gone by the time we were up.

2008 - Most everyone agreed we'd take a tackle. Most had professed it would most likely be Clady, Williams or Otah. A run on tackles leaves us with only Otah when our original pick at 18 pops up. we trade down, Otah's taken at 19 & we're all :confused:. Then we think "oh wait, they must be targeting mendenhall since he continues to slide?" Uhh, no......who do we wind up taking?......Duane Brown, a tackle noone in the media or on messageboards had even considered b/c he was thought to be at best the 5th best tackle in the draft.

Thinking about this actually makes me kind of sad b/c i've beat my drum for Matthews from the beginning, but the smithiak draft history suggest that it's going to be someone else.

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I would be outright sick if Jacksonville somehow managed to land Aaron Curry. i really don't want to face him twice a year

10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I would be really happy with Moreno, Butler, Matthews, or Jerry at this spot. I would be happy with Hood a little further back. I like all these guys, and like Z said, Hood and Jerry are less of a need because of Okoye.....unless, something bigger is going on with Amobi's knee than soreness.

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Unless there is long term concern for Amobi's knee, which I don't think there is, I'd puke if we got a DT other then trading up for Raji(which i'm not keen on). I'd at least like to give Kollar a year with the line especially after possbily adding Smith(whom i have hopes for).

After it's all and done I wouldn't be completely disapointed with taking Matthews, though I do think signing June allows us to be a in position where we don't NEED to take a LB. I have concerns about Cushing and Matthews. Honestly I'd love for Jenkins or Oher to fall to us at 15. Really warming up to the idea if Oher falls we can slide him inside to guard and if Brown struggles we're in a great position with Butler and Oher. If we trade back again I'd love to get ina position where the value would be in a guy like Mack, Ugner, or Wood.

keyser likes this.
  12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I've been on the Butler bandwagon for a couple weeks now and he'd be the first one I'd be looking for if we were to trade back a couple few spots. I'm beginning to like him more than Mathews.

13. Polo

Polo Guest

I don't like the Matthews pick for us at all....Not @ 15 and not @ 19.

I'd much rather take Moreno, but it would be nice to know how the Texans rate the players and what they think our weakest position is. From where I'm sitting, the answer to both of those questions is RB, but I guess we'll see which way they go when the smoke clears...

14. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

The deal is.. when you have big bruising backs like Andre Brown, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, etc that will be available later.... do you really want to give first round money to a RB like that? Especially in this system? Tempting I guess.... but not so sure.

bah007 likes this.
  15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I'm not a big fan of Moreno but he would fit our system just fine.

16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I don't think there's a big gap between Slaton/Moreno or Slaton/Jennings , Brown . With the 1st pick we need an upgrade .

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

We have to remember that Slaton is our #1 guy. Whoever we'd be drafting would be looking to get ~10 carries a game at most. I don't want to spend a top 15 pick on a situational guy like that

Im very concerned about drafting a USC LB. Matthews seems like boom or bust, and Im worried about taking a risky pick in the top 15.

After all the failures we've had at picking DL (with the exception of MW), I don't want to draft another DT.

Im all for trading back and looking at DB, T, or C

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I agree.

I have Moreno as my #3 back behind Donald Brown. I'm not that high on him but as far as him fitting our system...he fits it just fine.

If I could choose I would want Jennings in the 3rd (won't make it to our pick) or Brown in the 4th (probably won't make it to our pick).

So if you want one of those guys you have to take them a little early. Taking a RB in the second is not ideal this year, but I wouldn't throw a fit if we took Jennings in the 2nd or Brown in the 3rd.

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Leftwich is a back up as long as he has that big exaggerated cartoon wind up. He's like Rosencopter without the copter-hops, foot speed, and a has a slower release.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Yeah. But but but look how big he is and how far he can throw...