Zeirlein's prioritized list of position needs

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Brisco_County, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

From the "How did this get overlooked?" file...

Lance Zeirlein made a blog post last week that prioritized the team's needs for the draft and free agency.

It was a refreshing read for me since I'm in total agreement with everything he says, but ONLY if Antoine Caldwell does transition to center as planned. I'm 50/50 on that probability, since Caldwell's learning curve has reportedly been slow. If it's determined that Caldwell is not our center of the future --or 2010-- I would swap guard with center in this ranking.

Texans team priority rankings by position

And to complement this entry:

Top ten draft prospects of 2010

The free agent market will have very little to offer in 2010 due to CBA rules that go into effect for uncapped years. Consider that with our 2010 schedule and Kubiak's do-or-die mandate, this draft is going to be vital for the current front office in regard to addressing needs.

EDIT: I also found some good draft analysis here: draftcountdown.com

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

great find and post...thanks!

3. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

I agree with almost all of that. Here are the changes I'd make:

DE - 1.5 I love Smith and Williams, and I love Barwin and Bulman backing them up. The only reason I could see us getting a DE is to play Barwin there permanently and let Bulman go when his contract expires which is this year I believe, but I rather like things the way they are.

RB - 4.0 We still need a power back even if Arian Foster plays well in '10. I don't trust Slaton, and I don't think most of the rest of us do either. This deserves a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

OLB - 2 I love our starters, and I like Bentley. Also, remember that Cato June is on the team, and I'd really like to resign him. I think he could potentially beat Diles and start at WLB. I would be disappointing in anything other than a project player from the last couple rounds.

Finally, I feel like CB and FS should be 5's. Along with G/C (depending on Caldwell), these are our greatest need positions, and in a passing league, they are too important to accept mediocrity at.

4. Brisco_County

I'm looking at this guy: Mike Iupati

I'd be thrilled to land Earl Thomas. Not being a Longhorn homer, but the guy is a perfect fit for our team.

I think this is the first mock draft analysis I've ever read that accurately explains the Texans' needs:

The safety position has been a perpetual problem for the Houston Texans since they entered the league. Still, for one reason or another they have steadfastly refused to devote a premium resource and address it once and for all. The team is very high on Bernard Pollard, who they picked up off the street during the season, but they could still use someone to play alongside him. Earl Thomas of Texas is only a sophomore eligibility-wise but he’s technically draft-eligible after redshirting his first year in Austin. The Longhorns usually do a good job of keeping their young players in school but there are indications that Thomas is seriously considering making the leap and if he did the first round would be well within reach. Thomas doesn’t have great size but he is very athletic and rangy with a nose for the ball and a playmaking streak. If the Texans could team Thomas with Pollard they wouldn’t have to worry about the safety position for a long time. After giving up on former first round pick Travis Johnson defensive tackle is also a need for Houston and they could use another starting-caliber cornerback as well. Don’t rule out a running back either because Steve Slaton suffered a classic sophomore slump and the depth is extremely sketchy.

Source.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

I don't even want to think about drafting a DT. Again.

Just move on already. You had two chances. Whiffed on both of them.

It's time to find either a good FS, a pretty sure-fire C, or take BPA at our spot.

FS and C are very legitimate needs that have not been given a 1st round treatment in this franchise's history.

And if we don't like what's there, at our time to pick, and in one of those two positions I listed, then just grab a WR or a RB or a CB or even a LB for all I care...as long as the guy is not a project-type of player who needs years to develop.

Kubiak needs to have a sense of urgency now. No more experiments.

6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Given the expected slim pickings in FA and the "do or die" year for Kubiak coming up I wouldn't be surprised at all if we traded future picks to either get another 1st round pick or trade up to get a player that would put us over the top.

If there is ever a year that this FO will trade future draft picks to invest in the present its gonna be this year.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I would be totally opposed to trading picks for another 1st (see: Babin, Jason) or trading picks for a player (see: Burnt, P.). Kubiak & Smith haven't earned the right to burn draft picks.

I disagree about what's available in free agency. Bad contracts will be dumped and players will be on the market. We'll see if the Texans have what it takes to reel some in.

8. Brisco_County

Keep in mind that those DT picks occurred during the Casserly years, of which only four players remain.

To quote the great evaluator of talent, Bill Belichick, ""Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist."

I would definitely trust a DT pick under Rick Smith, Frank Bush, and Gary Kubiak. Other than the fact that none of them are Charlie Casserly, they earned some bigtime cred with the selections of Brian Cushing, Glover Quin, and by finding Bernard Pollard in free agency.

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Except you omitted Amobi Okoye.

I'd hate to see us take another DT. I'm with GP. What we need is production this year period. We can't afford to take a high round project player.

10. Brisco_County

This is a good point, and I would support this decision if they moved up to get Gerald McCoy.

I think they've earned it. Cushing, Quin, and Pollard. Smith and Kubiak have made this team 1000% better than what they inherited from Casserly. Besides, would you be opposed to landing someone like Gerald McCoy?

You make a good point about players being dumped, but there's also the probability that those contracts are bad because the players are busts.

11. Brisco_County

Details, details.

Yeah, forgot about that one. But they probably learned their lesson on project players... I hope.

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

it takes some moxie but when I look at Rick Smith I can only think of Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I wish Kris Brown was already cut and kicker was rated a 5.0.

If we bring him back next year, regardless of whethe rhe's got competition, Im going to be severely disappointed.

I don't care that he may rebound, honestly. Its all accountability, and the Texans are breeding a group of players and coaches who always believe that next year is the year that really matters.

14. Brisco_County

I would be happy spending a high round (3 to 4) pick on the kicker from Alabama.

If I understood the joke I would probably laugh.

Vinny likes this.
  15. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Here's the list in order, to put it into perspective:

Offensive Guard - 4.5

Defensive Tackle - 4
    Cornerback - 4
    Free Safety - 4

Running Back - 3
    Wide Receiver - 3
    Center - 3
    Outside Linebacker - 3
    Punter - 3
    Kicker - 3

Quarterback - 2.5
    Defensive End - 2.5

Offensive Tackle - 2

Middle Linebacker - 1.5
    Strong Safety - 1.5

Tight End - 1

16. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Why is it assumed that DT is inherently a project player?

17. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be suprised either. I wouldn't be shocked if we traded for a player primed for a run.

Like that LZ is down with an upgrade at WLB. I like Diles as a back-up/special teamer with a slightly more athletic starter at Will.

18. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Defensive Tackle is the most likely miss when drafting 1st rounders on defense. The ratio of hits to misses on DTs is terrible compared to other positions on the D. Many DTs are considered projects bc of it

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

We've had 1 flop DT and one that might be on the verge of flopping. That shouldn't mean the DT position should be over looked or taken off the draft board. It sucks the position's still an issue, but it needs to be fixed or at least upgraded.

bah007 likes this.
  20. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Agreed. I just don't want to risk taking a 1st round DT when all signs point to it being one of the hardest positions to scout for next level.