Zach Diles

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by wagonhed, Jan 17, 2010.

1. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Dude is really good, and he gets almost no recognition around here. I've even heard people talk of replacing him. I saw him make a lot of plays this year and he is always near the ball. ProFootballFocus.com rated him the 10th best 4-3 OLB. Cushing was ranked 3rd.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...e=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

On top of that, he is young and in a position to learn from two of the best. Really, the 3 of them are all young and can all learn from each other, and I wouldn't break up that dynamic for anything.

We need to keep Diles and offer him a contract extension/re-sign him when the time comes, not sure when that is.

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Diles will be in the final year of his contract next season

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I haven't seen any of this talk about trading Diles. But if we are going to trade anyone, it will be some one from one of our stronger positions. LBs & WRs. I would rather not lose any of our young LBs but Adibi & Diles could get us something nice in return.

4. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

With Cushing's injury history I'd never get rid of Diles. Brian battled through his numerous injuries this year, but that eventually catches up to you, and we can't afford to have ??? Ryans ??? as our linebackers.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I understand thatbthe Cowboys shouldn't be looked at very often as an example of how to run a franchise, but one lesson we should take is the ability to take calculated risks.

Julian Jones was their big money big play runningback, they let him go with no compensation and gamblerld that a rookie from Arkansas could fill the shoes Jones couldn't.

Same thing with TO. They had nothing to replace him with and they flat out cut him.

We need to be able to make those tough decisions that will make this team better.

6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

To be fair, Julius Jones really really was not very good by the time they traded him. They had Barber already and wanted to go with him as the main RB.

They let TO walk and then made a, questionable, trade for Roy Williams.

Yes tough decisions come all the time, but those aren't really good examples. Trading Herschel Walker? Yeah that was definitely a good one.

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Actually, they drafted Felix and Tashard Choice in the same draft and really loaded up their RB position with a bunch of guys who can play.

Which I'd like to see around here.

8. D-Frank

D-Frank Veteran

we need Zac, he can play all 3 positions and is above average. I like him a lot....

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Throw in the fact that in 2007 (The last year for Julius Jones in Dallas), Marion Barber had 40 more carries (204 to 164), and averaged 1.2 YPC more than Julius, and I'd say it wasn't much of a gamble in letting him go to Seattle. Still a very good move on the part of the Cowboys, just not much of a risk in letting a moderately effective #2 RB go and replacing him with two high draft picks.

10. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

We did that in last year's draft...with TE's we didn't need :gun:

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

LBers are such system players that they rarely have league wide trade value. Also, especially in the FA era the hardest thing to develop is depth especially cheap depth with some experience. Diles is a solid player and Adibi has talent has been in the system. You build on this not trade from it.

12. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I like Diles. I even wrote about him on Battle Red Blog. They still give me a hard time about it, as they are anti-Diles there.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Still, the point is here, we've got guys saying, "surely he'll be back to his rookie form." when there is nothing to indicate any such thing. If our F.O. goes into the draft with a goofy idea like that, like they did in 2009, we're screwed & the 2010 season will be harder than it has to be.

Point: Jones isn't cutting it. He was a second round pick. He was straight up released from the Cowboys, instead of trying to get some kind of value for him.

Point: Terrell Owens just signed a big contract, held up his end of the bargain, but they felt getting rid of him would be better for their club than the production he brings on the field. He's released, cut, fired. They didn't even seek a trade.

I'm not saying cutting Slaton is the right thing to do. I'm saying if it is, then it needs to be done. If we think Steve Slaton is going to be a big part of this offense, and we are willing to sacrifice 1 game to give him that opportunity, we've got to question how committed we are to winning.

Same thing with Diles. If this team would be better served by trading Diles and Anderson for DeAngelo Williams, we've got to have the fortitude to get it done.

14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

:lol:

thunderkyss likes this.
  15. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Instead of Diles and Anderson, why don't we just trade a 7th rd pick for him!

16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Dyles is a solid LB. That doesnt mean you dont upgrade if you have that option. If we are sitting in the second round and an OLB was the best talent available and an upgrade over Dyles and if there are not any players at a priority need position available that grade out high enough to justify the pick, you have to go with the LB and not look back.

17. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

That's such a far out situation though. The only thing we need less than an LB really is a TE. I'd rather reach on a C/G/DT/CB/S than draft a 2nd rd OLB. Plus, things aren't nearly as certain after the 1st rd as far as draft grades are concerned, the Texans should be scouting ahead for some kind of kid at a need position that might be under the radar as a 3rd rder, but we identify something that makes us feel he is worth a second.

The other thing you have to think about is that we can't afford to have upgrades at every position. You don't want 20 million of salary room tied up in your LBs, just like you dont get 5 Olinemen that cost 5 million each. Personally, I don't think we should spend one cent more than we do at LB (after signing DeMeco).

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Without a salary cap, you can put the money anywhere you want. The problem is going to come when the cap comes back.

19. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

This is the kind of thinking that has gotten many GM's fired. And I can assure you that Smithiak doesnt think like that. Just look at last years draft for varifacation.

20. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Given the fact we face the Colts 2x a year and we've already got DeMeco and Cushing as everydown LBs I don't think we'll be using a high draft choice to replace Diles anytime soon.

Diles is a solid starter and the resources needed to get an upgrade would be better used elsewhere given the amount of snaps our WILL plays.