Zac Diles

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by houstonlibraria, Aug 30, 2009.

1. houstonlibraria

houstonlibraria Rookie

Just wondering why he went from being essentially the best linebacker we had last year to not even starting this year. I thought the guy was a player that needed to be on the field.

Brando and False Start like this.
  2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I think it has to do more with Cushing coming in and Adibi getting better

Zac was serviceable and will be good for the Texans in a backup roll.

It is good signs that new players are coming in and taking starting jobs away from previous starters, that means our depth is getting better

3. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Welcome to the board. I clicked on your link and it was a great read. Thanks!

4. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Because he's not the best.

signed,

DeMeco Ryans

5. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Size....he's small probably 5'11" 230ish...he had his best moments last year as a SAM which is weird because he was playing over tight ends who were way bigger than him...he's good solid depth for sure and given that Adibi/Cushing have injury histories Diles makes for a good first OLB off the bench

6. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I am not sure what player your thinking of but Diles is 6' 2"

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=291

7. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

8. jppaul

jppaul Cut and Dry

9. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Essentially that's it. Last year DeMeco was having a down year and playing hurt. Greenwood was Greenwood and Diles was racking up tackles but just sheer tackle numbers don't tell the tale. If they did then Jay Foreman would have retired in glory as a Texan. He had lots of tackles and most of them took place after the damage was already done.

Zac is much better than that and I don't mean to imply that he isn't but Adibi probably has more upside, DeMeco will come back from his injury and down year, and Cushing is our first rounder and he'll start.

Diles is great depth and if he can push it and get on the field ahead of one of these guys then more power to him.

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

top end first rounders start......that's pretty much it.

11. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    1. Cushing got Diles spot at SAM and will start unless hurt because of the draft status. 1st rounders play. It helps that Cushing adds more size to the SAM, more prototypical I would think.

2. Demeco Ryans*

3. Xavier Adibi is much faster, better in coverage, better on blitzes, little more of a playmaker. I'd say the competition for WILL is pretty heated because I don't think that Adibi is THAT much better than Diles right now, I do think though that he will be better than Diles later this season when potential turns to production. At least Diles won't be so undersized playing more towards the WILL side.

Depth: Bentley, Thompson, Davis. Luckily for Diles he's the go-to guy backing up Cushing but I think he's probably the first guy off the bench for either outside LB spot. Maybe even MLB but Demeco isn't coming out, we know that. Bentley and Diles make a hell of a pair of LB depth/special team heavy hitters. Davis/Thompson struggle to make the team so Diles has no worries there.

I think a lot of people just saw Diles racking up tackles while Ryans was gimped up and Greenwood...well...couldn't sniff out an offensive play with a pack of bloodhounds. Couple that with his 7th round pick (way overachieving being a starter, a contributor no less) and people kind of held his stock up while not really taking into account his injury, his play might be leveling off at good player/great backup, Adibi's ability beginning to shoot upwards, Cushing being nothing less than a big mofoking animal...I mean sooner or later too many obstacles come up for a good but not great type of player. Tough luck but so is busting your knee in TC.

*I thought just saying his name would be enough reason but also he's looking smoother, less...hurt this year hahaa....

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Diles is exactly what a good team has behind their starters...quality players in situational roles. If your starter goes down you can bring in a guy like Diles and you shouldn't miss too much of a beat although you can't do the same things that a guy like Cushing can. It's like the difference between a franchise QB and a "good but not elite" QB. A franchise QB can make all the throws. A 'good but perhaps not elite' QB has a smaller list of plays you can use because he may not be able to deliver the deep out (as an example).

13. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Diles is better when he's not game planned for. If you get a week to prepair for him you can exploit him. If he spells a guy in the middle of the game, he's a little more of a wild card.

14. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

To me Diles is just a better version of Jay Foreman. I mean how many impact plays does the guy make? Making a bunch of tackles is good, but how many of those were for 3 yards or less, or in the backfield. His pass coverage is so-so at best. Having said that, he is a valuable reserve that can play anywhere and does bring some stuff to the table, but a starter on a playoff team? Not for me thank you.

15. houstonlibraria

houstonlibraria Rookie

Adibi just ran himself out of that play to give Peterson a 75 yard td. Diles is much better than Adibi.

16. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I agree. We should definitely base that decision on one play in a preseason game.

I don't understand everybody's problem. Do some of y'all think the Texans have it out for Diles or are y'all just smarter than the coaches?

The best players play. Sure, Cushing is going to get the benefit of the doubt because he was the first round pick this year, but if Diles was clearly the better man then he would be starting.