Z Reports top defensive players

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Lucky, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

here are some excerpts from Lance Zierlein's blog at The Chronic:

I tend to agree regarding Reed, but disagree on Marsh. Reed looks like an effort type guy without a lot of athleticism. He's a self made guy, someone who should contribute at least as a backup and special teamer. But more of a stop gap guy that you would be looking to replace as a starter. Of course, the Texans may need a stop gap starter if Barwin can't go 100%. But, 2nd round seems too high to take Reed.

On Marsh, he's rated as a 4th/5th round pick. How can you overrate a mid round CB? There are 3 types of player available in the mid rounds. One, an experienced player who has limited physical ability. Two, an unskilled, inexperienced player with plus ability. Three, a troublemaker. Given the choice in the mid rounds, I go with door #2. I take the guy with computer numbers and give my coaches a chance to develop him. The onus is on them.

In the earlier rounds, I look for the guys who have it all. Putting aside the pipe dream of Patrick Peterson, the CBs I like the most where the Texans are sitting are:

1st round - Amukamara
    2nd round - Dowling
    3rd Round - Burton
    4th/5th Round - Marsh

2. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I completely agree. Moch comes across as the second coming of Vernon Ghoslten.

3. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I completely agree. Moch comes across as the second coming of Vernon Ghoslten.

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

i pretty much said the exact same things about brooks reed yesterday in someone's mock draft thread where they had us taking him with our 1st pick. He'll be solid, but i don't forsee him being a force as a pass rusher mainly b/c of the things LZ said.

5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Nice to see someone else not drinking Phil Taylor koolaid.

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

zona kinda reached last year for Dan Williams, I know we discussed him around here too. both seem like 1 gap penetrators teams covet & are willing to pay premium to acquire.

7. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Reed seems a lot like Clay Matthews III. Self made players at the 3-4 OLB spot from the Pac 10 with similar body styles. Not overly productive in college. I want him on my team, not at 11 by any means, but if he falls to our second round pick, I take him regardless of who I took in the first round. I didn't think Matthews was going to be any good and I was wrong.