Z-report:Mario Williams - I'm not panicking, I'm just being honest

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2007/08/post_21.html

2. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

yeah, he pretty much sums it all up. i agree 100%.

one thing we know is that if he starts to play well the crowd will really get behind him. last year at the colts game he practically got a standing ovation for his forced fumble. we need more of that or to at least have team success or Mario would really be on the hotseat.

If he doesnt shape up Kubes probably owes it to the rest of the team to demote him and put someone in there that can get to the QB and actually be a factor. Give him a few regular season games and if he looks anything close to what he has looked like in preseason, he needs to get the hook. let him compete for playing time like everyone else. it seems that the moment we take Mario out and put in someone else, the defense seems to get after the QB better. Maybe its my imagination...i dunno.

*scratches head*

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yep, that's about how I feel. I'm completely unhappy with Mario, and mad at the organization for spending a #1 pick on him, but I'm nowhere near ready to call him a "bust" yet.

As far as making him earn his position in the starting lineup, that should've happened from day 1. I don't care where somebody was drafted, we need the best "right now" players on the field when the games start to count, although Babin is probably better right now than he was last year.

4. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Although highly unlikely, I'd like to see them play Mario on the left side and let Babin start on the right side since Anthony Weaver is out. We have nothing to lose anyways and Weaver didn't exactly blow us away with his play last season. If it works out and helps improve our passrush then bite the bullet and have Weaver rotate in at left defensive end and defensive tackle once the real season begins. Babin has stepped his game up so far this preseason so why not reward him?

5. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

In addition, it might be nice to reward TJ for his improved play as well, and let him start in place of Anthony Maddox.

6. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Can't do that, most everybody here has already labeled TJ a bust, and we all know that some posters word is law. And we all know no player can get better over time...I mean c'mon everybody but us stupid people already know that Mario is a bust (I mean c'mon he's played 20 NFL games and had maybe 8 full weeks of practice, who needds more time then that).

7. real

real Guest

I disagree with Lance...

Look at this video: Oh what a short and selective memory we have

also notice in the video, on that last play Mario wasn't the one being doubled...Babin was...

Mario is capable....I've seen him do some good things on the field...

He could get away with his style of play at the other DE position...If he could be on the side TE's side consistently he would be made to look so foolish in space...he could use his mass to take on the TE and the Tackle and he'd be one of the better SDE pass rushers...Sorta like what Anthony Weaver does...We hardly hear this guys name called, but it's a wide perception he's a good football player...Mario is bigger stronger more athletic Anthony Weaver....

Everyone always gets caught up in whether he "is" or "isn't", or whether he sucks or is good....But that's not what it's always about...He's a good ball player that the Texans need to figure out how to use in an effective way.....atleast that's my outlook on it...

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

To me, Mario's future is at tackle. Put him at tackle with Okoye, with Travis and Maddox spelling them from time to time. Try to make them into a Henderson - Stroud type combo.

Mario doesn't have any suddeness or initial burst at all to his game. I disagree with Lance. He is fast, but not all that quick. He only has one real move, a spin move. Usually he just tries to bull rush his man back into the QB. That might get him a couple of sacks a year, whoppde freakin doo.

I do think he plays the run pretty decently and is stout at the point of attack, and a bull rush up the middle can help the ends reach the QB, so that's why I think he should be moved to tackle sooner rather than later.

That probably won't happen because they are trying to save face, but I maintained before the draft and since that Mario is a workout warrior. I wish I was wrong in my initial evaluation and wrong now, but the truth of the matter is that I was and am right.:gun:

rmartin65 likes this.
  9. Second Honeymoon

xtru, the only reason Mario got to that QB was because the TE released out for a pass. It was a poorly designed blocking scheme and had nothing to do with Mario's ability to beat a block. your better than that xtru.

fwiw - i have never called Mario a bust yet, but he is well on his way to earning that title.

10. real

real Guest

Did you only look at the first play ?

Look at the entire video then you will better understand....

After Mario got that cheap sack He wen't off for the rest of the series...He was coming off the line hard, he out leveraged the tackle and he was either hitting the QB or putting himself and the OT in the QB's lap....On the last play in the video Babin was doubled on the other side and Mario did a good job of getting close to the QB causing a bad throw which was almost picked off...

He did the same thing against the Giants when he got fired up and had that great series of plays....

11. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Mario's total lack of technique and football instinct are holding him back more than anything else. He isn't playing junior colleges anymore, so he can't just shove guys over.

12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Carr received 5 years of time to prove what he had.

There is a raging debate if Mario has already proven what he has or should get another couple of years to develop.

I think it is ironic that the coaches and the fan base of the Texans have historically had far less patience than that for the development of players picked in the later rounds. It seems kind of backwards that first round picks need all this development time when late round picks had better perform immediately or else.

This lack of patience with player development has hurt this team just as badly as missed first round picks, IMO. Had they developed players with potential that were picked 3-4 years ago, they might be solid starters by now. We'll never know.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Kubiak is talking about Mario right now on 610am

14. Second Honeymoon

runner ftw

15. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

This is my first post and I picked my screen name because I hated reading all the negative stuff. So my goal is to be optimistic.

I too wish he was setting the field on fire at this point, but don’t see any reason to declare him a bust. Let’s wait and see what happens in the season before trashing the guy. He has all the physical tools and I think given a chance he can develop into a special player.

16. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Señor Stan likes this.
  17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Lopez article...
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5067216.html

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

We carried about 7 D-linemen at any one time last year, didn't we?
    So the $15MM seems to be in line as far as its percentage of the team salary cap, doesn't it?

19. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Vinny likes this.
  20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Did you hear the guy asking the question regarding Mario's motivation and Morlon Greenwood?

:BananaWav