YTF's Big Board 1.0

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by YoungTexanFan, Jan 25, 2009.

1. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

This is my initial big board. I will be updating and expanding it as we move along.

1. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
    2. Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
    3. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    4. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
    5. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    6. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    7. Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    8. Malcom Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
    9. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    10. Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    11. Rey Maualuga, LB, Southern California
    12. Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    13. Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    14. Brian Cushing, LB, Southern California
    15. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
    16. Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
    17. Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
    18. LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
    19. James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
    20. Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
    21. Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
    22. Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
    23. D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
    24. Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    25. Everett Brown, OLB, Florida State
    26. Alex Mack, OC, California
    27. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
    28. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
    29. Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
    30. Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
    31. B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    32. Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
    33. Chase Coffman TE, Missouri
    34. Sean Smith, CB, Utah
    35. Max Unger, OL, Oregon
    36. Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan
    37. Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi
    38. Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
    39. Sen’Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn
    40. Shonn Green, RB, Iowa
    41. Clay Matthews, LB, Southern California
    42. Paul Kruger, DE, Utah
    43. Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon
    44. Jonathan Luigs, OC, Louisville
    45. Maurice Evans, DE, Penn State
    46. Rashad Johnson, FS, Alabama
    47. Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State
    48. Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, Louisiana State
    49. Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
    50. Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Everyone on here knows you do your research YTF so I only have a few nitpicks. Most of it looks exactly like mine.

Sanchez at 5. I don't know about that one. I like him more than Stafford but I wouldn't draft either in the top five.

Jenkins at 8. I have Jenkins graded as the best CB since Newman. My specialty is the secondary so I have a bias toward those guys, but I would take Jenkins top five.

Pettigrew at 20. This isn't far off of where I have him but still a little low I think. The guy is a third tackle on running plays and an extra WR on passing plays. Complete player.

Raji at 31 is low but you have documented your feelings about him so you likely put him there for a reason.

Jerry is way too low at 37, IMO. I think that guy is a stud. He's nearly in my top 20.

Ringer at 47. I give the guy credit for carrying his team on his back, but 4.2 YPC his senior year is not that great for elite college backs. Greene was in a similar situation offensively and averaged 6.0.

Jean-Francois at 48. He's not in my top 50. He has talent, but he also had a lot of hype coming into this season and got a whopping 3 TFLs in 11 games.

3. YoungTexanFan

Thanks for the feedback.

I think Sanchez has all of the physical ability to succeed in the NFL. I think a lot of people just haven't watched him much. He comes from a Pro Style offense and has been an accurate passer. He should have stayed another year, but he is the top QB in the draft. I think he is potentially an elite talent, and I think he is a top 5 prospect.

I like Jenkins a lot too. I don't think he is top 5, but he is one hell of a player.

I like Pettigrew as well, and I also like Coffman (though it pains me since he is from MU). Pettigrew is underrated as an offensive threat.

I have Raji there because I just don't like him as a prospect. Something about him just doesn't sit right with me. I feel he is overhyped.

With Jerry, I'm just not a fan. I don't like any of the DT's in this draft. I don't think Jerry is anything special by any means. I wouldn't spend a first rounder on him.

The bottom half of the board is tough to fill out this early. I like Jean-Francois, but I will probably re-adjust this spot. I think he has a lot of potential, but he didn't have a great year. I've never been a huge fan of LSU DL. I had Dorsey rated really low last year as well.

I think Ringer is a lot like Kevin Smith, and I liked Kevin Smith. You bring up a very good point though compared to Green in the same conference. I will likely change that in my next version.

4. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I like Sanchez. I think he will be a better pro than any of the recent USC QBs (except maybe Palmer).

But he plays on an all star team in a league that emphasises offense. I wouldn't say you have to discount the year he had because of that, but you also have to be aware that his numbers are inflated because of it.

I think he will succeed in the NFL and become a starter. But he will be one of those guys that has to sit a year. I don't like drafting QBs that high unless they can come in NFL ready (Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, David Carr,...) It doesn't always work out, but I think you miss less when you go about it that way.

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I have E.Brown & Raji in the top 15 & Johnson & Jerry ranked in the top 25 based on potential.

YTF thanks for the time & research that you put in. It makes for great discussion on the MB

You are right Rey Rey is a playmaker. I would ask Pete Carroll who he would take before I made the pick.

Great Job

6. YoungTexanFan

While it is important to take note of the offense (Harrell) with all QB's, Sanchez has played under center and has all of the physical tools to play in the NFL. It's not a question of "if he works on this" or "if he develops this". He is under the radar nationally if you can believe it because not many people were expecting him to declare. He tore up both Virginia and tOSU early in his only year starting. I think nearly every QB should sit a year initially, but I think Sanchez has everything you look for in a QB.

7. YoungTexanFan

You should make a draft board, it's great to get other opinions up here to spur discussion.

Thanks for taking notice of the work I do. I love do work on the draft for this message board.

Silver Oak likes this.
  8. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

YTF, I see you have Michael Johnson rated pretty high while others have been dropping him. The knock on him, from what I've heard, is he plays lazy or takes plays off. Is there something in him you see that others don't? Just curious.

9. YoungTexanFan

This is low comparatively. I've never had him "high". I have him like this because he could be a top notch DE. My list is pretty fluid. I drop guys all the time. Johnson likely won't make my final list, but I think he offers a lot of positives to a team like NYG or PHIL who have proven to develop their DL beyond the physical terms. I don't like him personally, but I feel he will be a good enough DE two years into the NFL.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

YTF could you give me a break down on how you see Orakpo fitting into Texans roster 7 what you see as weakness vs strengths? I want either Raji or Ron Brace to slow down the run but some are saying new Dline coach will not go that way. I think Orakpo had great year this season and could drop and be available in a trade down scenario. Your thoughts? Steve

11. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

This is my big board, posted solely for the sake of debate/argument:

1. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
    2. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    3. Malcom Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
    4. Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    5. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    6. Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    7. Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
    8. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    9. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
    10. Rey Maualuga, LB, Southern California
    11. Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    12. B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    13. Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
    14. Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    15. Brian Cushing, LB, Southern California
    16. Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
    17. Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State
    18. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    19. James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
    20. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
    21. Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
    22. Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
    23. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
    24. Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
    25. Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
    26. Max Unger, OL, Oregon
    27. D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
    28. Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan
    29. Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
    30. Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
    31. Alex Mack, OC, California
    32. LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
    33. Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State
    34. Sean Smith, CB, Utah
    35. Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    36. Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi
    37. Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
    38. Chase Coffman TE, Missouri
    39. Shonn Green, RB, Iowa
    40. Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri
    41. Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
    42. Paul Kruger, DE, Utah
    43. Rashad Johnson, FS, Alabama
    44. Eric Wood, OC, Louisville
    45. Clay Matthews, LB, Southern California
    46. Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon
    47. Brandon Lafell, WR, Louisiana State
    48. Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
    49. Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State
    50. Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

12. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

This is the best....read most versatile centers to come down the pike maybe in forty years. There'll be more than three go off the board by the fifty pick.

13. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Smith may be a little bit too low. He is pretty much considered consensus top five as far as I know.

As a WR, I am not that high on Harvin. But as a pure athlete, that guy is a stud. I think he can be a Devin Hester type player but with less return TDs and more impact on the offense.

I don't have LaFell that high but with WRs it's almost always a crapshoot outside the top guys.

14. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

I actually agree to a certain extent. I like Luigs, Caldwell, and even AQ Shipley, but there isn't much of a precedent for that many centers to go off the board that highly and it seems to be a position that NFL scouting departments tend to devalue a bit.

Of the big 4 OTs in this draft, I like Smith the least. That's not to say that he won't go first (I have him going #1 overall in my mock), I just don't think he has the upside of Monroe, Oher, or Smith. That being said, he's not as much of a risk either. The bare minimum for him is a solid RT, but I'm not sure if I see the lateral mobility, agility, and pass blocking skills I'd like to see in a LT.

I agree with you regarding Harvin, and I could see some team like the Raiders falling in love with his big play ability and gambling on him once he impresses at the combine/UF pro day. That being said, I'm not too high on him considering he's undersized, has no true position, is raw, has an injury history, and comes from a school that has had a propensity for producing underachieving WRs in the NFL.

I like LaFell as a prospect because of his size, hands, and ability to get yards after the catch. It's a moot point though since I'm late to the party and just found out that he's returning to LSU for his senior year. I'd probably give his spot in the top 50 to Luigs or maybe Macho Harris or Josh Freeman. I can see some team going crazy for his size and arm strength.

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I have Andre Smith graded as a RT as well. Nothing wrong with that. You usually need both to be successful.

16. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

LaFell is no longer in the draft. He pulled out before the deadline passed.

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Andre Smith could also be a perennial all-pro LG. the right side doesn't get the love unless your QB is a lefty. Pitts & Brown should be much better next year for the Texans, Pitts has developed into one of the best LG's in the NFL. Most people probably don't know that Pitts was a starting LT @ San Diego State, very similar size 6035 320 to Andre Smith 6036 340 :cool:

18. Blake

Blake MMQB

Yeah I remember that. Here is a picture of the Aztecs starting LT. :)

[​IMG]

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

following in the foot steps of former Oiler Johnny Dirden, Pitts offered hope and dreams to countless sackers as Dirden offered to ice cream truck drivers.

20. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

YTF, what's your opinion of lawrence sidbury and what round do you see him going?