You're Gonna Love the New Offseason Practice......or Should I Say, Walk-Thru Rules

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Apr 15, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

All the restrictions on offseason and preseason and regular season practices can't help but create negative implications.

The new offseason practice rules feature less practice, more offseason

2. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Can't help but wonder if the players are going to stand a much better chance of making it through the off-season uninjured and then find themselves dropping like flies once the live rounds start flying.

You have to think that gradually ramping up the severity of the hits your body takes in a controlled environment amongst your team-mate is going to set you up for when some hate-filled opponent decides he wants to take you out of the game in week 1.

Not that I have the time or the will to do it, but I'd love it if someone was to chart injuries from the various stages of pre-season right through the regular season, for the years leading up to this CBA, then the lost off-season, and then the next few years from here, I bet we see a reduction in guys losing a season during the off-season and an increase in guys getting taken out for the year in the opening few weeks of the Regular Season.

Just look at Arian Foster last year, pulled a hammy early in preseason, and although it lasted weeks and weeks before he could even play consistently, I'm not even that sure he fully recovered all season (I know he put up great numbers once he came back but I felt he wasn't as big a threat as he'd been in 2010). Can't help but envision more cases like that coming from this, but hey, its what the players wanted, and I guess once they get on the opening day roster they get their money whatever.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

4. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Less practice, eh? Quality of the game going down in 3......2.......1......

5. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Interesting, the person who wrote that article readily admits to not having particularly thorough evidence, but the logic he uses is reasonable, and injuries were up.

It does only relate to week 1 starters, so I don't think Foster would be included in that (?), for instance.

As well as the injury aspect, it'll be interesting to see if the likes of rookies and backups have their progress slowed overall with fewer practice snaps available to the coaches etc.

Throughout the regular season you'll see guys starting every week who don't practice through the week due to injury, when that happens his backup is getting valuable first team snaps all week in practice etc, something the players have negotiated to limit over time.

Maybe their thinking was partly to safeguard the positions of established vets, especially when you consider that the overall money pot available under the salary cap looks to be shrinking in real terms over the first few years of the CBA, perhaps limiting practice is one way the vets take a little back for themselves?