Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

You're G.M. Make your 2009 Moves!!!

pittbull3

Waterboy
First and foremost, I have to review the state of the team, my roster age, and window for success with my current roster.

Offense - Finished 3rd in the League. O-line is solid, with a new blocking scheme that proved to be effective. Next season should become even better with multiple year starters. My Quarterback is more than capable of playing his part in leading the team, but a well balanced attack, keeps him from having to make plays and play outside of himself. My top WR is now in his7th year, and isn't getting any younger. My window with a top flight WR is now 3-4 years max. RB is solid, but I would live to create depth, and limit the carries with a 190lbs RB. TE - Daniels is one of the most effective in the league. no matter what team he is on, a dream.

Defense - 22nd in total yards, and far worst in other areas. I attribute most of the stats to poor play calling, and limited talent in certain areas. S and coverage OLB have shown to be the biggest area of need. I may address either area in FA, due to making an immediate jump in the division. A good D-Coor will offset some of the DL deficiencies, due to blitz calls and scheme. The team was much more effective when aggressive and the return of Robinson, a top flight corner. Rather than relying on the secondary to cover WR's for 4-5 seconds, the Texans brought more heat. No corner on the planet can do that, let alone Jaques Reeves.....lol

Conference -

Indy - Dungy possibly retiring. Who takes over. There will be some disruption. Marvin Harrison is on the tail end of his career. Injury plagued RB's, and a defense you are able to attack. (Advantage)

Tenn - Vince Young moves back to QB. Enough Said (Advantage)

Jac - Only true competition. Will not have a repeat performance of 2008, due to injuries and bad WR play. Look for the Jag's to make FA moves for a proven WR.

Key Release - Weaver, Salaam, Brown, Green
Key FA Pickup- Carlos Dansby or Bart Scott
Draft Needs - Safety, DE, RB

2009 Outlook 12-4 Division Champ:spit:

Offense - First off, I release JJ (or trade him if its possible, don't think so though, would probably happen in preseason cuts) I really like the kid, but he hasn't developed as a receiver and he's starting to make knucklehead plays on returns. My key FA targets are Michael Pittman, and Edgerrin James. Michael Pittman because his muscles make me weep and even though I know almost NOTHING about his running style, I want him to be our short yardage back. Edge because I think he can be a great mentor to Slaton and we can try to get them both ~15 carries a game.
Draft Targets - Interior Oline (early second day at the latest) Power-type RB (incase Pittman falls through, any round) WR (late second day pick) BPA

-assuming we resign Dunta and get a long term deal for Ryans-
Defense - Most importantly, we get a DC who actually knows what in the hell he's doing. I hope, I pray, I sacrifice my only sister (ok just kidding) that Peppers becomes a FA and plays for us. However, I take a realistic outlook and instead go after Karlos Dansby (you stole him from me Pitt). I'm currently in the process of asking a few Cardinal guys about his injury history and if they think he'll be free this offseason. However they're more caught up in the playoffs. But if we sign Dansby, we can put Diles on the bench till he fully recovers and becomes good depth in case of emergancy. Also take a shot at a CB in FA. No, not Aso from the raiders. Jabari Greir (sp?) from the bills. He's a good quality CB with starting experiance.
Draft Targets - Safety, NT, LDE, BPA

of course ... Pittman is still under contract isn't he :aggressive:. If he is ... then dang.

Last edited:
Pittman is a FA. He is 33 and made 830K in 2008. He missed 8 games due to a neck injury.

He actually sounds like a perfect fit for the Texans, LOL.

LOL Rep.
and ok, scratch Pittman off my list. I'm supposed to have scouts tell me these things before I go to a press conferences :brickwall:

Last edited:
LOL Rep.
and ok, scratch Pittman off my list. I'm supposed to have scouts tell me these things before I go to a press conferences :brickwall:

Actually I didn't mean that to be dismissive of him.

He's older, he's an ex-Bronco, and he will likely come pretty cheap. He's not a guy who's going to expect to go somewhere and be a feature back.

Most importantly though - even at his age, he was an insanely effective short-yardage back in 2008. AND - when they were forced to use him as the starter (two games) he responded with 20 carries, 108 yards and 20 carries, 88 yards.

In all seriousness - he'd be a good addition. Not ideal, because of his age - but I think he'd be perfect as our short-yardage guy as long as we also draft a young guy to develop as well.

Oops, I forgot about Jacoby Jones. Let some other team get excited about his talent, and not keep him focused on he field. Love the guy, but he's one guy that needs to let the swagger go, and take hold of peaceful concentration.

Actually I didn't mean that to be dismissive of him.

He's older, he's an ex-Bronco, and he will likely come pretty cheap. He's not a guy who's going to expect to go somewhere and be a feature back.

Most importantly though - even at his age, he was an insanely effective short-yardage back in 2008. AND - when they were forced to use him as the starter (two games) he responded with 20 carries, 108 yards and 20 carries, 88 yards.

In all seriousness - he'd be a good addition. Not ideal, because of his age - but I think he'd be perfect as our short-yardage guy as long as we also draft a young guy to develop as well.

Ah, thanks for making me feel better. His whole purpose would be short yardage and making the other teams players feel insignificant when they looked upon his muscular arms.

My top WR is now in his7th year, and isn't getting any younger. My window with a top flight WR is now 3-4 years max.

WRs don't die at 30 years old--try more like 35-7. AJ has another 8-10 years in the game barring injury.

S and coverage OLB have shown to be the biggest area of need.

Don't you mean coverage DE? j/k--hopefully that left with Smith.

Jac - Only true competition.

Wow

He's older, he's an ex-Bronco, and he will likely come pretty cheap.

He isn't an ex-Bronco in the sense that he ever played there with Kubiak. He was only brought in last year as an emergency measure.

WRs don't die at 30 years old--try more like 35-7. AJ has another 8-10 years in the game barring injury.

Don't you mean coverage DE? j/k--hopefully that left with Smith.

Wow

I'm not sayinng that AJ will just fall off the map, but there is no way he will be as explosive. He's not your typical, 6'0" 200lbs wideout. This guy is 6'3" 225lbs. Eventually age, weight, and physical abuse take over for bigger wideouts. It hasn't been shown that he is a T.O. workout warrior, so I would go with AJ starting to decline in about 4-5 years. With that being said, the window is smaller for his connection with Schaub being able to light up the scoreboard. And with the DE's. There was HUGE difference with better schemes late in the season. Could the pass rush be better. HECK Yeah! But for the safety position to be as bad as it has been over the last 6 years, it has to be addressed. I actually like what Bulman, Robinson, and Nading brought late in the season. I think these guys should get a good look, with a new D-Coord. Sometimes, the least you pay a guy, the more they are willing to work, to get the big dollars. Thank good Mario didn't let his check get cashed by laziness! It's all about effort. The guys we have now are talented enough, just not willing to work. There is a difference in the league with certain guys....Haynesworth, Manning, AJ, LT, Ray Lewis, but for the rest, they all have played at high levels. It's just a matter of who is willing to work, to increase their level.:whip:

If this were Madden the first thing I do is switch to a hybrid 3-4...

Mario and Amobi as my Ends with TJ and Weaver backing them up...Go after a big fatty for the nose tackle and let him and Frank Okam compete for the job...

Draft Rey from USC and pair him with D-wreck in the middle...Diles and Bentley outside...

Here's where the hybrid part comes in: Depending on the match-up I'd switch out Bentley and Adibi to give myself more speed on the field... He could perform adequately against the pass if a team decided to do so, but would be better against the run than a DB would...

Instead of looking for a DE in the draft or F/A I'd be focusing on Safety, A LB to pair inside with Demeco, a starting caliber RB, and Nose tackles

My defense would be fast agressive and versatile....In fact I think That's what I'll do on Madden when I get time to play :)

He isn't an ex-Bronco in the sense that he ever played there with Kubiak. He was only brought in last year as an emergency measure.

I don't think that matters. The Broncos ran a similar offense, and Pittman excelled in short-yardage situations. I don't think Mike Bell ever played for Kubiak - that didn't stop him from coming in.

I'm not saying that his Bronco connection is why he's a good choice - I just know that he was effective in short yardage - and he will come relatively cheap.

1. Resign the killer D's Dunta, Daniels, Demeco.
2. Big offseason acquisition: Terrell Suggs
3. Hire Greg Williams
4. Draft Priority: S, OC, #2 compliment RB, DT, OLB, QB, WR

It changes daily but that's my mini-plan right now.

1. Hire McDermott as DC
2. Marinelli as DL coach
3. D. Gibbs as DB coach

4. Sign in FA, C. McAlister, M. Peterson, M. Pittmam

5. Drat Priorty DE, DT in 1st & 2nd BPA, S, RB, C-G, OLB

Signing these 3 players in FA should allow us to go in draft.

If we could add these 3 coaches it would give us the best staff in the league IMO.

I dont know enough about SOC coaches to have an informed opionion.

1. Find my DC. McDermott is still in the playoffs and so are some of the other staff I'd be interested in maybe raiding. Gray would be of interest to me as well. Would like Marinelli as DL coach.

2. Take care of current players on Roster that need extensions.

3. FAs - Players I'd make offers to if possible:

Suggs from Baltimore
Ward from NY Giants
Bart Scott from Baltimore
Bertrand Berry from AZ
Rocky Bernard from Seattle
Marcus Tubbs Seattle (could be that cheeseburger gobbling DT)
Eric Barton from NY Jets
Dan Cody could be a steal if he can get healthy again

Not saying we need to go after all these guys but a list of players who could contribute largely.

4. Draft fill needs that aren't answered via FA. OC or G. Safety and DE LB

Back