Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

You're being interviewed for the Detroit Lions...

coincidentally, I've never implied otherwise.

I'm on the same page with you & several others as far as Kubiak & Co. are concerned.

I don't take my rhetoric to the same extent, but the sentiment is the same.

Good to see you come over to the dark side. LOL

coincidentally, I've never implied otherwise.

I'm on the same page with you & several others as far as Kubiak & Co. are concerned.

I don't take my rhetoric to the same extent, but the sentiment is the same.

I think you have a greater tolerance level, that's all.

You're a lot more open and gracious than most, which has its pros and cons.

Bob McNair, IMO, is the greatest inhibitor right now. He's trying to find a way to create a legacy-type NFL franchise, but isn't finding the right mix.

I honestly think he believes the Kubiak-Phillips combination will do it for him. But I happen to think there's too strong of a McNair-Kubiak culture on the team to allow ultimate success to occur--Too much "steady as she goes, slow wins the race, we'll get 'em next time" mentality.

Sure, it makes for a stable environment and allows time for proper "growth" but I think it's been carried to an extreme. When you have a kicker's competition rather than just releasing the guy outright, WTH? It's a freaking KICKER. That, to me, is the ultimate giveaway that these guys are rooted in downhome loyalty-to-a-fault mindset about building a team. It's. A. Damn. Kicker. Hooray, Kris Brown is a great guy. Yeehaw, he was an original Texans member from our inception as a team. He shanked kicks AND an extra point, and essentially crawled off the field and hid under the bench with a towel over his head--Cut him, wish him well, move on. But nooooo...that was too "traumatic" and mean-spirited. See what I mean? It's hilarious, honestly. It really is. The extent that this team's leadership goes to, in order to preserve appearances and avoid what they think is poor P.R.

Maybe I'm just a stickler for efficiency, but this current direction we began 5 years ago is grating on my nerves. If it pays off, and this team blows up big and then holds form for a decade, then I was wrong and I'll admit it for 10 years every day on here. I just don't think it's gonna' happen, but am here to see if it does, and would love to be proven wrong (since it would mean SB titles).

I think you have a greater tolerance level, that's all.

You're a lot more open and gracious than most, which has its pros and cons.

Bob McNair, IMO, is the greatest inhibitor right now. He's trying to find a way to create a legacy-type NFL franchise, but isn't finding the right mix.

I honestly think he believes the Kubiak-Phillips combination will do it for him. But I happen to think there's too strong of a McNair-Kubiak culture on the team to allow ultimate success to occur--Too much "steady as she goes, slow wins the race, we'll get 'em next time" mentality.

Sure, it makes for a stable environment and allows time for proper "growth" but I think it's been carried to an extreme. When you have a kicker's competition rather than just releasing the guy outright, WTH? It's a freaking KICKER. That, to me, is the ultimate giveaway that these guys are rooted in downhome loyalty-to-a-fault mindset about building a team. It's. A. Damn. Kicker. Hooray, Kris Brown is a great guy. Yeehaw, he was an original Texans member from our inception as a team. He shanked kicks AND an extra point, and essentially crawled off the field and hid under the bench with a towel over his head--Cut him, wish him well, move on. But nooooo...that was too "traumatic" and mean-spirited. See what I mean? It's hilarious, honestly. It really is. The extent that this team's leadership goes to, in order to preserve appearances and avoid what they think is poor P.R.

Maybe I'm just a stickler for efficiency, but this current direction we began 5 years ago is grating on my nerves. If it pays off, and this team blows up big and then holds form for a decade, then I was wrong and I'll admit it for 10 years every day on here. I just don't think it's gonna' happen, but am here to see if it does, and would love to be proven wrong (since it would mean SB titles).

Could the fact that Gary's teams only play one half of each game contribute to this feeling? Or is it the fact when Gary has to make decisions under pressure he wilts like a grade schooler?

Let me state first that I was all for firing Kubiak at the end of last season. He needed to make the playoffs or at least win 10 games last year and he had a team good enough to do it. It didn't get done. So I was fine with cutting ties.

Personally, I've preferred trying this approach to the "change your coaches every 2-3 years" approach. I think most owners change their coaches too often at the slightest sign of losing and I think that causes them to not have as much long-term success. I think that's what's great about the Steelers; they gave Cowher a chance to keep coaching when a lot of teams would have fired him. That only bought them one SB win under his tenure but I think it laid the foundation for the SBs under Tomlin.

I think that McNair is trying to recreate that sort of patience. And you can see teams like the Bengals and Bears trying to use that same sort of patient strategy. But the teams are meeting with varying levels of success.

Since Smithiak has been given another year, I'm rooting for them to be successful. Adding Wade could be the piece that they need and this could be the right coaching chemistry. But I'm doing my part to "not accept" the losing that we did last season. I'm not going to any games next season or until we turn this thing around.

The Bears signed Peppers and made it to the NFC championship game

We as Texans fans can only wish BoB would do something like this. There's the difference between the 2 teams.

If it was early 2009, the Lions suck bad, and I'm interviewing for the head coaches position I'd tell them that we'll make the playoffs 3-4 yrs. after the Ford family sells the team to new ownership. They're some of the biggest tightwads in the NFL. I'd then build from the ground up and focus all my early picks on the D-line and O-line, a good RB can be found late in the draft behind a good O-line and I'd only draft a top QB once I had an O-line to protect him. I'd advise the interviewer that the team will continue to suck for a few more years so be prepared.

Let me state first that I was all for firing Kubiak at the end of last season. He needed to make the playoffs or at least win 10 games last year and he had a team good enough to do it. It didn't get done. So I was fine with cutting ties.

Personally, I've preferred trying this approach to the "change your coaches every 2-3 years" approach. I think most owners change their coaches too often at the slightest sign of losing and I think that causes them to not have as much long-term success. I think that's what's great about the Steelers; they gave Cowher a chance to keep coaching when a lot of teams would have fired him. That only bought them one SB win under his tenure but I think it laid the foundation for the SBs under Tomlin.

I think that McNair is trying to recreate that sort of patience. And you can see teams like the Bengals and Bears trying to use that same sort of patient strategy. But the teams are meeting with varying levels of success.

Since Smithiak has been given another year, I'm rooting for them to be successful. Adding Wade could be the piece that they need and this could be the right coaching chemistry. But I'm doing my part to "not accept" the losing that we did last season. I'm not going to any games next season or until we turn this thing around.

If the defense does a typical Wade Phillips turnaround, we could be legit.

I figure it's the last-gasp effort to keep Smithiak around.

The Bears signed Peppers and made it to the NFC championship game

We as Texans fans can only wish BoB would do something like this. There's the difference between the 2 teams.

C'mon steelb...again with the oversimplifying....You do know bears fans have been clamoring to have Lovie fired since at least 2008 right?.

To top all this off your boy Gary Kubiak's record against the bears is 2-0.

They traded for & signed a "big time" qb in 2009 too in Jay Cutler.. how'd that work out for them? It didn't...at least not until they brought in Martz & all of sudden Cutler doesn't look as terrible. The fact of the matter is they finally broke through again last year after 2 garbage years...with a coach that is at best = to gary kubiak when it comes to game time strategy & X's & O's. Yet the bears FO didn't blink when its fans where about ready to jump off a cliff b/c they keep bringing him back.

C'mon steelb...again with the oversimplifying....You do know bears fans have been clamoring to have Lovie fired since at least 2008 right?.

To top all this off your boy Gary Kubiak's record against the bears is 2-0.

They traded for & signed a "big time" qb in 2009 too in Jay Cutler.. how'd that work out for them? It didn't...at least not until they brought in Martz & all of sudden Cutler doesn't look as terrible. The fact of the matter is they finally broke through again last year after 2 garbage years...with a coach that is at best = to gary kubiak when it comes to game time strategy & X's & O's. Yet the bears FO didn't blink when its fans where about ready to jump off a cliff b/c they keep bringing him back.

You're honestly going to sit there and compare the two coaches of two teams like this?

We've had 9 "garbage" years, bro. NINE. Even the glorious 9-7 season is just pathetic.

The Bears have been to the NFC Title game twice, AND had a Super Bowl appearance, and you're going to compare Gary Kubiak to Lovie Smith?

LOL. Wow.

The Lions became relevant the moment Millen was fired.

Suh's a beast! I'd trade our entire defense for him. If he remains somewhat healthy throughout his career, I'm betting he'll end up one of the best DT's to play in the NFL.

Amobi Okoye = Back to reality *sigh*

You're honestly going to sit there and compare the two coaches of two teams like this?

We've had 9 "garbage" years, bro. NINE. Even the glorious 9-7 season is just pathetic.

The Bears have been to the NFC Title game twice, AND had a Super Bowl appearance, and you're going to compare Gary Kubiak to Lovie Smith?

LOL. Wow.

Dude, read everything in the context of the post i responded to....

2nd, I wasn't aware that Kubiak had been here for all 9 years of our existence "bro"?

Dude, read everything in the context of the post i responded to....

2nd, I wasn't aware that Kubiak had been here for all 9 years of our existence "bro"?

You have nothing, but you're still trying to bluff.

You're trying to draw comparisons between the output of two coaches as it relates to the two owners of each team. You chose to bring Lovie Smith and "two garbage years" into the conversation. Not exactly a smart argument.

TWO NFC Title Games, and ONE Super Bowl appearance in 7 years after he inherited a bad Bears team. What has Gary Kubiak done in his 5 years here? I suppose he's going to rattle off TWO AFC Title Games and One Super Bowl appearance over the next two years of his career (getting to the 7-year mark that Lovie Smith had in order to get two title games and one SB appearance)?

I guess I fail to see what "context" you intended to portray in your post. It appeared you are trying to equate the two coaches, as I will demonstrate (below) via using your own words as you originally stated them earlier:

C'mon steelb...again with the oversimplifying....You do know bears fans have been clamoring to have Lovie fired since at least 2008 right? Well, Mr. Tex, maybe the Bears fans have higher expectations than just the NFC Championship Trophy? Could it be that they had a taste of the good life and wanted it back again, and wanted the full culmination--A SB Title? Hey, I give Bears fans props on this issue--They don't settle for less, and they are vocal about their aspirations and desires as sports fans.

To top all this off your boy Gary Kubiak's record against the bears is 2-0. Wow. Yeah, that's a deal clincher right there. Random stat = Epic Win.

They traded for & signed a "big time" qb in 2009 too in Jay Cutler.. how'd that work out for them? It's been average, I'll admit it. It didn't...at least not until they brought in Martz & all of sudden Cutler doesn't look as terrible. Yeah, that's an ownership deciding that he needs to get some things corrected. Bob is attempting to do the same thing, here, with bringing in Wade Phillips. I can only hope it has the same results...but we're talking about Lovie Smith's overall leadership vs. Gary Kubiak's overall leadership and the two are at odds with one another, IMO. The fact of the matter is they finally broke through again last year after 2 garbage years...with a coach that is at best = to gary kubiak when it comes to game time strategy & X's & O's. Lovie Smith had the 2nd ranked offense and 5th ranked defense in the NFL in 2006 when they went 13-3 and went to the Super Bowl vs. the Colts. And how does Gary and Lovie become equal in x's and o's? The Bears also went to the 2011 NFC Title game recently. Gary spends his winters near the fireplace. :( Yet the bears FO didn't blink when its fans where about ready to jump off a cliff b/c they keep bringing him back. How do you know this for sure? I bet there are fans unhappy and ready for a change. I bet they look at Bill Cowher and think "Man, THAT guy would be a good fit for the Bears with his background of having a stellar defense, cold weather, blue-collar culture, etc." I think your last statement is a stretch, as well. I don't think it was too bad to be a Bears fan the past 7 years, it's beating this Texans team in many aspects.

You have nothing, but you're still trying to bluff.

You're trying to draw comparisons between the output of two coaches as it relates to the two owners of each team. You chose to bring Lovie Smith and "two garbage years" into the conversation. Not exactly a smart argument.

TWO NFC Title Games, and ONE Super Bowl appearance in 7 years after he inherited a bad Bears team. What has Gary Kubiak done in his 5 years here? I suppose he's going to rattle off TWO AFC Title Games and One Super Bowl appearance over the next two years of his career (getting to the 7-year mark that Lovie Smith had in order to get two title games and one SB appearance)?

I guess I fail to see what "context" you intended to portray in your post. It appeared you are trying to equate the two coaches, as I will demonstrate (below) via using your own words as you originally stated them earlier:

Dude, just stop.

You failed to see b/c you don't want to see. He said that the bears going after peppers is the difference between the 2 organizations ......as if that was the 1 & only deciding factor in their success last year. I countered that statement. What's so hard to understand about the post?

A team's success isn't always indicative of how good a HC coach is, stop being obtuse for the sake of winning a discussion. I'll use Mike Martz. He's been to a couple of NFC championship games & a SB, does anyone think he was a great/good HC? nope. How about Bill Callahan HC of the raiders a few years back when they went to the SB? Marvin Lewis anyone? How about Jim Caldwell & the colts in 2009? There are tons of head coaches who have been part of successful teams, doesn't mean that they are great HC's. Sometimes theirs too much talent for the HC not to succeed. & if a coach of Kubiak's caliber can own you head to head, Yes you fall in that category.

& the fact that the bears FO stayed the course with Smith despite thier fan base wanting him out was the other end of that. If he's as great a HC as you apparently think he is, well then i guess it was good that the FO said to hell with the fan base & kept him.

& the fact that the bears FO stayed the course with Smith despite thier fan base wanting him out was the other end of that. If he's as great a HC as you apparently think he is, well then i guess it was good that the FO said to hell with the fan base & kept him.

I'm excluding your Julius Peppers statements because you know full well that you didn't even mention the guy in your response to steelb. You're bringing him up as an "after the fact" defense of your excuse you gave about how I didn't take it in the right context to what steelb was saying.

You brought up three things for evaluation:

1. Bears fans and their clamoring for the FO to dump Smith after...
2. ...Two "garbage" years
3. Kubiak "owning" Lovie Smith in a two-game series

On all three points, I fail to see the merits of your arguments.

I've already discussed each of those three points. All I expect now is for you to bring up another topic in order to keep the wheels of this convo turning.

I don't have to win. I declare YOU to be the winner.

I'm excluding your Julius Peppers statements because you know full well that you didn't even mention the guy in your response to steelb. You're bringing him up as an "after the fact" defense of your excuse you gave about how I didn't take it in the right context to what steelb was saying.

You brought up three things for evaluation:

1. Bears fans and their clamoring for the FO to dump Smith after...
2. ...Two "garbage" years
3. Kubiak "owning" Lovie Smith in a two-game series

On all three points, I fail to see the merits of your arguments.

I've already discussed each of those three points. All I expect now is for you to bring up another topic in order to keep the wheels of this convo turning.

I don't have to win. I declare YOU to be the winner.

I didn't say that I brought up peppers, I said he did in his post that i quoted. The post was in direct response to his insinuation that landing a top FA (peppers) last year was the difference. i countered by pointing out to him that they did the exact same thing (acquiring jay cutler, big name FA) the year prior & how did that work out for them...Was lovie a great/good coach then? how about the year before that?

nice try though.

Dude, just stop.

You failed to see b/c you don't want to see. He said that the bears going after peppers is the difference between the 2 organizations ......as if that was the 1 & only deciding factor in their success last year. I countered that statement. What's so hard to understand about the post?

A team's success isn't always indicative of how good a HC coach is, stop being obtuse for the sake of winning a discussion. I'll use Mike Martz. He's been to a couple of NFC championship games & a SB, does anyone think he was a great/good HC? nope. How about Bill Callahan HC of the raiders a few years back when they went to the SB? Marvin Lewis anyone? How about Jim Caldwell & the colts in 2009? There are tons of head coaches who have been part of successful teams, doesn't mean that they are great HC's. Sometimes theirs too much talent for the HC not to succeed. & if a coach of Kubiak's caliber can own you head to head, Yes you fall in that category.

You've got nothing to really fall back on at this point. The Texans have stunk despite your arguments you've made for them in the past. It's over. Your arguments are the same every off season and then they're the same all throughout every season and your track record now is about as good as the Lions record of 0-16.

I remember hearing all these ridiculous comparisons of Kubiak to this coach or to that coach and many times people did try and bash Lovie Smith to make an argument for Kubes, and those who did that can't even be taken seriously as a football observer. Lovie Smith has over achieved with the Bears twice now. He's never had the greatest rosters and him and Kubiak aren't even on the same planet as coaches. Smithiak is a 5 year loser now. All the stuff about him becoming a great coach and leader for this franchise in year 4 and 5 were failures. You've called yourself a homer before even, so you might as well put that in your sig so people will know when the optimistic "We're going to be a top team and Kubiak will become the next Fisher or Landry" spin is coming.

You've got nothing to really fall back on at this point. The Texans have stunk despite your arguments you've made for them in the past. It's over. Your arguments are the same every off season and then they're the same all throughout every season and your track record now is about as good as the Lions record of 0-16.

I remember hearing all these ridiculous comparisons of Kubiak to this coach or to that coach and many times people did try and bash Lovie Smith to make an argument for Kubes, and those who did that can't even be taken seriously as a football observer. Lovie Smith has over achieved with the Bears twice now. He's never had the greatest rosters and him and Kubiak aren't even on the same planet as coaches. Smithiak is a 5 year loser now. All the stuff about him becoming a great coach and leader for this franchise in year 4 and 5 were failures. You've called yourself a homer before even, so you might as well put that in your sig so people will know when the optimistic "We're going to be a top team and Kubiak will become the next Fisher or Landry" spin is coming.

This all pretty much applies to you too buddy regardless of how "right" you feel.

This all pretty much applies to you too buddy regardless of how "right" you feel.

No, I've been proven right since I've been on this site as far as Smithiak and the Texans are concerned. You can go look back on any of my posts since I've been here and I've been critical of Smithiak since I've been here. I've been proven right over and over since then. The people that ripped me when I first joined this site and acted like Kubiak was the next Fisher or Landry have been the ones that were wrong. I've got a track record that's on point as far as Smithiak goes and just about everything I've predicted has been on point with what we did or didn't do with this team. Could I be wrong about the team this year? Sure, but I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that I won't be again. Go pull up old posts and old threads from 3 years ago and see what was said and what wasn't, and you won't be surprised to see a lot of the same posters saying the same ole stuff no matter what the situation is or was at the time. The results from the Texans tell you exactly who was right and who was wrong. Going back on history, it's not about what anyone thinks at this point. That's why it's history. It's fact now, and my criticisms year after year have been dead on. Until SMithiak is gone this franchise is in disarray.

I didn't say that I brought up peppers, I said he did in his post that i quoted. The post was in direct response to his insinuation that landing a top FA (peppers) last year was the difference. i countered by pointing out to him that they did the exact same thing (acquiring jay cutler, big name FA) the year prior & how did that work out for them...Was lovie a great/good coach then? how about the year before that?

nice try though.

But you never addressed PEPPERS, yet you're saying THAT was what your post was referring to. Not a drop of it makes sense, you're going in circles hoping I'll get dizzy and fall down.

You win, remember? At this point, you're just arguing with yourself.

But you never addressed PEPPERS, yet you're saying THAT was what your post was referring to. Not a drop of it makes sense, you're going in circles hoping I'll get dizzy and fall down.

You win, remember? At this point, you're just arguing with yourself.

Yeah, b/c you couldn't/didn't correctly ascertain what was going, it doesn't make sense.....:lol:..:thumbup....:spit:

Back