Your thoughts on the NFL changing its NUMBER system?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texas_Thrill, May 12, 2006.

1. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

This issue has come up quite a bit over th years and now its back again with super marketer Reggie Bush.

Edge wanted #5 back in the day. If you recall they did change it for WR's (they say they were running out of #'s.)

What do you guys think should the NFL go ahead and adopt the college # system?

I for one am against it. I was ok with adding the 2 point conversion but I really dont give a hoot if you've worn the # since pop warner and want to market yourself and your website that has #5 associated with it.

I don't think the kid could have went to a more proper place than N.O. A city full of problems has just added another headache.

2. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I think the Pro system is better and more organized than the college football system and we defainitely shouldn't switch to that. I like it the way it is. If teams and players start running out of numbers than we can add some more options like we did to WRs, but that's the only way they should be able to add a different number to a position.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

they should only do it in special cases. like when giving a runningback #5 will cause a ridiculous amount of jersey sales compared to any number in the 20s or 30s.

4. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Yep, and I bet that's exactly what they're going to do. Money talks. Miss the old 00's.

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

The only reason the numbers were changed for WR's, is because there are alot more WR's/TE's on a roster than Running backs. RB's have 20-30's to use. WR's/TE's only have 10. I think we normally keep 6 WR's, and 3 TE's. THats already 9. We only keep 3 RB's, and 2 FB's.

6. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

The NFL should in no way allow the numbers to be changed. By doing this, it opens up the door for individuality, which has hurt other leagues, like the NBA. As soon as guys start marketing themselves more than the team, the breakdown of the league starts to happen. Could you imagine a center wearing #44, just because he wore it in High School. This is what makes the NFL so great. It's about team first, then the players. There is much he can make wearing a different number, and it will not affect his marketing one bit! If Vince Young wore #19, half of HOuston would still by it, along with most of the Hip-Hop Generation and NFL fans. With Tagliabue leaving, this is a crucial time for the NFL, as we may never see another commissioner like him again! Keep the NFL rolling, and not falling like the NBA!:redtowel:

7. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

they'll never allow o-linemen to wear anything other than the 60s and 70s they have now. it's so the refs can know who's illegally downfield.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

The NFL has to show that no rookie is above everyone else. If they change their rules, it would mean that they have given into Bush's demands. If the league wasn't so strict, the players would have more fun, but the game would become out of control sometimes and they would seem unorganized.

The college numbering system is different because there are so many more players. There could be 20+ WR/TE in the roster.

9. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

they wear in the 50s too

10. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

LeCharles Bentley is also petitioning the league to wear #00 for the browns.

But really, teams are eventually going to retire too many numbers and put themselves in a corner, so why not just let the runningbacks go into the single digits now?

Doesn't bother me too much.

11. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

right on. I think some of the hype is getting to Bush's head. You may be the next best running back ever, but right now, your a rookie coming into a whole different ballgame. Take what they give you and just play football. And, with a bunch of things changing in the NFL, i'd like to see just a few things stay.

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Change the integrity of the game so that a rookie can sell more uniforms based on his college results? I have no problem as long as guys like Bruce Smith, Art Shell, John Matuzak, Earl Campbell, Mean Joe Greene, Mike Ditka and Gene Upshaw have input.

Bentley's request is different in my opinion. That double zero does have some historical context to it in Cleveland at least.

13. baba ganoush

baba ganoush Veteran

doesnt adrian mcphereson alreadt own the number 5 for new orleans?????

14. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Personally, I think it'd be pretty cool to see Mario Williams lined-up wearing #9. Or how 'bout Andre Johnson switching back to #5?

As far as this being considered a lean towards "individuality", why do you think they wear numbers in the first place?

15. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

All hell would break loose if Bush got to wear #5. Everyone would want to switch back to their old numbers and by the end of it, half of America would be forced to buy new jerseys because of the changes. Like they say in elementary school, if you bend the rules for one person, you have to for everyone else.

16. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

That has to be the dumbest comment I've read on this message board...do you really think it matters what number he wears in N.O.??? The "fans" there will buy whatever number he is given because they are "fans" of his...number has no bearing on his marketability. Im seriously hoping that you forgot to insert the "sarcasm" smilie there...:lightbulb:

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

you apparently don't know much about marketing. no doubt about it, his #5 will sell TONS more jerseys. obviously saints fans will buy his jersey if it's 5, 25 or XVI. you know what his nickname is? "#5." he IS number 5, and if he wears it, people will buy the jersey in spades. he made a name for himself with it at USC and it's unique, so it'll sell even more. don't kid yourself.

18. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

If you have to tell other people that "#5" is his nickname, then obviously the USC marketing department didnt get that memo. I didnt know that, and obviously my man before you didnt know that. Bush doesnt have the right to #5. Bush will sell jerseys, and you cant project the impact of a different number, unless you are going to conduct a scientific study on the number of people who now wont buy his jersey because it is not number five.

19. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Regardless of what number is on his back - the sales of Bush shirts will be huge.

20. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yep. and they will be even huger if he's #5.