Your Texans Defense...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HeartofHouston, Sep 5, 2006.

1. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

Okay we all see the depth chart and some people feel that it looks good and some people don't but if you were to name the starters for your Texans Defense what would it look like on Sept 10th ?... (keep in mind current injuries and what nots)

Sanders - Brown - Earl - Robinson
    Orr ------- Ryans ------ Greenwood
    Peek - Johnson - Payne - Williams

2. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

I like 10 out of your 11, but I don't think you sign Weaver and have him sit (unless there is an injury I don't know about). Replace Peek with Weaver and you have my starting D

3. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

exactly what i was thinking. Pop peek in there on passing downs.

4. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

And slide Weaver down for Payne at DT, and get after them.:yahoo:

5. Honeslty, on paper does that defense scare you?
    Our backfield has to be one of the weakest in the division, if not the league. But hey, we can't revamp this team in just one off season. We are going to get torched a few times and Ryans will need time to get adjusted.

6. Tayton

Tayton Veteran

No, that backfield is not going to scare anyone but it is probably the best that we have ever had.

7. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Shouldn't it be Your not You're?

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I was hoping RichardSmith could work some magic and get some coverage from our safeties, but I haven't seen anything resembling such in the Preseason.

But I think our tandem hit just as hard as any pair in the league.

& while I agree, you don't pay a guy a bunch of money to put him on the bench, you have to play your best players.

--------Babin-----TJ-----Payne-------Mario--------
    --DR--------Orr----Ryans-----Wong--------PBUch--
    ----------Earl----------------------CC-----

on Passing downs, Mario slides to DT, Peek comes on the Weekside.

Wong is supposed to be ready isn't he??

9. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

In run situations my front four would be: Williams | Payne | TJ/Weaver | Weaver/Babin

In pass situations: Williams/Babin | Payne/Williams | Weaver | Peek

LBs: Orr | Ryans | Greenwood

DBs: Robinson | Earl | Brown | Buchanon

Sanders is "good enough" but IMO Buchanon has looked better this preseason. I would chance it on Buchanon's upper-echelon athleticism early on. Not sure if the coaches disagree with me tape-wise or if there is something going on in practice that I'm not aware of, but I am a little surprised if Sanders is the starter as of now.

10. feebleminded

feebleminded .

He was PUPed

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Kubiak has mentioned that Sanders earned the starting job. I know he didn't do much last year but who did. I am going to give him the benefit of an offseason to see how much better he has become.

12. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Weaver - TJ - Payne - Mario

Orr - Ryans - Greenwood

Robinson - Earl - CC - Sanders

13. real

real Guest

My Defense and Why:

Starters: Sanders/Earl/Brown/Robinson
    ..............Orr/MeCo/Greenwood
    ..............Weaver/TJ/Payne/Mario

Although some on the board have undermined Weavers play, contrary to popular belief, Weaver is our best Defensive Lineman. He plays his role; He isn't there to make a bunch of plays. He is essentially there to not be moved. That is why they switched Mario to weakside; so they can take advantage of his athleticism. Weaver has played SDE better than any player on our team. TJ and Payne are our best DT's excluding Mario. Mario is better suited for WDE than he is SDE. On the weakside the DE is more free to make plays and will be operating in space, so therefore has to be athletic. The reason Sanders gets the start over Buchannon is because Sanders is way more physical than Buchanon, and if we are going to be as agressive as advertised our Corners have to be physical and able to make solo tackles on Running Backs and Wide recievers. as ther won't be much help from blitzing linebackers...

Passing Situations: Babin/TJ or Weaver/ Mario/ Peek
    *LB's and Safeties remain the same except Buchannon needs to be on the field

Babin and Peek Are pass rushing fools...These guys should be in on every definite passing play. Neither are capable of being full time starters at this point. Weaver and TJ are interchangeable...I don't expect many sacks from either one...And Mario is Mario....I moved him to inside so we can have our best pass rushers on the field. And Buchannon is a cover corner and on passing plays he should be money.

jmerog likes this.
  14. PhillyFan

PhillyFan Veteran

Agreed. It isnt scary, but it is decent.

Dunta is a great young player. If the Texans can manage to keep him long term, they will be in great shape on that side of the field for a long time.

There are a few other spots that are lacking. But as mentioned, it wont happen overnight. Within 3 or 4 more years, things will turn around.

Heck, this might be the first winning season in franchise history. Thats something to be happy about right there.

15. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

I was thinking exactly the same thing. i like peek and mario on the same side too. Peek and babin should definatly be in on passing downs and mario will collapse the pocket from the inside with superior size/athleticism. i prefer weaver to TJ on passing downs at this point but i am willing to be persuaded if TJ steps up and becomes what he was billed to be when drafted.

I predict (you can quote me on this" :) that we will be a top 10 defense this year with the realistic possibility of being a top 5 defense. Call me crazy if you need to but we will all see soon enough.

16. AggieTexanFan

AggieTexanFan Rookie

Are best defensive backfield was when we had Glenn opposite Robinson

17. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

I'm going to go a little outside of the box on this one.

Weaver/TJ/Mario/ Peek

Greenwood/Ryans/Orr

D-rob/Brown/Earl/Sanders

My reasoning behind this is we could shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4 giving Philly different looks. While I don't love Peek in pass protection he still is able to play LB.

18. real

real Guest

What do you mean by this statement...And suppose we did shift to a 3-4...who's your other MLB ? Greenwood ? no thank you....

*edit: are you saying you like peek more as a LB than DE ?

19. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

I'm sorry I thought what I was saying was obvious. You could have Peek stand up and move back into a LB before the snap giving McNabb something else to think about. I think this may actually work better with Babin as I think he was a better Linebacker, but I like Peek better on the line. I don't know that we have a person that could do both equally as well. The point behind it is confusing McNabb so he doesn't always know what we are doing before the snap.

It could be a bad idea *shrug*

20. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

what i want to know is what did TJ do to earn a starting spot? was the just that damn good this preseason and i didnt realize it?

this is the defense i want to start...

peek - payne - weaver - m. williams
    orr - ryans - greenwood
    sanders - brown - earl - robinson