Your Game Summary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rich Schmidt, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

special teams and Tyler Ervin, kicking game solid, coverage good, got a turnover, actually won ST today
    Honey badger and Kareem brought it today
    Watt started to feel it in the second half, good to see he may not be done
    Lamar Miller and the run blocking, Blue as well, some solid running when BOB called runs in the right formations

You can ask if Clowney played, dude needed more prep or is not right. Missed the pre-season and shows
    Vincynt Smith, could not even get lined up, I suspect wrong routes too, watch #10 tell him on many plays what to do, if you want to be a pro, get head in the playbook, contest the ball on the INT too
    Receivers need to catch the contested balls, lots of drops that were in the hands
    DW4, looked rusty, would not pull the trigger, the long WTF interception, game looked fast for him. Hope this gets fixed quick, I was sure we had our future here
    BOB, ROmo would have called a better game and taken the TO on the Gronk non catch. He did scheme some guys open though
    And the biggest can of suck for the day..
    Kevin Johnson, two concussions in three weeks, he will be out a while. His play may have cost him his spot anyway, easily the weakest secondary link

2. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Aside from O'Brien, the biggest issue is a long-term one for me ... we don't use our d-line to their full potential. I wasn't paying complete attention, but can anyone point to Mercilus as an outside rush linebacker in passing situations? We hammered Clowney into the biggest tackle we'll face all season with Watt doing nothing (though getting a fair amount of double-teams) until he realized that it's in his best interest to sit down every now and then. So, solutions? Common sense? If a winded Watt is doing nothing but getting double teamed, and Clowney is accomplishing nothing trying to bull a monster, with Mercilus floating around as an extra ... I wonder what we could do if the names were removed from their jerseys. A quick rush linebacker against a slow monster, an inside tackle using his hands against double teams, a bull against a weak link ... hmmmm.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  3. thetexanator

thetexanator Hall of Fame

best front 7 in the league my arz. no pressure whatsoever.

Earl34 likes this.
  4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Pass rush was not as good as it needs to be. I suspect because Mercilus/Clowney are still not 100% and Watt working off the rust (looked like his old self in second half like you said. We knew coming into this season that the pass rush would have to be as advertised for the secondary to look good. Watt/Clowney/Mercilus need to get it together or this defense will not be elite.

DW4 had his worst game as a Texan. Yes, the pass blocking needs to improve but that didn't stop him last season. He routinely missed open throws and made poor reads trying to force big plays after the RPO miscommunication to start the game. It seemed partially due to rust, partially trying to push to get the big win in New England and starting out so poorly. Needs to settle down and take what the defense gives him. I also think a lot of the issue was the weapons he had at his disposal. He really needs Fuller back. Vyncint Smith and Sammie Coates were pressed into extended snaps and do not yet know their assignments. And DW4 is not yet a finished product himself that can compensate for the inexperienced talent at the skill positions.

Running game looked much better than expected. I am interested to see how much of that had to do with the Pats gameplan focused around stopping DW4 and how much is our improved run blocking on the OL.

I suspect Henderson and K Jo will be sent to IR and Slade/Chachere will be elevated from the practice squad.

DocBar, OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Odd, how do I feel better with UDFA Chachere versus first round pick KJo. I think you are right. Will be interesting to see what they do with tackles with a week to prep. Think Davenport should stay at LT and progress there, moving the kid around will not help. Rankin seemed to help the running game, we seem to have some combos that work. I know NE invited this, but in the past we could not run against a used condom

steelbtexan likes this.
  6. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Now that our D is healthy we dont know what to do?

steelbtexan likes this.
  7. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

And why was Davenport moved to RT?

JB likes this.
  8. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

To summarize this with my only assessment.

Bill O'Brien is not NFL ready. This stage is just to big for him. He still trying to learn how to play checkers while some coaches are playing chest.

9. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Texans are notoriously slow starters - even deep into the season and it was on display today.
    You can't afford to do that in this league. Every week is an opportunity to advance your team so each game is precious.
    Having said that, it must be a daunting task to play the Pats in Foxboro and even harder to pull off a win.
    Texans weren't disgraced, but they certainly need a find a way to knock that rust off in a hurry. Sharper play in the first half could very likely have changed the outcome of this game.
    I have been waiting for teams to figure Watson out and the best in the business did that today basically shutting down our passing game with great coverage in the secondary.
    I give us a much better chance against lesser teams but you cannot take any team lightly.
    Our oline was not that bad - definitely an improvement over last season but unfortunately Henderson may be out for some time and we will need to bring up a replacement for KJohnson - who looked bad today.
    Miller, Blue and Ervin all had good games.

10. TheRealJoker

Rankin was a LT in college and injured all of training camp/preseason. Also it was his right foot that I believe was fractured in rookie minicamp which makes it tougher on the right side.

Davenport at least has experience on that side from last season. And they are both young/need to progress. I could see them putting Lamm at RT and Davenport back to left because Lamm "knows the system".... but i'd much prefer leaving it Rankin LT and Davenport RT. That is the more talented OL tandem.

steelbtexan, vupac1 and Earl34 like this.

11. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

My game summary? Simple and to the point.

12. santo

santo Hall of Fame

Tony Romo could have called better plays than O'Brien.

13. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I have to give the pats credit. I remember one of the first times going against watt. They had brady practicing getting the ball out quickly while the defense was holding a broomstick up. I hate the pats but they do know how to improvise and practice for a game.

steelbtexan and Texansballer74 like this.
  14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Think i quoted the wrong person

15. Max

Max All Pro

Lamm might be getting some playing time this year if Davenport doesn't play better. It was that bad today. And I don't buy the excuse that it's because he was playing the right side when he's accustomed to the left. Getting beat is getting beat.

steelbtexan likes this.
  16. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

That man didn't get any reps on the right side. Terrible coaching

Earl34 likes this.
  17. Earl34

Earl34 Veteran

For me it was all about the offense. Too many slow developing passing plays with Watson taking 5-7 step drops in the first half. When your young QB is struggling, you get him in rhythm with slants hooks, screens to get the ball out of his hands. O'Brien failed Watson.

Several times, Romo mentioned instead of lining up in 3-4 wide sets, to line up in a conventional offense and run the ball. With Fuller out, I would have liked to see more play action out of the two TE sets. Especially after they started running the ball successfully.

I think the lack of snaps between Watson and the WRs during the preseason really showed today and that's on O'Brien.

18. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Game summary? We lost.

19. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

OB cannot handle HC and OC duties. It's time he is forced to hire someone.

20. TheRealJoker

Then why was Jeff Allen a competent NFL OL playing RG and a turnstile playing LG? Two different positions. Playing RT and LT is not the same thing...

Earl34, DocBar and Seegara like this.