Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

YoungTexanFan's FA targets:

a couple guys of guys i want to watch (besides the usual big name guys):

-ken hamlin from the seahawks (FS)
a position just as important as CB

-roc alexander from denver (CB)
someone im sure kubiak and the GM are looking at if clements or samuels fall through

-nick goings from the panthers (RB)
big back who is probably out of the mix in carolina but can still produce

Check our IR on the roster page, we picked him up before he was injured the very 1st game of the season

lol oooops. i remember hearing his name earlier this season and i guess that was why

i guess i should look these things up and pay attention before i start posting

lol oooops. i remember hearing his name earlier this season and i guess that was why

i guess i should look these things up and pay attention before i start posting
No worries, the site that has these posted (Football's Future) didnt update that. I actually heard alot of good things about Alexander, heard he fell out of favor becuase of all the young talent. Hopefully he can make a full recovery and be ready for next season.

I dunno why you are so insistent with drafting a tackle high in the draft. Spencer was doing a good job before Dayne took him out, but regardless the guys have proven themselves at their positions. So they shouldn't be shuffled. Depending on how Spencers injury comes along we might not take a lineman the first day. Aside from that we only need depth on the interior to groom behind McKinney and Flannagan. Our line has been doing fine so far this yr. and theres no reason to think that with the starter (Spencer)coming back next yr. they won't improve.

I am so insistent on drafting a true LT in the first round because I believe we still do not have a LT on our roster. Spencer is a fine player, but not a LT IMO. I like Spencer, but on the right side, either as a RT or RG.

I know we probally won't draft a franchise LT this year nor any other year because we like to pick 353 pound converted DT's and place them on Carr's blindside which has been sacked more anyone in the league's history. To put it simply, I don't trust Spencer as our LT. He is a good player yes, but not good enough to be our LT IMO. I'll eat my crow if need be, but 4 games or w/e he played doesn't prove anything to me.

Are you kidding me. I don't get why everybody's so down on Faggins. The guys a solid DB. However he is not our top CB he should have never been matched up on Lee. Also, our Safeties were burned badly on those passes as well. I would like a CB as well, but since our secondary has improved since he came back our defense has improved, I don't think he's the weak link in the secondary. Simmons on the other hand is easily upgraded as well as Brown's cover skills. Get a ball hawking FS and you make life easier on your CB's.

I have always been down on Faggins. I've never liked him and have stated that before. It's my opinion that he's not capable of playing in the NFL and nothing he has ever done has begun to change that opinion.

I agree that we need a FS badly, but we have SOOO many holes to fill where we need elite talent that we are going to have to pick our posion. The FS's in this draft aren't really anything special period. There are some very talented JR. CB's that could change things and you will see them listed in another thread I started. However, say those JR's don't declare...which posion do you pick?

I do not credit our defense's resurgance to Faggins comeback. I credit it to Smith pulling his head out of his *** as well as off the chopping block. We finally started to play like he told us we would, and look what happened. We got good pressure on the QB and capitalized as well as catching many lucky breaks from the opposing QB's each week like Lefty trying to do the splits and throw.

Did you watch Orr this weekend. 6 tackles and a gravity defying leap to get the sack. The guy is solid, we don't need superstars at every position. We can get by with our LB crew. Upgrades would be nice, but not 1st day expenses.

I did watch Orr this weekend, he played average to above average. Have you watched Orr in any other games this year?

When Morlon Greenwood is obviously better than your other OLB, there is a problem. Orr has not played well at all this year and you can attribute that to many things including him not trasitioning well to the 4-3, him playing too close to the LOS, him coming back to earth, him not having the abilities to play how Smith has assigned him...but you can probally make your own assumptions and guesses just as well as I can.

Then, you don't want us to upgrade our LBs? You really feel comfortable with Greenwood and Orr flanking our defense next year again? If you are foolish enough to believe that then I truely fear you because a foolish man can not be mad afraid. Nobody is suggesting we use our 1st round pick on a LB, there is FA as well as the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Look at guys like Blades, Davis, Conor past the 1st round.

DT is one of our biggest needs. It's been discussed that stats aren't everything. Our DT's never get enough push to consider it consistent. When we run stunts they clog up the lane for the DE's. The position is so bad we play our DE's there on a regular basis to say this isn't our biggest area of concern is IMO wrong. When TJ was in he never inspired hope in me or showed streaks of being above avg. Sands may not be great, but the guy will be solid and even if we get him we still need to draft someone to pair up with him. However getting Sands or any other solid DT takes pressure off us to have to take one in the first rd. DT and FS are our biggest needs everything else is secondary.

Yes, DT is a need but so is almost every other position on our team. Injuries and busts have decimated this line, but I do not rank this as an immediate concern. I think a later round depth pick will be sufice for this year.

TJ never showed anyone anything so you are not making some new discovery that can only be compared to Newton's laws or the like. We still have Weaver and are able to use a rotation of guys to fill in at the other 1 DT spot. It may not be the superstar your looking and hoping to find in the first round or two like we tried with TJ, but it will be sufice. We have more pressing needs that need to be addressed. It is Richard Smith's job to work with his peronel to run a scheme to perfection. If we don't have the perfect guy for a certian stunt, don't run it. Sometimes, even when everything is set up perfectly for us, the other team will win. Their O-lines are paid to stop our D-lines, and frankly, sometimes they will win regardless of who is playing on our line.

Don't believe me? Pick your 4 best D-linemen in the NFL and we'll assume they aren't injured and are about to play the absolute best game of their lives'. I'll go with Freeny, Henderson, Stroud, Peppers and hell, I'll even add Mario as a rotaion for any position.

Now, I want you to tell me honestly that you believe these 5 men, in any combination, will never go a single play without a sack, knockdown, hurry, FF or TFL. I want you to tell me that the 4 or 5 best D-linemen you can pick, can't ever be beaten.

No one is going to argue that Turner is probally the best back available.

SD will put a tag on him, and to assume they won't is foolish. He is one of the best hidden RB's in the league and SD doesn't want to let him go. They have stated that before. He will recieve the highest tender from them which isn't much as far as money goes, but no team will give that much for him. Edge and Alexander couldn't even get a 2nd round pick.

No, we are not Denver, but yes, we use the same system and philosophy. It's not our RB's that are sucking it up right now, it's our linemen. I agree our RB's could be upgraded, but Betts has a very powerfull, quick, initial burst through the first level. That is what this system asks of a RB. Get through the first level quickly by finding the open zone.

It does not matter what SD wants to do. It's what Turner wants to do. He is in the same situation that Chester Taylor was in last yr. He does not want to be a back-up for the next 4-5 yrs behind LT. He will be changing teams this coming yr. and we be an excellent addition to whomever picks him up. Hopefully, it will be the Texans. This offense needs a player of his caliber. Things will be so much better for the team. The O-line is starting to play somewhat better and will get a shot in the arm when Spencer comes back. Winston is a work in progress with lots of potential. Make a couple of wise decisions on a couple of FA's or a couple of more rook's and we should be fine on offense. Same with our defense. I look forward to next yr. Things are only getting better. Especially, if we pick up Turner...Why go after the 2nd best when you can possibly get the best FA at that position. Great running game= better opportunities to go down field in the passing game.

I guess we differ in opinion as far as LT is concerned. Salaam and Winston couldn't beat out Spencer when he was healthy and they have done a good job of protecting Carr this yr. I would have to believe that Spencer a rookie neither of these guys could beat for the starting spot would give us a better talent there. Is he a Pace or Jones type LT. Maybe not, but considering the schemes we run he doesn't have to be. I don't see us taking a LT on the first day because it's not a need. Winston was a first rd. LT talent when he was evaluated before the draft yet he was beat out by Spencer, there's no reason to bring in someone that might or might not get the starting spot.

I won't try to dissuade you of your opinion of Faggins. However as far as picking your poison we have talent that's injured that could help when healthy at CB. Sanders was doing a good job and Alexander never got his chance to show what he had due to injury. We have talent and depth there, maybe not elite, but safety we don't. Earl and Brown are both SS's Simmons is not enough to get us by at FS. We get a FS and we help out our secondary. Moreso than a CB because a ball-hawking FS could act as our 3rd CB and roll to whatever side to help CB's.

What is Greenwoods problem. Shedding blockers, maybe if our D-line kept the linemen off him he would be able to make more plays same with Orr. The interior of our D-line is really bad, I just don't get how you don't see that's the bigger need. I didn't say I wouldn't want an upgrade @ LB, but I think that's not one of our pressing needs.

It does not matter what SD wants to do. It's what Turner wants to do.

It does matter what SD wants to do and it doesn't matter what Turner wants to do. He can run for 500 yards each game from here on out and he will still be a RFA. It's not Turner's choice.

I guess we differ in opinion as far as LT is concerned. Salaam and Winston couldn't beat out Spencer when he was healthy and they have done a good job of protecting Carr this yr. I would have to believe that Spencer a rookie neither of these guys could beat for the starting spot would give us a better talent there. Is he a Pace or Jones type LT. Maybe not, but considering the schemes we run he doesn't have to be. I don't see us taking a LT on the first day because it's not a need. Winston was a first rd. LT talent when he was evaluated before the draft yet he was beat out by Spencer, there's no reason to bring in someone that might or might not get the starting spot.

I won't try to dissuade you of your opinion of Faggins. However as far as picking your poison we have talent that's injured that could help when healthy at CB. Sanders was doing a good job and Alexander never got his chance to show what he had due to injury. We have talent and depth there, maybe not elite, but safety we don't. Earl and Brown are both SS's Simmons is not enough to get us by at FS. We get a FS and we help out our secondary. Moreso than a CB because a ball-hawking FS could act as our 3rd CB and roll to whatever side to help CB's.

What is Greenwoods problem. Shedding blockers, maybe if our D-line kept the linemen off him he would be able to make more plays same with Orr. The interior of our D-line is really bad, I just don't get how you don't see that's the bigger need. I didn't say I wouldn't want an upgrade @ LB, but I think that's not one of our pressing needs.

Winston was being weaned into a role because of his knee injury and physical limitations. He has taken over and won't give it up. There are questions about arm lenghth, but eh. I see him as a better LT than Spencer. I see Spencer as a mauler more suited to RG than anything else that maybe thats just me.

Here is another thing: I don't view Daunta as a #1 CB anymore. I see him as a #2 CB. He is playing #1, but I see him better as a #2. I can't argue with the posion you chose, but I'd chose CB help first because they have the most chance to make that play. I think a true shutdown CB like Revis or Cason would be best for our secondary for where we are slotted to pick. If we end up close to 15, I guess I could live with reaching for Landry a little. Either way, we need help at both places, but I feel we need a true CB more.

Those are stunts and designed run plays that move the O-line to the second level. Our OLB's have not shown any ability to shed blockers or make a decision as to run/pass. They seem like their feet are cemented into the ground until the RB is at the LOS and that is just poor play. Greenwood is average at best as far as NFL LB's go, but Orr is below that standard. I feel having two weak links who should be, as a unit, making the good majority of our tackles, is a more previlant issue than only having one clearly defined starting DT. I feel a rotation of guys at DT will sufice more than a rotation of guys at both OLB's.

Again, our opinions may just varry, but this is how I feel.

Adalius Thomas would be really great for our team. But I'm with the general consensus of building through the draft and avoiding high-profile FAs. They're usually just not worth the money. I would like a really good veteran of D, who would kind of be the Moulds of our offense.

It does matter what SD wants to do and it doesn't matter what Turner wants to do. He can run for 500 yards each game from here on out and he will still be a RFA. It's not Turner's choice.

Simply put...TURNER DOES NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT ANYTHING THE CHARGERS THROW AT HIM!!! He will be playing somewhere else this coming yr. So like i said...It's what Turner wants to do!! He wants the big money, the Starting job, and a chance to be a great RB in this league. I dont see him staying in SD. at least not with LT on the roster. His time will never come if he stays there, at least not as a back-up.

Simply put...TURNER DOES NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT ANYTHING THE CHARGERS THROW AT HIM!!! He will be playing somewhere else this coming yr. So like i said...It's what Turner wants to do!! He wants the big money, the Starting job, and a chance to be a great RB in this league. I dont see him staying in SD. at least not with LT on the roster. His time will never come if he stays there, at least not as a back-up.
Turner has to accept it. He has no choice

Adalius Thomas would be really great for our team. But I'm with the general consensus of building through the draft and avoiding high-profile FAs. They're usually just not worth the money. I would like a really good veteran of D, who would kind of be the Moulds of our offense.

I agree with building through the draft, but at this point in time, with so many holes to fill, I don't think we have much choice than to use both FA and the draft to build this team. Besides, I think Kubiak and his staff did pretty well in the last FA period. Look who we got, Moulds, Weaver, Flanagan, Salaam among others. I know most of them are not long term answers, but they fill the gap and give us some depth until we are able to draft for depth at those positions. That is how teams are able to turn around quickly from losing to winning. Look at N.O. Hopefully, we'll get our team turned around quickly too. Maybe next year! JMHO!

I was just reading the column Len Pasquarelli put up at espn.com and it was about possible free agents next year. It said how the new cap is going to be at an all time high $109 million. I figuerd the texans would jump on some people and some good ads would be...... CB Nate Clements (Buffalo),WLB Lance Briggs (Chicago), SLB Adalius Thomas (Baltimore) I'm not sure which side we need a new lb on but either would be good right? OG Eric Steinbach (Cincinnati) i'm picking him over OG Kris Dielman (San Diego) only because Eric is 290 and I know Gary likes his o-line to be less weight so they can move faster in our zone blocking scheme. FS Deon Grant (Jacksonville) SS Michael Lewis (Philadelphia) New safties never hurt right? Thats about it 2 others would be Daniel Graham at TE and Kevin Curtis. I'm not saying we would get all of these people. But i'm sure anyone would agree just about all of these people would be an upgrade to their current postion on our team.

Does anyone know much about Steinbach? Who here thinks if we sign him and either play him or Pitts at RG we would be much better off than if we just kept the Pitts/Weary OG combo?

Basically we could have a lineup like this:

Spencer/Steinbach/Flanagan/Pitts/Winston

Spencer/Pitts/Flanagan/Steinbach/Winston

I personally think we could use the depth a quality lineman like Steinbach could provide by pushing either Pitts or Weary out of the starting lineup.

I doubt Steinbach actually hits the market, but if he did, he is certainly worth a look. Personally, I would like a solid center that has 5-7 years experience. Not sure if any such might be available though. Flannigan seems to be on his last legs to me.

I doubt Steinbach actually hits the market, but if he did, he is certainly worth a look. Personally, I would like a solid center that has 5-7 years experience. Not sure if any such might be available though. Flannigan seems to be on his last legs to me.

Imo, we should draft a guy that can play both guard and center, then cut loose Mckinney (if we sign Steinbach)

My question is what about the Houston Texans would attract a big-name FA? Sure, we have a nice facility and all, but a lot of players choose to go to the team with the best chance of winning.

Of course, I'm posting this while watching the Jets game, but it still makes me think about why a high-priced FA would choose the Texans over the many different suitors they would have their choice of.

I think the best thing we have going for us is that we don't have a state income tax, other than that, I just don't know unless someone has an absolute burning desire to play for Kubiak.

Back