Young thinks he could still end up in Houston

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by texan279, Apr 8, 2006.

1. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

LINK

HOUSTON (AP) - Vince Young isn't daunted by recent speculation that the Houston Texans will use the No. 1 pick in the draft on Reggie Bush.
    The former Texas quarterback said Friday he still thinks his hometown team is open to drafting him.

"That's why I believe that I came here today," Young said. "You never know what is going on. A lot of people say Reggie is going to be here, but you never know."

Young worked out for Texans officials, toured the facilities and met with coaches and some players Friday. Bush met with the Texans on Thursday.

New coach Gary Kubiak and owner Bob McNair were among more than 100 NFL scouts, coaches and executives who also watched Young work out in Austin last month.

Young said Friday's workout consisted mostly of him throwing to a bevy of different receivers.

"Coach Kub (Kubiak) had some rapid fire, trying to keep me moving around, trying to see whether I'd get tired and things like that," he said. "I'm glad I've been continuing working out and staying in shape and throwing the ball."

Young also has visits to Miami, Minnesota, Cleveland and another visit to Tennessee, the owner of the third pick, in upcoming days.

Agent Major Adams said his client hasn't been worn down by all of his visits and recent travel.

"He knows the nature of the business, and he believes that teams want to know who he is," Adams said.

Young's draft stock skyrocketed after his performance in the Rose Bowl, where he accounted for 467 yards in a 41-38 win over USC and Bush for the national championship. Young announced four days later he was skipping his senior season to turn pro, and many Texans fans began clamoring for Houston to choose Young.

The Texans extended quarterback David Carr's contract for three years in February, making the possibility of Houston drafting Young look less likely.

Young would love to play for the Texans, but said that if they don't choose him it will simply motivate him to succeed wherever he goes.

"I will always love my hometown, and I will always have respect for my team," Young said. "But if it doesn't work out I'll still love my hometown, but when I come home, I'm going to play.

2. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

It's worse than I thought. He's clueless...

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Part of it has be the Texans playing one against he other, VY and RB. It seems RB is the pick as of right now, but by bringing in VY it tells RB's people that if they get crazy in their contract request then maybe we would take VY. What Orlando Pace did to us, we are doing to the top draft pick.

4. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

If the Texans didn't have the first pick in the draft he wouldn't even be included in the battle to be the first pick (not that it's much of a battle even here anymore). It's either we pick him at 1 or he will fall down into the 6-10 range.

5. Untamed Guerillaz

Untamed Guerillaz Rookie

VY all the way reggiecan go back to cali and take that washed up carr with him. yall keep saying that VY is clueless but i think yall are the one's clueless, if you don't got nothing good to say don't say nothing at all you don't even know the man and what ....hollar

6. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

I vote that "Reggiecan" be the official term for someone in favor of drafting Bush.

7. BREAZE

BREAZE Veteran

He's going #3...he's been destined for #3 since he declared.

We will face him twice a year. It will become a rivalry and a lot of "I told you so's"...it will be good for VY...it will be good for Bush...it will be good for both teams...it will be good for football. Heck, we might even get a Monday night game out of it in a couple of years...

8. SteelBlueToro

SteelBlueToro Veteran

well said...

9. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

If the Titans take Leinart, it could be a nice rivalry as well between former teammates.:twocents:

10. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i'd say there's a 1% chance you guys take young.

11. bad

bad Veteran

I'd say you're being generous.

12. SteelBlueToro

SteelBlueToro Veteran

Oh well that's enough proof for me! :sarcasm:

13. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I was actually thinking of that exact same quote from Dumb and Dumber.

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

QBs taken #1 overall want more money then any other position taken #1.

15. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Hmmmm.

There is a lot of wisdom in the second part of your post. Word. :cool:

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

young would want more money than bush.

17. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Did you play against Reggie too? Because if not, then you have no frame of reference of who is better.

18. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

What the Texans need is some of these guys who are overboard with VY to buy the Jets or the Titans . These guys would want Vince so bad we could get a great deal maybe two 1st and two 2nd round picks for the # 1 pick .

19. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

I'm glad you could translate that...seems you speak the lingo..once again, you're superior mind shames me to sit in silence and read <grin>

20. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Denial is the first step...