You heard it here first....

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by bulldawgtexan, Jan 27, 2006.

1. bulldawgtexan

bulldawgtexan Rookie

I have an extremely reliable source that has informed me that the Texans are trading the number one pick. The decision has been made.

2. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

interesting!! I have a very reliable source also, and I haven't heard that at all.

3. chall8

chall8 Rookie

No disrespect, but you're going to have to do better than that...

I do hope you are right though.

4. Holden135

Holden135 Veteran

I doubt any of you have reliable sources. Unless your name is Casserly, Kubiak or McNair you probobly have no idea what is going on. No team ever makes up their mind about a draft choice before the nfl combines and the senior bowl. I think free agency will have a lot to do with who we draft as well. You guys need to calm down about all the draft talk. We have quite a while before any decisions are made.

5. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

Not gonna happen, Vince! Stop posting on these boards!! :rolleyes:

6. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

It is not that I don't believe you or your source, it is just that I would doubt the decision has been cast in stone a good three months prior to the fact. Especially before we have even seen the combine.

I would not be in the least upset if we made a solid trade, but I question how the decision has already been made.

Any further info on the nature of this trade, with whom and what we'll get?

7. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Well, I don't have an extremely reliable source - but I did listen to NFL live on ESPN and they said that trading down was the only answer to the Texan problems. They elaborated by saying that you couldn't win anything with the QB running for his life and that the OL had to learn how to protect a QB before anything else happened. This is a total paraphrase. This was after a very short interview with Kubiak. I tend to agree with them...I think.:cool:

8. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Actually Mark Schlereth was the one who said that trading down was the only option. The other guy (can't remember his name. he was a former Cowboy) said that they should take Reggie Bush. There is a lot of disagreement everywhere on every show and there is a case for each argument.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

No offense to bulldawgtexan, but I'm more interested in what you've heard. Are you free to tell us anything?

10. Daonly

Daonly Veteran

You're Anti-Reggie Bush, I checked all your posts, you making stuff up, your last ditch effort to save your faint Dreams to drafting Young or trading down, Sorry guy ;you dead meat on death row. :stirpot:

11. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

I have heard from a awesome and reliable source that we are going to either Take Bush, or VY, or Lienhart, or trade down... SHhhhhhhhhh.. dont tell anyone...

12. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

13. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

Personally, If you have seen how much George Sr and George Jr has had to dodge stuff and speed run from other things, I think the Bush blood cant ever get tackled... hmm... Maybe we should take him..... Nahhhh... Trade down Baby!

14. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I like trading down but I dont see us getting good enough value in a trade to justify doing it. This year is TOOOO deep at alot of possitions to have people breaking the bank, especially at RB.:twocents:

15. Xman

Xman Veteran

I think it is possible that we made a decision to consider trading down. Thats about it.

Besides, who will we deal with?
    Especially before all the scouting has taken place.

By the way, I am tired of hearing all this "trade with the jets" and "after we trade with the Jets" talk. IF YOU were the Jets, would you trade with us? - - - NO.
    Why not? Because,
    (i) The Jets need a lot of players also
    (ii) Jets are WAY over the cap and will suck another year no matter what - which means giving up a #1 next year would be a big mistake (especially with O'Quin and APeterson sitting there),
    (iii) the 4th pick fills a need with a stud player (the Jets need a LOT, QB, RB and DE (assuming Abraham is let go or traded because they can't afford to keep him).
    (iv) cap problems - they are way over the cap and larger contracts will be harder to deal with.

Why trade up when they can fill a huge need and keep their #1 pick next year.
    So, not happening. Unless we deal the #1 pick cheap - which would be a mistake.

The same thing pretty much goes for NO and Tenn also. They can sit still and fill their needs.

But, Green Bay may deal up - - if Favre plays another year.
    Or, Oakland and SF (or others with lower picks) ,may deal up - - but that is a long drop.

16. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

That is exactly how I feel. The draft is way too deep at RB for some team to break the bank to draft Reggie Bush. There are also going to be FA's like Ahman Green, Edgerrin James, and Shaun Alexander available too. If a team is desperate to draft a RB in the first round, they can get a guy like DeAngelo Williams, LenDale White, or Laurence Maroney. Later in the draft you are going to have guys like Calhoun, Drew, Norwood, Washington, and Humes available too. This reminds me of that draft a few years ago when there was a glut of top receivers available like Fitzgerald, Evans, Williams, Clayton, and Woods only the talent at RB is better top to bottom in this draft than it was at receiver a few years ago.

I don't mind trading down and getting a guy like D'Brick, Williams, or Hawk, but I don't want to give away the pick just to trade down.

17. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

But what if that team wants Lineart or Young (say the Jets, Raiders, Cardinals) and assume they will be gone?

18. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

New Orleans definitely is willing to trade the pick. Benson is by far the cheapest owner in the NFL and would be more than willing to drop down a few spots to save a couple million dollars. He does not care about winning, all he cares about is making a profit.

19. LongBignasty1

LongBignasty1 Veteran

If the Texans decide to trade down(which is pure speculation at this point) i would love to pick up Max-Jean Gilles.....that dude is awesome! you can watch him at the senior bowl drills at NFL.com

20. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

If we implement Denver's zone blocking scheme, which I think we will, you might as well give up all hope for Jean-Gilles since he simply doesn't fit the scheme...Eslinger, Setterstrom, and Mangold are much better fits that will be available in the 3rd, in all likelihood...