you got to be kidding me(defense)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by utahmark, Oct 20, 2008.

1. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

we had the ball for 20 minutes longer than detroit and they still score 21. if it wasnt for our offense controlling the clock for over 40 minutes the detroit lions would of put up 30 on our defense.(the freaking detroit lions who just traded roy williams and had there starting qb out.)

if we are gonna give up the big play anyway we might as well start being aggresive and create a few turnovers. this defense is not good. something needs to be done.

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I think we all know what needs to be done as a first step, and it's not going to happen until after the season.

3. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Unfortunately, that's probably true.

To the defenses credit, most of the Lions offensive production came off a worthless 2nd half hail mary to CJ, and a huge 96 yard reception. Excluding those, the defense played decent. They still have many problems, though.

P.S. - WHY are we still seeing Petey in single coverage against fast WRs??

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Oww, quit it.

Oww, quit it.

Oww, quit it.

Oww, quit it.

Oww, quit it.

Oww, quit it.

Oww, quit it.

Oww, quit it.

etc.

5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

It may even be worst than that. Judging by what Kubiak said, we were in a quarter-quarter half coverage. So Petey is supposed to cover deep with two other guys. How he let the WR get passed him I have no idea. I would think the corner would line up in a fashion to make sure the WR doesn't get passed him in that coverage, yet Petey is lining up 2 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Our positioning and movement before the snap on defense seems to be particularly bad.

6. Polo

Polo Guest

I believe Harrison busted on that play...

7. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

blah blah blah we won! The b**ching will never stop until we are undeafeated and win the super bowl, guess i just have to get use to it. But come on we won 2 in a row and A LOT of people are still complaining as much as when we were 0-4.

Texan JBZ likes this.
  8. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

That's because this defense has real problems.

The problem stems from a DC that does not know what he is doing. We will never have the players we need until this DC is gone. We will not be able to play at the next level until this DC is gone. I will continue to ***** until the day this defense is fixed, and that will be after Richard "Cupcake" Smith is on the street looking for a job.

RTP2110 likes this.

9. feebleminded

feebleminded .

This is one thing about our D that really stands out to me. We seem to be easily confused in assigments and alignments particularly when there is alot of crowd noise.

This team has a real problem with situational awareness, and it is not confined to the defensive side of the ball. It is there in all three phases as well as in overall game management.

10. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

That won't stop bitching! Theres always something to pick holes in!

11. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

off course we won. we were playing detroit at home and we have one of the best offenses in the league. but we will never be undeafeated and win the super bowl with our defense playing like it is. now we can start fixing it now or we can wait till we lose then worry about it. hopefully our coaches will be proactive and do something now rather than being reactive and wait.

12. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

eh, Harrison was playing in the box, and Demps had the deep middle not the hash to sideline coverage. That quarter of the field was solely petey's responsibility. He should have been lined up about 7 yards off not playing on the line. Dumb move by petey. Dumber move by Dick to get him into that situation

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

this is a forum for football fans breaking down their thoughts on the team, good, bad and ugly. Heck, sometimes you actually learn a bit of football from all these mean guys discussing the problems on the field. This isn't texanspeprally.com where we are all required to just say yay teem, ur da bestest! You do that for your kids in pop warner football.

FirstTexansFan likes this.
  14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

FWIW

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4770

15. Vinny

The coaches were jumping Harrison right after that play and he was pulled from the next series....I think he had some issues on that play from what I saw. Probably multiple breakdowns though.

16. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

He's been having a lot of issues so far. I've seen a few good things from him, but this is the second big play where he blew his assignment.

17. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

I understand this but I am saying I am suprised that I see almost just as much complaining as when we lost 4 in a row.

18. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

good to know. Maybe they said "if you see CJ line up on pokey I mean Petey then drop back into cover 2" just a thought. I didnt see Harrison get jumped. I was behind live TV and was fast forwarding between plays to catch up.

19. Vinny

I was on the 50 yard line with binoculars.

20. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

My bad in a different post, I thought it was Demps that blew the assignment. So it was Harrison's fault.