Yates or Leinart ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by EllisUnit, Nov 14, 2011.

?

Which QB would you prefer to start

1. Matt Leinart

82.3%
  2. T.J Yates

17.7%
  1. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

I loved what i saw from T.J Yates in the pre season, he was very accurate has a good arm, and personally i think he is a better fit for or offensive system. So who would you rather have throwing the ball ?

HJam72 likes this.
  2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Someone with some experience.

3. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

If we were a bad team and not really contending, I'd give yates a try. However, since we are contending right now and yates doesnt have too much experience, Leinart is the better choice for right now.

4. EllisUnit

I dont know. Yates is undamaged by bad coaching, failure at the NFL level, and this is the only NFL system he has ever learned. Just something to think about.

5. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

Yates. I just don't see it in Lienart. He's like a clone of orlovsky in my eyes. Bad arm strength and bad decision making. Yates has the arm strength and an upside. I saw him make a lot of throws and see some potential

6. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Honestly i'd choose Yates simply because of him not changing up the dynamics of our o-line at all being a right hander.

7. EllisUnit

agree our bootlegs are designed for a right hander. in most cases.

8. redwhiteANDblue

And who knows with Yates we might get a Cinderella Tom Brady type story? Maybe a little bit of Kurt Warner? Who knows there's a chance with Yates but we know with Lienart we're getting below average qb play

9. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

Leinart is going to be a lot more prepared this time around. He has been groomed for a while now, and he must know his career is on the line. That doesn't guarantee that he is going to do anything, but I would give him a chance before we just threw Yates in there.

VTexan likes this.
  10. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

i don't think we should be concerned but leinart being a lefty. the coaching stuff would have contingency plans for this otherwise they wouldn't have signed him and kept him at backup if it required changing the whole system.

the points about him having already struggled in the nfl is valid but i think he will surprise and perform well.

Think cassell last year just handing off then occasionally booming long to bowe.
    for us it will be hand off to shock and awe and boom long to the almighty AJ!
    ....yes i did compare aj to god deal with it lol

11. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

no way to sugar coat it -- either way we are in deep doo doo..

TJ

12. redwhiteANDblue

Yeah that's true but I'm just being safe with my emotions. People are saying he's going to be a lot better this time with the coaching and the supporting cast but from what I saw in preseason I don't want to get my hopes up

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

All yall voting for Yates will recieve the wrath of Hot Tub QB Man as he decends from the room of Reliant for the Atlanta game in a golden hot tub flanked by naked cheerleaders. With a swift snap of his towel, he will sweep aside the Falcon defenders. With his golden beer funnel he will then destroy their entire team. Leaving the stadium in his flying golden hot tub he will shower the fans with chocolate Lambardi trophies and used cheerleader undies.

My friends, our hero has arrived. :cow:

drunkcookie and santo like this.
  14. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

People voted Yates? Seriously? He's a rookie QB drafted in the 5th round. When has that equaled success?

dc_txtech likes this.
  15. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I don't think we need to get our hopes up. As long as he isn't a complete A$$ out there then we will still be able to win most of the games on our remaining schedule. Seriously, look at some of the passing yardage Schaub has put up this year. We aren't asking our QBs to be Drew Brees out there.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I dont think Yates is ready yet ..... I gotta go with Leinart at least for now.

He doesnt have to do much , just keep the defense honest. I think he's a bit more mobiler than Schaub so the roll outs and boots will still be there.

The big difference between them is decision making .... While Schaub has run this offense for several years he hasnt made a whole lot of silly mistakes this season - Even if he has missed a few reads.
    Leinart has two seasons in the system under his belt , if he can go thru his progressions and protect the ball ..... this team can still make some noise.

17. EllisUnit

what i saw in pre season was a innacurate passer who couldnt hit a WR standing still. On the other hand i saw a young QB in yates who was very accurate and looked comfortable in the pocket, and he hit quite a few big homeruns in the pre season.

We have NEVER had a rookie QB to groom, the last time was Carr and we had a horrid O-Line. Give a young guy a chance with good protection and good coaching and you may be surprised by the results.

18. EllisUnit

when has an undrafted RB equaled success ? When has a 7th round draft pick named Tom Brady thrown into the fire and won a super bowl, and never looked back equaled success. Seriously

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

YUP!!

Leinart has experience. He has two weeks for film study AND a solid week of taking the majority of reps!!! Lienart will be fine!

20. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

You obvioulsy didn't see leinart play when he was in AZ.