Yahoo Sports - Texans Free-Agent Targets

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreportsfreeagenttarg&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Texans

Free-agent targets: The priorities are a quarterback and a left tackle. The Texans still hope to trade QB David Carr, and if Jake Plummer is released by the Broncos, he'll be Houston's top target. The team also needs an established left tackle who'll fit in the zone-blocking scheme. The Texans also would like someone versatile; the Chiefs' Jordan Black and the Bills' Mike Gandy are options. The Texans need to find a playmaking receiver who can complement Andre Johnson. They thought they found one in Eric Moulds, but he never fit into the offense and appeared to run out of gas. They're more likely to get a receiver in the draft, though. The team could bolster the interior offensive line with a guard such as the Bengals' Eric Steinbach, and a solid defensive end would improve the pass rush and allow Anthony Weaver to move inside. The Texans could target the Bucs' Dewayne White. Another possibility is a corner to play opposite Dunta Robinson; the Colts' Nick Harper isan option.

2. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Eric Moulds ran out of gas??? I dunno. Obviously, I don't focus on him every play, but, how is it that he is supposed to be catching the ball if it is never thrown his way.

Allow Anthony Weaver to move inside???? ACK!

The Texans need just about everything. How bout that for a shopping list?

3. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Exactly. By that definition everyone not named Andre Johnson or more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage ran out of gas and didn't fit into the offense.

4. Roughnecks

Roughnecks Veteran

He ran out of gas because he would run down field only to turn around to see Carr on his back or the other team running the ball back for a TD.

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

people just look at stats and assume Moulds was done....most of these National hacks only view stat lines and start assuming this and that....most of these guys didn't see any Texans games I'd bet. I think Moulds lost a step, but he would have been a valuable possession receiver last year if we had a QB that could find his mid reads.
    a wr2 has NEVER fit into our offense....hopefully next year will be different.

TigerV1 likes this.
  6. TigerV1

TigerV1 All Pro

Amen to that. Makes me sad/sick that we let Gaffney get away considering what he was able to do with the Pats.

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Not as long as you know who is still taking snaps behind center. :wheel:

8. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

To be fair, would you want to watch Texans' games if you werent a fan?

9. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

I know I would...maybe thats cuz i am indeed a football fan.....especially this yr with a new coach, Moulds and had a#1 pick.

10. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I dunno about next season being different.

With the talent that AJ has, it is hard for an OC not to want to try to figure out ways to get it in his hands more often. Almost too much.

My personal belief is that the denver style offense looks its best when the ball is spread around to different offensive players. When the run game is motoring, the TEs are catching passes, and different WRs are getting the ball.

I believe the fat stats that AJ was getting at the beginning of the year are counterproductive for the entire offense. If a WR is getting a lot of catches and yards in this offense, it should be because the offense is on the field so much, and not because of one player getting the ball forced to him too much. (My head still hurts from the throwing to AJ in triple coverage play during the Titans game).

Moulds at the beginning to the middle of the season caught 80% of the passes thrown his way--no other receiver with a minimum of 40 catches was over the 72% mark. Check out this link from Week 10. Yeah, maybe his giddy up has slowed down some, but you can't catch the ball if you aren't getting it thrown your way, and he wasn't at the end of the season.

11. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Shh! Moulds will be a hot receiver this year. Remember I predicted it.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

You can't blame the Texans for releasing Gaffney. He had 3 good games for the Patriots. He isn't a star WR, he isn't even a good WR. Hank Poteat, Tully Banta-Cain, Deion Branch, they are all examples of players who have had success with the Patriots. Best organization in football. Gaffney was signed and released by the Eagles, then signed by the Pats late in the season.

13. TigerV1

TigerV1 All Pro

I just don't think Gaff was used to his full potential here.

14. scourge

scourge Digression King

maybe... but not with the Texans

15. texans83

texans83 All Pro

haha nice!!!!!