X's and O's with Vance Joseph

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jaayteetx, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

2. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

Now we know why we went Watt and Reed in round one and two. High motor athletes in the front seven will give us the edge in this system, in my opinion. If you have Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, J.J. Watt, Connor Barwin, and Antonio Smith in the same defensive front. You should be able to win that battle in the trenches more times than not. It is just going to hinge on Wade Phillips getting these guys ready.

3. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Good watch. I do have to say that if you have good play up front in any system, it makes the back end much easier to play.
    In case it didn't get posted, here's another link on Joseph talking Texans DB's.

5. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

Sounds good in theory...I'm still confused on the element of surprise of where the 4th rusher will come from specifically when Mario is on the field...either way I'm hoping for better coaching AND performance from the secondary

6. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

good video. all theory of course... if we get nnamdi we can drop that other safety into the box too & win every early down!

still our front 7 is hopefully gonna be pretty tough to run in theory with watt at de, and mario, demeco & cush at lb. all have great size & are good run defenders.. IF the nt & others do their part too

7. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

The beauty of the 3-4 is that 4th rusher can come from any of the lbs or ....
    The key is to win that run battle...Unless you got a pass happy team...

8. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Good point since we've been told he'll be rushing the qb 90-95 percent of the time.

9. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

That's the part that confuses me as well. If you know Mario is coming 90% of the time, you are in essence playing a 4-3.

I guess the point I take away is we know Mario is rushing, so that takes the element of surprise away. But, if may line up in different places on the line to throw off the Olineman. Then with him up there, we need to be stout as a 7 man up front to stop the run to keep the element of the cover 2 shell in place on 1st and 2nd down. If we do that, he predicts we win 70% of the battles threw the air.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

First off, Mario will be coming most of the time. But he could come from anywhere. He could line up initially on the right and then move inside or to the other side. So your pre-snap reads mean less.

Secondly, any of the other linebackers could also come. The guys can all shift and move around and it makes it more difficult to identify assignments.

Third, Mario could drop into a zone. He doesn't have to be great at coverage, he just has to get in the way and make tackles. With his size and athleticism, he can do that.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'm really getting concerned with our linebacker corps. I hope we add some depth there and at least make a decent offer to Posluszney from Buffalo. He'd make a good ILB in our system.

12. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

You are correct, I was just hoping that when we hired Wade that Mario would turn into our Bruce Smith...plus none of our LBs have shown to be good at coverage and you when you are in coverage the goal is to prevent the completion, making the tackle is the aftermath...but not to derail the thread lets all toast to a better secondary :toast2:

13. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

Thats what I was thinking with Mario too...He can lineup one slot and switch while qb was under center......free flow him ...

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

But I thought we were going to send Mario 99.9997% of the time.

15. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

If he is used in the same manner as D. Ware in Dallas it is between 90-95 percent.

People are too crazy about the dropping in coverage. Depending on the game and scheme they are facing, the team will be in its pass coverage set (i.e. 4 man front) from 45%- 60% of the plays.

16. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Too much money and draft picks (2 1sts and 3 2nds) already tied up for us @LB, so I would not expect any action at all on a starting type LB. Besides if all three ILB play to thier highest potential, Cushing and Ryans are better (not a lot) than Posluszney. There are legitimate questions if Ryans (injury) and Cushing will play close to their potential, but the serious money ( I think) will go to the DBs.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Lots of things concern me about the LBers .....

MW rushing 95% of the time is one of them. I expect teams to exploit this tendancy. Sure the defense can compensate for MW's forward movement but its going to open holes elsewhere.

I think given a bit of game film of the Texans D , I could come up with quite a few ways to exploit it myself and I dont get paid big bucks to do it like the coordinators in the NFL .....It might all be short and underneath stuff .... but that is probably enough to move the chains.

I expect RB's and TE's to do a lot of the damage against this defense with flat and curl routes .... WR's and crossing routes too .... and thats while not getting all creative with combination routes , just finding the hole in the zone left by compensating for MW rushing .....

18. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

ok! ok! bla bla bla ok! ok! ok! bla bla bla ok! ok! ok! bla bla bla ok! ok! ok! bla bla bla ok!

OK!

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I dont think simply dropping into the occasional zone is enough for a LB , they have to have some cover ability or it really limits what you can do with those other potential rushers.

I think he will do Ok with TE's - especially the larger guy's , its the tweener type TE's and RB's that concern me.

If you know MW is coming at the QB 90% of the time , you can also predict who slides into that area - most likely the ILB on that side which is going to open up two spaces one on either side of that LB that slides over ..... unless of course they bring a safety up ..... but with the corners currently on this roster - I dont like the sound of that.

20. Rey

Rey Guest

If Mario is going to be coming a lot it means the other olb has to have some cover ability.

But I don't really get your concerns because from a base defense standpoint it's not a whole lot different than a 43.

I dont think Mario is the problem. I think barwin and reed are the ones to be concerned with. They are going to have to be more versatile than Mario. And they are going to have to make more plays in space.