Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

XFL Revival?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Dec 29, 2017.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

In this time of so many NFL controversies, conflicts, and discontent an XFL reboot is not so far fetched.

The age of Trump seems like a better time than ever for an XFL revival

Calls for a safer, more regulated NFL have been concurrent with the rumored revival of Vince McMahon’s XFL. Which couldn’t make more sense

Jack Moore

Tue 26 Dec ‘17 08.52 EST Last modified on Tue 26 Dec ‘17 08.53 EST

During an interception return in the third quarter of last week’s game between the Carolina Panthers and the Green Bay Packers, Panthers cornerback Thomas Davis appeared to relish the rare opportunity to play the role of lead blocker. Davis saw Packers wide receiver Davante Adams following the play unaware and launched his shoulder into Adams’s helmet. Davis was laid out onto the ground and suffered a concussion, forcing him from the game and potentially costing Adams his ability to participate in the rest of the season.

Davis received a two-game suspension for the hit, meaning he is done for the remainder of the regular season. But this collision and other violent, over-the-top hits to the head like the one that left Tampa Bay quarterback Tom Savage shaking on the turf two Sundays ago have led some football pontificators to suggest the NFL needs to adopt a targeting rule akin to the one currently on the NCAA books, which would allow referees to eject players for overly violent hits to a defenseless player’s head. NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent said on 6 December of a targeting rule, “I think it’s something that we have to consider.”

Contrast this news with a rumor to surface of late: the XFL, Vince McMahon’s ill-fated wrestling inspired spring football league, may be up for a reboot. According to Deadspin’s David Bixenspan, McMahon has created a new venture called Alpha Entertainment that will “explore investment opportunities across the sports and entertainment landscapes, including professional football.” Alpha has filed for trademarks on “URFL” and “UrFL”, and another McMahon venture, VKM Ventures LLC, applied to trademark “For the Love of Football”, “UFL”, and “United Football League”. These applications have all been filed since September, leading some to speculate the XFL revival whatever name it ends up with – could be a response to the disgruntlement some NFL fans have expressed in the wake of player protests against police brutality. THE REST OF THE STORY

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Adding to a saturated market. TV markets down across the board. Perfect timing.

chicagotexan2 and Ranger Tom like this.
  3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they can just play the anthem, cheer, and then go home happy? I'd watch that for a good laugh. Not going to watch minor league pro football.

Wolf and infantrycak like this.
  4. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

I wish Houston had an XFL team!
    I'd go to every game. At least we got Rugby.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I hope the XFL works, I doubt it will.

The NFL needs to have its anti trust exemption removed.

6. infantrycak

Why?

7. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 Fire Fat Travolta

Exactly - and it would be an inferior product to the nfl.

8. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

The business of trying to compete with the NFL product is going to be a sure failure...it's been proven on multiple occasions in the past.

It really is time to knock it down a tier and compete with College Football, which has never been done!!! Supposedly CFB programs cannot pay athletes for play but can offer them a tremendous upper educational opportunity free of charge....does it work? Not really, CFB is a highly successful money making business and the college athlete is the gas that makes the engine run. Do they truly have the athletes best interest in mind? No!!! If they fail to perform on the field (forget the classroom), they're out. My feeling on this matter is simple....you want to play college football and the school wants you to play for them on a full athletic scholarship, then you're there for a full 4 seasons and should not be eligible for the NFL Draft until the athlete has earned his/her degree. This what the schools promise in their presentation, so this is what should be honored instead of using colleges as the minor league system to professional sports. It would bring the athletes best interest back into perspective instead of using them up and then tossing them to the streets when they're done with them.

The time has come to give these young athletes an opportunity to choose between going to school under the premises of getting an education or just having the outright opportunity of getting paid to learn the Professional (NFL) System on a full time basis. It's time to bring honesty and integrity back into the football system.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  9. infantrycak

There's nothing dishonest about college football. You may not like the set up and that's fine. But it's very open. We'll give you 3 years of education, tutors, room & board (4th year, your option) and you play a game for our entertainment.

10. Ranger Tom

Ranger Tom Hall of Fame

There's always someone trying to make a developmental league for the NFL, similar to what the NBA has in the G-League. Maybe one of them will pull it off.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. TexasCowboy

TexasCowboy Straight Talker

I like the idea, but about as unlikely as? CM Punk bringing back the WWE Ice cream bar which by the way were really delicious

12. OptimisticTexan

C'mon man...you don't think there are college athletes getting paid to play by boosters? Teams getting grades adjusted for players who never attend class in order to keep them eligible? Coaching staffs covering up everything from harmless petty crimes to malicious criminal activity in order to keep the talent on the field producing? There's a lot of dishonesty in the college game but it's kept fairly hush-hush b/c there's no competition to challenge them. I think the right ownership group could make the new league successful and easily compete for the abundance of young talent.

13. infantrycak

I was talking about the system not the cheats.

Now what's really stupid are the sport specific limitations. A tennis player or skier can give lessons. A football player cannot.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  14. OptimisticTexan

Remember what doomed the USFL? It was those crazy contracts they were handing out to players so they would join the USFL. I'm sure the NFL was caught off guard to a degree but in the long run, they knew the league would never be able to honor their contracts and monetary value.

The next XFL installment will meet the same fate simply b/c the athletes are guys who couldn't make it in the NFL, CFL or AFL. A good college program would beat the majority of the teams assembled. This will fail once again....and I thought Vince McMahon was a more astute businessman. I have a hard time believing that he'd be willing to beat that dead horse again....but, he has billions, so what can I say?

As for competing against colleges, I have no doubts that, if HS athletes have a viable option of getting paid while they learn professional football skills 24/7, they just might take that route instead of committing to the school work they have no true interest in. As for the league's popularity, sign some of the ESPN 150 or 300 athletes and suddenly the league could have some validation. As for the athlete, they could be stronger and much more NFL ready when exposed to the draft. A league like this could eventually force its way to the NFL table by; 1. Proving they have no interest in being a direct competition league. 2. Providing players to the NFL Draft that could be at minimum a year ahead of the college athletes from a professional level of football. 3. Get enough top HS athletes to join the league and eventually the NFL would have to come to the table to examine the feasibility of moving this new development league under the NFL umbrella. Best of all...what could college programs do to prevent this league from succeeding?

15. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

They already have that and it's called NCAA football. They do get paid as well. They get paid anywhere from $25k to $200K depending how expensive the tuition and other expenses is to enroll them. That's a hell of a deal when you get consider the increased job opportunities and salary demands down the line. Having just a basic college degree would have put me in all types of better interviews and job opportunities if I had one when I was in the corporate field. I was never the type to rely on student loans. College football is a great opportunity for any young man.

bah007 and JB like this.
  16. TexasCowboy

What doomed the USFL was ratings trying to compete and beat the bigger brand of the NFL kinda like the way Smackdown is inferior to Monday Night Raw. Clearly, Vince is good at wrestling but not even his ratings beat the NFL during the season. when it is clear more are watching football than they
    are wrestling and the WWE has to use fake stats to make it appear as though Raw is bigger

JB likes this.
  17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

That's why a developmental league is needed, to work with the NFL not compete with it

Double Barrel likes this.
  18. OptimisticTexan

USFL was doomed by the foolish contracts they gave to draftees. XFL was doomed b/c of the WWF shenanigans they incorporated to one up the AFL. The WFL suffered the same fate when they made their attempt at becoming the next NFL. The NFL brand (monopoly) is just too strong to be competed with, that's the reality.

CFB on the other hand...no one has ever competed for their player pool or revenues. Like I mentioned before, let some of these top (ESPN 150 or 300 / 5 Star) athletes announce on National Signing Day that they will be entering the, ex; PFL (Professional Football League) Draft instead of signing with any of the schools that recruited him. There are no ridiculous contracts needed to circumvent CFB since the competition is against a perceived education that an athlete may pursue. Some of the top athletes want out of college sooner when they know there is money to be made in the NFL, so what value was placed on the free education from the beginning? For a lot of these young athletes...college is nothing more than a bridge that connects their aspirations of playing in the NFL.

I'm a big CFB fan and a competing league that pays its athletes could definitely have an impact on their bottom line, financially. At the same time, it could reduce the riff-raft involved with signing kids to schools when the school already knows....if this kid wasn't such a good athlete he'd never see the light of day of being accepted to said school under his current academic resume. If a kid wants to get a college degree while playing CFB, then that should be the focus of the school and its Athletic Department. If a kid would like to play football and get paid for doing so, then that should be an option.

Does a new league like this get there overnight? Of course not but it could get there eventually if properly managed and a few of these athletes go high in the draft. If the NFL chose to ignore these athletes, then at any given point, they would be available to sign with any team of their choosing as an UFA. I would have serious doubts that the NFL would ever let something like this happen, their desire to make money would force them to endorse this league as a way to ensure their current pipeline structure of bringing talent to the NFL remains intact. Imagine, these players could circumvent the Rookie Wage Scale since they were not drafted....and free to have their agent negotiate a standard NFL contract at monetary amount the pursuing team is willing to pay. Again, let this happen a few times and the new league will have no problem attracting many more top athletes.

19. TexasCowboy

They already tried that (NFL Europe) and it failed. so it seems developmental leagues are really only good for Baseball and Hockey in terms of
    giving actual players a legit shot at the big league.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Trying it in 'merica may just work better... you know here where there are actual fans?

OptimisticTexan likes this.