WRs

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Toro, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Toro

Toro Veteran

Scott Wright's NFLDraftCountdown Mock (which has the Texans taking AP at 8), has the team taking Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio State with their second round selection.

This got me to thinking-- how eager would you be to see the Texans take a WR in this draft?

Just going off this mock alone, Gonzalez is one of those sleeper type who will make some NFL team very happy. Some scouts think that Gonzalez, not Ted Ginn Jr., will be the Ohio State WR who makes waves on the NFL level, and where I think Ginn's explosiveness will make him valuable, I think Gonzalez is the better pure WR, or will be on the pro level.

Other WR I like are Johnnie Lee Higgins of UTEP, Jason Hill of Washington State, Aundrae Allison of East Carolina and Rhema McKnight of Notre Dame.

2. sgntxnfn

sgntxnfn Rookie

I really like Craig Davis out of LSU if we were to look at a WR with the second pick (which i don't think is a bad idea at all) Davis is a talented all-around wide-out with good play-making ability and filled a similar capacity as second receiver at LSU.

3. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I would look at Paul Williams in the third round.

4. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

5. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I wouldn't want a WR with the players still available in this mock draft.

6. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

True

But I think this is a deep draft for WR's. IMO Paul williams would go early second round in a regular draft.

7. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

If Calvin Johnson is not available I don't want a WR day1.

8. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I dont either maybe PW can somehow fall to the fourth round. I would still probably go defense or oline.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'm hopeful the Texans do draft a WR. This draft is very deep at the position, and the Texans stil need to find a deep threat. I don't see Mathis ever becoming that guy.

A couple of guys in today's East-West Shrine game could fit the bill and be available in the mid rounds. Steve Breaston from Michigan and small school sleeper Jacoby Jones from Lane College have had good practices this week. Both can help in the return game and eventually work their way into 3 wideout sets.

10. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

I must say I'd be disappointed with a WR in the 2nd round ONLY if we drafted a offensive player in the 1st.

I think with the growing up that our defense did last year we need to continue to add to its talent base. I saw Meriweather the safety from the U still there. I know he has had "character" issues but there is no denying his talent.

I could wait on a offensive player honestly until the 3rd all together. I'm still high on the CB's from Pittsburgh and Michigan.

11. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Exactly. If we draft Peterson or Lynch in the first, I want to see us go defense in the second (although I would not mind a LT or RT)

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I would prefer looking at defense in the 2nd, especially if we get Peterson in the 1st. For the most part defensive positions are much deeper in this draft than offensive players so we can possible find a 1st round graded defensive player with our 2nd round pick (Brandon Meriweather, Chris Houston, etc.) and a 2nd round graded guy with our 3rd round pick etc, and I think we have more big holes on defense than on offense. However, if Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem are available at #39 I'd at least consider taking them, outside of those two I don't think I'd even consider any other WRs there (unless of course Sidney Rice or Dwayne Jarrett somehow fell which won't happen). I'd consider Anthony Gonzalez if he's around in the 3rd, or other guys like Chansi Stuckey, Paul Williams, Johnnie Lee Higgins, or other speedy WRs somewhere in the 2nd day.

13. Texan_Aggie222

Texan_Aggie222 Rookie

Anthoney Gonzales wouldn't be the right type of WR we need to draft. Gonzales is a possesion receiver who can find open holes in the zone. The only reason he got so many balls thrown his way this season is because he had Ted Ginn Jr. playing on the opposite side of him. He would be a great slot receiver.

I would love for us to pick Greg Davis from LSU. He is not the best WR coming out from LSU, that title belongs to Bowe who will be a late 1st round pick. Greg Davis does not have the frame of Bowe, but is faster and a better route runner. I think he will be a late second to early third pick and would be a great player to develop and play along side of Andre Johnson.

14. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'd like to see the team pickup a deep threat in the late rounds..... don't trust Mathis to be healthy or consistent enough to be that guy.

15. Cincinnatikid

Cincinnatikid Veteran

Gonzalez is very underrated. He runs a 4.3 and catches everything. He is going to be very good.

16. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

BS he runs a 4.3

17. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

From what I know he does run a 4.3

18. sgntxnfn

sgntxnfn Rookie

Not to sound snotty but its Craig Davis, not Greg Davis. I mentioned him earlier in the thread.

19. Texan_Aggie222

Texan_Aggie222 Rookie

Well........at least it sounds the same right? :shades:

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i maybe be biased but you can get one of the texas tech recievers in rounds 4-6 and they have better hands than most of the other recievers in rounds 2-4