WR Josh Gordon - Baylor in Supplemental Draft

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TexanCR, Jul 7, 2012.

1. TexanCR

TexanCR Rookie

So this guy is going for the supplemental draft, I heard some reports that he was a 1st/2nd rounder after his sophmore year and now he is mentioned in the 3rd round.

Since we are going to have at least 2 3rds (1 compensation pick for Mario) do you guys think we can go for this guy since we already have a spot open (Dwight Jones) ?

His numbers are not bad on the yards and TDs category, his receptions are not mind blowing but he seems like a good option.

"He had 42 receptions for 714 yards (17.0 per catch) and seven touchdowns in 2010, and has been clocked in the low 4.3-second range while at Baylor."

This 6’3″, 220-pound receiver.

The question here, is there a better WR prospect in the 3rd round next year than Gordon? If not, then we should at least consider it.

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Are you referring to Josh Gordon? Try to provide a link in the future.

From Adam Caplan of thesidelineview.com

I doubt that the Texans would spend a 3rd round pick on a player who has only one full year of experience (Gordon hardly played his freshman year). However, they should have picks in the 5th and/or 6th round for losing Allen, Brisiel, and Dreessen. The date of the draft is near, so they would need to workout and interview Gordon soon. I have to wonder what the suspension at Baylor involved. With 2 rookie WRs and a UDFA who has never played a regular season down (Lestar Jean) likely to make the team, it's unlikely the Texans would spend a future pick at the position.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. TexanCR

TexanCR Rookie

"A source with knowledge of multiple teams' thinking tells Profootballtalk.com that Supplemental Draft prospect WR Josh Gordon has generated a third-round grade from at least one NFC team.
    The source added that high-ranking people at Baylor believed Gordon was a superior prospect to Titans first-round pick Kendall Wright during both receivers' time in Waco. Gordon managed just 43 receptions in college, but averaged 17 yards per catch in his lone full year at Baylor. Teams are "enamored" with his size and speed, and he looks destined for the early rounds of Thursday's draft"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...c-team-assigns-josh-gordon-third-round-grade/

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Some enlightening information from a Phins site:

EDIT: Found this statement by Bears Coach Briles sort of humorous and "prophetic."

5. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    We already did Dwight Jones this year. I think 1 diva tryout a year is enough.

Y'all, it takes a lot of weed to pass out before you get your munchies. I'd like to say weed doesn't have the same negative effects on driving as alcohol but there's always one !d!ot to screw it up for the rest of us.

6. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

I'd put up a 6th to get this guy, but that's about it. I think a WR needy team like like Cleveland, Miami, Minnesota or Seattle will snag this guy for a 3rd. Sounds like a waste though. Size does not equal quality.

7. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I predict this guy will be a Titan or Cowboy.

8. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

There's no way we'd invest a high supplemental pick on a guy who's as iffy as this guy right now. We just used a 3rd and a 4th for 2 receivers in this year's draft. Plus, you have AJ, Walter, and Jean. Assuming we only carry 5 receivers then that would mean you'd have to try to stash 1 pretty high to mid-round pick on the practice squad. Just seems like you're risking throwing a pick away.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Too many question marks on team now. I'd rather watch for another season and choose.

10. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Likewise.

I perhaps should be more concerned about our receiving corps than I am but I think they'll do all right. It may take a few games for them to gel and get the timing spot on but I do believe there's receiving talent on the roster right now with a vet sure to be added during TC.

badboy likes this.
  11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would pick him in the 4th rd.

Guys that are 6'4 220 and run 4.4 dont grow on trees.

We're talking about AJ measurable here.

Gordon was said to be a better talent than Kendall Wright. But there's no way BoB,Rick and Gary take this guy.

Gordon seem like a 3rd rd pick for Jerrah and the Cowgirls.

12. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

We don't need use a high pick on a undisciplined pothead and we don't need that kind of stuff in the locker room either.

If he falls to the 5th or 6th I'd take him but nothing higher than that.

13. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

1h Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Josh Gordon is bigger, faster, stronger than former Baylor teammate Kendall Wright. As far as supplemental drafts go, he is a rare talent.

Receiver needy teams that figure to be interested in Josh Gordon: Browns, Dolphins, Panthers, Colts, Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins and more.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound Josh Gordon is expected to be timed in the 40-yard dash in the 4.4s or better. He could go as high as 2nd round.

Former Baylor WR Josh Gordon, who declared for Thursday's supplemental draft, is scheduled to hold his Pro Day on Tues. at Texans facility.

14. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Wow!

Chad Reuter ‏@ChadReuter
    I'll be surprised if Josh Gordon lasts past 2nd round of supplemental draft. More talent than many potential '13 #2's, plus you get him NOW.

15. Dutchrudder

Interesting...

16. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

was originally scheduled for Rice but changed to Texans' indoor facility because of rain possibilities

17. Dutchrudder

Less interesting...

:)

18. TexanCR

TexanCR Rookie

Well, we spent a third rounder on an iffy WR project too... and with less measurables than this guy.

People are putting a round 2 tag on this guy, we need a good number 2 that can stretch the field, also big and strong that can help us in the blocking game.

If you see pictures of Posey he just looks thin and weak, agile maybe but this guy already looks like a way better project...and dont tell me that he was absecent a whole year and was suspended from his team, sounds familiar?

Apples and peaches I guess (drugs and selling rings) either way I dont care if the guy is not squeaky clean as long as he can help. Plus a young player with huge potential that will come cheap.

Like a previous poster said, players with those measurables dont grown on tress.

Having said that there is 0% chances that Rick will use a second on this guy (even if he had 10 second rounders), is not his MO to take risks, thats why we are stuck with Walter as number 2 for another season and probably more.

:wadepalm:

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  19. Dutchrudder

You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/10/supplemental-prospect-gordon-runs-4-52-forty-at-pro-day/

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

I would prefer to spend a 4th on the boy, but I fear a 3rd will be required. We are hurting for quality WR's right now. I dont see how using a 3rd on him is a bad idea at all.