WR Drop Rate, 2013 -- PFF

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

ProFootballFocus Signature Stat -- WR Drop Rate, 2013
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/24/sig-stats-drop-rate-wrs/

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  2. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Fitz is just amazing and is on a completely different level from everyone else. Dude was born with baseball gloves instead of hands.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'd be curious to see where AJ ranked.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Do they spell out their criteria for catchable? They sure are knocking off a bunch.

Larry Fitzgerald - tgts 136, 83 catchable -> 39% uncatchable.
    DeAndre Hopkins - tgts 93, 53 catchable -> 43% uncatchable.

5. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

I suspect pretty low last season. He had numerous drops of catchable balls. Far more than typical for him.

6. Playoffs

10 drops, 8.40% catch rate.

I'd have to use a spreadsheet to mirror their filters for this particular article but that puts him just in the top half for 2013.
    There's a dropped passes statistic, so receptions + dropped passes = catchable. PFF does their own charting/grading on targets/drops/etc.

Here's another website with their own criteria: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

AJ does that. Goes 2 or 3 years with an excellent drop rate and then will have an off year often with most of the drops coming in 1-3 games.

What about tipped/defensed? Are they carrying the same uncatchable stats over to QBs?

I remember a few years ago listening to an interview with a guy explaining how they did it (he was with a team) and they had an in the middle category for balls which weren't thrown so badly they would call it a misthrow for the QB but weren't thrown well enough that if the WR didn't catch it they counted it as a drop. So neither was getting dinged no matter whether the result was a reception or not.

8. Playoffs

Yeah, everything they do that I see makes common sense. Like NFL would award a sack to whichever defensive player was closest to a QB if the QB just tripped on his own feet and fell down -- they don't do that.

For QBs they have throw aways, hit as threw, batted passes, and spikes in addition to the standard stuff. Also passing with no pressure, under pressure, when blitzed, no blitz, as well as location metrics.

For me it gives consistent detailed information over time. Similar service would do the same, imo.

9. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

10. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

The default sort on that list is the number of drops in descending order (from bad to good). When I resorted by the drop %age, I noticed that they don't have a minimum # of targets requirement, which makes it difficult to read. In any case, they have both Hopkins and Fitzgerald with 2 drops, somewhere near the top of the list.

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

They had OD with 0.