WR Davone Bess MIA on trade block

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by srrono, Apr 25, 2013.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Source NFL.com
    2013 Salary 3,433,000

Stats

2012 Games 13 Rec 61 Yds 778 AVG 12.8 TD 1
    2011 Games 16 Rec 51 Yds 537 AVG 10.5 TD 3
    2010 Games 16 Rec 79 Yds 820 AVG 10.4 TD 5
    2009 Games 16 Rec 76 Yds 758 AVG 10.0 TD 2
    2008 Games 16 Rec 54 Yds 554 AVG 10.3 TD 1

Davone Bess #15 WR

Height: 5-10 Weight: 193 Age: 27

Born: 9/13/1985 Hayward , CA

College: Hawaii

Experience: 6th season

High School: Skyline HS [Oakland, CA]

Analysis as draft prospect

Positives: Short, but has a thick frame, especially in his lower body, to withstand the punishment of the NFL. … Soft hands to pluck the ball. … Good body control to adjust and make the difficult reception. … Good quickness as a route-runner, but is even better after the catch, where he can make defenders miss in the open field.

Negatives: Lacks elite size or stopwatch speed. … Runs a variety of routes in the Hawaii offense, but rarely used as a true vertical threat. … Can attempt to make a move without looking the ball in all the way, resulting in some ugly drops. … Eye-popping production a result of playing in this offense.

40 time 4.60 4.64

I never really watched him play what do you think of him?

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

He's a playmaking version of your average #2 WR. He gets the same numbers every year basically, but he does make some plays along the way that guys like Walter can't make. He might put up better numbers on a team with a real QB, but he's never going to be confused for a #1 WR, IMO.

He'd make a good second fiddle to AJ though. :)

3. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Couple things here. First is you listed his cap hit of 3.43m this year, he actually would only count $2,683,000 against the cap to a team that trades for him. That makes him available for trade to the Texans, because he's cheap. However, this is the last year of his deal, so he would be essentially a 1 year rental. I don't have a clue how much he could garner on the free agent market next year, so I won't speculate on that.

I doubt he is getting much interest for trade around the league given this draft is deep at WR, so I bet he could be pried away from the Dolphins for a 4th or maybe a 5th.

They said the Browns are interested, and I think that makes sense, but I don't think the Browns can afford to give up picks to get him. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dolphins use Bess and some mid round picks to trade up to the Browns spot at #6 to get whichever OT falls there. The Browns need more picks badly, so getting one of the Dolphins 2nds and Bess to move back 6 spots wouldn't be too bad.

4. Rey

Rey Guest

Why are they trading him?

Just because you bring in a WR you like doesn't mean you get rid of a good one you already have...

5. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

welcome to the trade money cap era

6. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

The re-signed Hartline and brought in Mike Wallace and Brandon Gibson. They don't need all those WRs, but they should have just avoided signing Gibson instead of trying to trade Bess.

Fun fact, of those 4 WRs, Bess carries the largest caphit this year.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If Bess is going into the final year of his contract, that could also be a factor. They may believe that Bess will test FA & they don't feel like competing for him...

Remember, this is the same (one of) organization that didn't value Wes Welker.

I think Bess has been doing a good job making his QBs look good. We could use that kind of help & he's more dependable than Jacoby, more of a play maker than Walter & imo, more of a sure thing than Posey & LeStar.

I was surprised to see that he's 5'10" 193lbs....... I always thought he was bigger.

dc_txtech likes this.
  8. Rey

Rey Guest

Me too.

Also agree that this is a guy we should consider trading for.

9. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Yeah, I'm sure the final year thing is an issue for the Dolphins, but I think it has a lot to do with them making Wallace and Hartline the 1&2. I really don't think the Dolphins are going to get more than a 4th for him, and I would bet they only get a 5th. If the Texans could snag him for a 5th, I would be very happy. It would make trading down from 27 an easier decision and let us focus on more pressing needs than WR. I think Bess is more likely to have an impact in 2013 than any WR we get at 27 or later.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

But deep down, we know the Texans won't even enter the conversation.

They know something we don't know. & we just don't see the big picture.

11. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 August Preseason!

Well what if the bigger pictures got away and that we did not realize how good of a player he could be until he signs with another team?

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

13. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

14. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Details of the trade:

Pretty cheap pick-wise, but I don't know how much the new deal will cost.

15. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Dutch, do you still feel this way?

16. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Nope, never thought we had a chance at Hopkins. Him, Patterson and Austin were the top WRs in this draft, and I didn't think any would fall to us, but two did thanks to the crazy amount of o-line picks. Hopkins is much better than Bess, but I would rather have Bess than Bonner.