Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Would You Trade Watt for the #1 Pick?

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
I realize this won't be a popular idea :hides:, but the fact is this team is bad, but not bad enough to land a top 5 pick this year. I believe we will be a 6 or 7 win team, which would put us around 9-15th pick in the draft this year, depending on how everyone else does.

Currently, the Giants, Jaguars and Bucs are all winless, and don't look like they will improve much as the year goes on. The Giant's defense is absolutely terrible, and they can't stop anyone. The only way they will win a game this year is if Eli goes off and outscores the other team. That certainly could happen, but for the fun of it, let's look at what happens if they both go 0-16.

When two teams have the same record in the regular season, the tiebreakers for draft pick order are as follows:

• Strength of schedule for the previous season is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same winning percentage. The team with the lowest strength of schedule percentage wins the tiebreaker and picks ahead of all other teams with the same record.

• Divisional and conference records are the next step in the tie-breaking procedure.

• As a last resort, a coin toss is used to determine the order of selection for teams with the same winning percentage.

Besides their division, the Giants play the NFC North, the AFC West, the Panthers and the Seahawks. Currently a SOS of .686.

Besides their division, the Jaguars play the NFC West, AFC West, the Browns and the Bills. Currently a SOS of .722.

You can see now that Jacksonville isn't assured the top pick in the draft by losing out. They could be dependent on how their competition does, and right now our division has 2 more wins than the NFC East. The AFC West is a wash for these two teams, because they are common opponents. The same can be said of the Seahawks, because the Giants play them. That Seahawks matchup is really key for the Giants because it nullifies one of the best teams the Jags would play, thus taking away a 12+ win team that could have been the difference. So if you're rooting for the Giants to get the #1 overall pick, you want the Browns, Bills and AFC South to win a lot of games.

In any case, there is a realistic chance that the Giants would win this tiebreaker and end up with the #1 pick if they lose out. But what would the Giants do with that pick? I don't think they are in the market for a QB, Eli is 32 and has plenty of game left in him, but their defense needs a complete makeover. Jadeveon Clowney is an interesting prospect, but I think a well-run organization like the Giants will know better than to take a chance on him. So I'm suggesting we could make a move to trade JJ Watt for it, because he is a proven commodity and would be a beast in their 4-3.

I love JJ, and I don't want to see him go, but the fact is great defensive players don't win you championships, but QBs can. If you think Bridgewater is truly a franchise QB for the future that has the potential to win a Super Bowl, then I think this move makes sense. We are going to be rebuilding next year, so this would be a major step towards that. Getting a QB of the future is more important than anything else.

So would you do it? Would you take Teddy Bridgewater with the #1 pick or some other QB? Do you think it would take more than Watt to get the #1 pick? Maybe Watt and our #1, whatever that ends up being. It's just a thought, and could be used for mocks if anyone wants to use the idea.

Heeeeell Vuggin' NO! Not even if I was smoking blue meth out of one side of my mouth while I had a crack pipe in the OTHER.

That would be hilarious only because it'd piss off thousands of women in the Houston area who are all of a sudden huge Texans fans and have invested a lot of money on pink Watt jerseys. I wouldn't trade Watt for a draft pick because you don't know what you're getting. In the entire NFL I'd only trade him for Aaron Rodgers and maybe Andrew Luck but that's it.

Trade potentially the best Defensive Lineman to ever play the game?

Wouldn't doubt that it has run through Ricks mind ...

Hell no!

Bridgewater isn't worth Watt, IMO. If I could trade Watt for Andrew Luck, I would. Not so for Bridgewater. We've got good talent in this coming class but not 2012 talent, I don't think. That class of Luck, RGIII, Wilson, and Tannehill might go on to win quite a few rings between the four of them.

Outside the Bridgewater, Boyd, Hundley trifecta, there is no one I really really want for this team (Manziel is just a homer pick, I really think he'd be better off in Philly or something). And I'm not sure I like them enough to trade Watt.

Not to mention I would never trade Watt to the Jags lol

No way in hell. I understand what you're getting at, but this Defense is Watt / Cushing then everyone else.

Nope. All the explaining in the world is not going to convince me that there is a draft pick in the next class that is worth what Watt brings to the field.

Let's be clear here....

the only way you consider trading JJ Watt is if he and his agent demand a $100 million/$20 million a year contract. (which is very likely, expect it) familiarize yourself with Reggie White's 1st Green Bay contract.

then and only then would you consider trading JJ Watt

and let's be clear here......

you would only trade JJ Watt for nothing less than (3) THREE FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS, and maybe more. (see Herschel Walker)

and if that doesn't work out....

you Franchise JJ Watt for the next 2 years.

If they were given the next 6 years #1 picks, I would have to think about that! Somehow I don't think that is possible, so as silly as my reply was, so was the OP question...

REALLY???

Not this yr

But if it were an Elway/Manning/Luck draft yr etv .... I would without hesitation.

Let's be clear here....

the only way you consider trading JJ Watt is if he and his agent demand a $100 million/$20 million a year contract. (which is very likely, expect it) familiarize yourself with Reggie White's 1st Green Bay contract.

then and only then would you consider trading JJ Watt

and let's be clear here......

you would only trade JJ Watt for nothing less than (3) THREE FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS, and maybe more. (see Herschel Walker)

and if that doesn't work out....

you Franchise JJ Watt for the next 2 years.

^^^^
This

Kraft who is BoB's mentor traded Seymour (Seymour was the dominant DL of his time) after he made ridiculious contract demands. New England is where they are because they put a value on guys and if they dont except the Pats move the player. It's called cap management and it's one of the reasons the Pats are better than the Texans every yr. That and the fact that the Pats have Belichick and Brady. While the Texans have Gary/Schaub.

This thread is blasphemous!!! Off with his head!!! :bat:

Ah, c'mon, it's the offseason... :kitten:

Probably should have thrown in some other ideas instead of just Watt. Watt's our best commodity and the only certain shot at the #1 pick that we have. We have some other assets that could be packaged to get the #1 pick, i'm just not sure they would net it given their contracts. But here are some other ideas just to kick around while we wait for January to bring us our new HC candidates. I think that we have to throw in a player that is a known quantity in order to outbid the desperate teams lacking a QB and picking between 3rd-10th.

Still assuming the Giants get the #1 pick and that other teams will also be bidding:

Would you trade Arian Foster + 2014 1st, for the #1 overall pick?
I'd be in favor of that move. Unload a costly RB for a potential franchise QB? Sign me up. The Giants have been searching for a bonafide #1 RB for a while, and they can still pickup a good defensive player with our pick.

Would you trade Kareem Jackson + 2014 1st for the #1 overall pick?

Would you trade Ben Tate + 2014 1st and 2nd for the #1 overall pick?

Would you trade 2014, 2015 and 2016 1st round picks for the #1 overall pick?

Still assuming the Giants get the #1 pick and that other teams will also be bidding:

Would you trade Arian Foster + 2014 1st, for the #1 overall pick?
I'd be in favor of that move. Unload a costly RB for a potential franchise QB? Sign me up. The Giants have been searching for a bonafide #1 RB for a while, and they can still pickup a good defensive player with our pick.

Would you trade Kareem Jackson + 2014 1st for the #1 overall pick?

Would you trade Ben Tate + 2014 1st and 2nd for the #1 overall pick?

Would you trade 2014, 2015 and 2016 1st round picks for the #1 overall pick?

No to Watt.

No to the Foster trade- Tate is a UFA
Yes to KJ trade
Yes to Tate trade
No to the pick trade

Of course, this is assuming you consider Bridgewater to be a franchise QB. I don't.

^^^^
This

Kraft who is BoB's mentor traded Seymour (Seymour was the dominant DL of his time) after he made ridiculious contract demands. New England is where they are because they put a value on guys and if they dont except the Pats move the player. It's called cap management and it's one of the reasons the Pats are better than the Texans every yr. That and the fact that the Pats have Belichick and Brady. While the Texans have Gary/Schaub.

Number of SB wins with Seymour = 3 (with 1 losing appearance).
Number of SB wins without Seymour = 0 (with 1 losing appearance).

I am open to all draft or player trade ideas but I would not trade JJ for #1 + #2. I would trade him for certain established NFL players I guess. Honestly have not thought about it. Amazingly you are not catching the heat I did when proposing to trade AJ a few years ago.

Number of SB wins with Seymour = 3 (with 1 losing appearance).
Number of SB wins without Seymour = 0 (with 1 losing appearance).

If they had paid Seymour they probably would've had to let most of their very good OL go and Brady would've been in trouble. They may not have won a SB but atleast they made it to the SB or AFC championship game every yr. This is territory the Texans have never known and probably never will under Rick/Gary.

I wouldn't trade Watt, but I thought I would throw out there what BoB's mentor did when faced with this dilema. The Texans dont have Brady so this is something they dont have to worry about.

We traded Travis Johnson for Aaron Rodgers . :mariopalm:

If I got the feeling JJ had no intention of staying I would trade him . If they lose a few more before whenever the trading deadline is , I would part with AJ as a favor . I'd trade Foster forthe right price .

If they had paid Seymour they probably would've had to let most of their very good OL go and Brady would've been in trouble. They may not have won a SB but atleast they made it to the SB or AFC championship game every yr. This is territory the Texans have never known and probably never will under Rick/Gary.

It's territory the Patriots haven't known since Seymour either. Since Seymour they have been:

No playoffs.
Lose wildcard.
Bye - lose division.
Lose SB.
Lose conference which they got to by beating the Texans.

It's territory the Patriots haven't known since Seymour either. Since Seymour they have been:

No playoffs.
Lose wildcard.
Bye - lose division.
Lose SB.

Do you really think Seymour was the catalyst to cause that small regression?

No playoffs.
Lose wildcard.
Bye - lose division.
Lose SB.

I will take 11-5 no playoffs
10-7 Wildcard loser
14-2
SB that they were a dropped pass away from winning
Losing in AFC championship
Doing very well this yr.

See you may not be able to win them all. But it's good to have teams fear you. Unlike teams that think they're soft and flame out in the 2nd rd.

Getting back to Watt I wouldn't trade him because there's no Brady on this team that has to be paid and with Watt atleast the fanbase gets to watch greatness at work.

Yes dutch. For the keys to an elway, peyton, luck type yes. For bridge, no.

Do you really think Seymour was the catalyst to cause that small regression?

What I think is it was a false comparison by someone who has a double standard for the Texans and everyone else and who has never passed up a chance to bash McNair & Kubiak..

To tie your question and the comparison together, Watt is 24. Seymour was 30. Watt is looking for his 1st big contract while in his prime. Seymour was looking for a 2nd big contract while on the down glide whether he stayed or left.

I will take 11-5 no playoffs
10-7 Wildcard loser
14-2
SB that they were a dropped pass away from winning
Losing in AFC championship
Doing very well this yr.

See you may not be able to win them all. But it's good to have teams fear you. Unlike teams that think they're soft and flame out in the 2nd rd.

Thanks for displaying the double standard. Winning 1 and then losing isn't good enough for the Texans but not getting in or going 0-1 is good enough for the Patriots.

In any event, they weren't championship or SB every year as claimed.

Remember all of the hysteria surrounding vick comming out of college? I would've done it for him as well.

What I think is it was a false comparison by someone who has a double standard for the Texans and everyone else and who has never passed up a chance to bash McNair & Kubiak..

To tie your question and the comparison together, Watt is 24. Seymour was 30. Watt is looking for his 1st big contract while in his prime. Seymour was looking for a 2nd big contract while on the down glide whether he stayed or left.

Thanks for displaying the double standard. Winning 1 and then losing isn't good enough for the Texans but not getting in or going 0-1 is good enough for the Patriots.

In any event, they weren't championship or SB every year as claimed.

In the playoffs are the Pats feared?

Are the Texans? If not why are they not feared?

I want a team that's feared even if they dont win a SB every yr.

The year Charles Johnson came out I suggested we trade Andre Johnson to move up and draft him. People acted like I was crazy. Having said that you're crazy. :). There is no one in this upcoming draft that even has the potential to be as good as watt.

Back