Would you guys be on board with Mike McCarthy?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

I think he still cares about winning. I sounds like the problem may be whether he is coachable or not.

thunderkyss and JB like this.
  2. gary

gary Hall of Fame

But sometimes you have to be coachabable and adapt in the later years of your career. You probably would wh more that way.

3. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

but does he care as much about winning as say someone like Brady? Brady has always taken well below his market value so they could field a competitive team around him. Rodgers' last 2 contracts have been record breaking for the highest paid position in the league. If winning was his ultimate goal why handicap his team like that? Not saying he doesn't care at all about winning, but it isn't priority #1 for him.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  4. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

Few are as focused and dedicated to winning as Brady is.

5. gary

gary Hall of Fame

That’s true. The only other one who might be even remotely close might be Brees but even he is probably not as obsessed with winning as Brady is.

6. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

that's why I have a hard time hating the guy like many do. Not many people out there would sacrifice millions and millions just to be competitive year in and year out

Texas Jake likes this.
  7. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I agree it should be an easier decision when you are making more money than most other people.

8. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

one thing I have learned in life is the vast majority of people can never have enough money.

gary and disaacks3 like this.
  9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

That might be true but I would not be that way.

10. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Meh. His wife's career earnings DWARF his. Makes those pesky decisions easier to make.

Plus, being a HoF QB, considered by many as the GOAT makes these things pay well too..
    [​IMG]

Max, BigBull, santo and 1 other person like this.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Helps that his wife is probably making even more

12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

My experience has been different...after getting the basics in some level of comfort, the majority of the people I meet don't do everything they can to make more money, even if that person would like more money than he or she has now.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    steelbtexan likes this.
  13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Would rather keep OB if that is the alternative.

Texas Jake and steelbtexan like this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Maybe Rodgers wants to win and knows McCarthy isn't the and realizes that McCarthy isn't the HC to get the job done. I think Rodgers is tired of carrying that franchise.

One SB in Rodgers career is the kind of track record that would make me never hire McCarthy.

JB and Texas Jake like this.
  15. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

My only rebuttal for this is how much was Thompson hindering the team with his don't participate in FA philosophy? Their drafts over recent years have not been good, so they had no talent coming in from either the draft or FA. Unfortunately it's kind of the situation we have with OB, how good of a coach is he actually and how much did a GM doing his job poorly effect him? I agree only winning 1 ring with Rodgers is a very bad look, idk if I can squarely put the blame on McCarthy and damn him from being a HC. He is after all the man who developed Rodgers into what he is today, I think he could be good for a team with a young QB or team planning on drafting a young QB this year.

That being said I don't think I'd want him as the HC of the Texans, because while I think he is a good or decent HC, and probably wouldn't suffer to many bad seasons with him I dont know how many great seasons he can bring you

steelbtexan and Texas Jake like this.
  16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Keep in mind that the defense has been depleted several times. They have lost important players on offense and defense but you might be right. I’d like someone to take off some of pressure off of OB though. I think we should just admire great coaches and quarterbacks teams who have won the whole thing because it’s not easy and mastering it is quite an achievement and it requires working hard together.

steelbtexan likes this.
  17. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I differ with apparently many if not most here.While I would not hand McCarthy a job based on the last couple of years, I would damn sure make it a point interview a head coach with a Superbowl and experience with Hall of Fame QBs who seem to have play style/skill closer than not to the guy I am trying to develop.

steelbtexan and JB like this.
  18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

As a HC, probably not. But as an OC if he could buy into OB's philosophy, I think we could do worse. Houston fans would be doing back flips for even 1 SB and his track record is pretty good overall. 9 playoff appearances in 12 years with 7 division titles in GB and 3 NFC championship games with 1 SB. Pllus a pretty good tenure at OC with NO

steelbtexan and Texas Jake like this.
  19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Would it mean OB is a good coach if the Texans wh the Super Bowl this season? Probably not but it would mean he is keeping his job for now. Just saying. Think about how coaching jobs in any sport might go downhill before you even know what happened.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Have you watched him play? 112% every game. I'm sure it's not his want to that's the problem.

Maybe he's too stubborn to get out of his way, but he wants to win.

Texas Jake, Max and FuzzyLogic like this.