Would you feel comfortable if the Texans...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BullNation4Life, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Could sign Mike Wallace from Pittsburgh but give up their first rounder?

Wallace is only 25, proven and there is not a DB in the NFL that can match his speed. Having him on the other side of AJ would absolutely be devastating to NFL defenses BUT may mean you have to let Mario Williams walk to sign Wallace, Foster and the others...

Thoughts…

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Would love to have Wallace.

Don't want to lose Mario.

But can you imagine a sign & trade deal for the two -- Mario would be ( and look like ) the second coming of Mean Joe Green in a Steelers uniform.

3. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

If we could fit him reasonably under the cap, I would forgo signing Mario and our first round draft pick for Wallace.

But, given the reports regarding our salary cap situation ATM, and the number of free agents we have next year, I do not see a long term contract for Wallace as a feasible option for us.

4. Trail.Blazr

Trail.Blazr All Pro

Mario and Mean in the same sentence? :laughjump:

5. Playoffs

Evan Silva @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    On SportsCenter, ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned the "#Ravens, #Bengals, #Patriots, #49ers" as teams that might pursue RFA WR Mike Wallace.

6. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

If the Steelers could sign Mario, then they would just keep Wallace. They don't have the cap room to sign either, their only hope is Wallace stays using the RFA 1st round tender.

7. Playoffs

Yeah, it was fantasy.

8. Fili

Fili All Pro

I wouldn't mind Wallace because he is guaranteed to be a solid receiver.

9. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

Hell yeah.....that guy would be perfect opposite Andre.......
    He can catch and has speed.......watched some games with him playing this year for the Steelers......he is real good.....

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Pick a better receiver. Percy Harvey, Sidney Rice..... I need to see someone a little more complete, even sacrificing speed. We simply do not have the kind of QB that can/will get the ball out ahead of a speed receiver on a consistent basis.

We need someone who can catch the ball, then make a play.

11. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

Doubt Pittsburgh lets Wallace go, they're like to let the ball fly these days, and with all this talk about Hines Ward possibly moving on, Todd Haley will want to work with a trio of Wallace-Brown-Sanders.

12. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Its not that they want to let him go, its that they don't have a lot of money left under the cap. That's why they aren't franchising him.

13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Speed WRs need a QB that can get them the ball deep and on time. A guy like Wallace and an arm like Schaub, I fear Wallace would out run Schaub's deep ball. Hell AJ learned to slow down for it.

14. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

This. Wallace makes plays by beating people deep. AJ just pwns people.

There is a difference.

15. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

Wallace would be a great addition, but not at the expense of losing Mario. Our team is built on a staunch defense, and a run first offense. If we were a "sling it everywhere and outscore the opponent" offense it might be different.

16. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i've written and re-written several replies on why i wouldnt look at wallace, instead focusing on a bigger target like bowe or colston who fit our system ... and then it hit me that we already have that. i hate to be the one to say it, but andre obviously didnt have the same wheels when he came back, and may not ever find that top end. we might not be looking for a compliment to andre, we may need a replacement for several situations.

we do need someone able to take the top off of coverages and wallace can certainly do that. he runs our favored routes well (slant, cross, post), but i worry that schaub wont "like" him. wallace isnt known for his ability to squat, nor get past a press cleanly. his zone awareness leaves a lot to be desired as well and goes towards not being trustworthy within the route. in the scenario however, wallace would be our #1. he would take a lot of andre's release routes, and 'dre would get a bigger dose of out and long release looks that walter was running.

there are pros and cons, but WR is our biggest weakness (assuming we resign everyone) going into 2012, a first for a 25 year old proven stud is certainly a bargain depending on his contract.

17. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

No thanks. I'm okay with Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones if it means keeping Mario Williams. I'll take a pass on Mike Wallace. Would rather draft a young and speedy receiver in the draft (late first or second round). I also want to see that young kid Jeff Maehl continue to develop. The guy has a lot of heart and talent.

18. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Please stop with the.....

Thoughts......

Just put a title on your thread. Please I'm begging you. Stop the insanity.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Both Jj & K Dub can be replaced with a cheap FA, late round draft pick, or UDFA player.

I understand wanting experience, I understand the value of knowing the system. With that said, I'd only want to get rid of one of the two. Personally, I say dump KDub.

What we get from Walters, we can & do get out of our TEs. Good hands, short intermediate, across the middle catches. Run blocking. etc. But if you're going to split somebody out wide, get some one who can go deep, or make a play out in space. I've seen two 60+ yard TD plays from Jj in 2011 alone. Not one from KDub. I've seen Jacoby make people miss or flat out run past defenders.... never from KDub.

I want play-makers on the field & Jacoby is more of a play-maker than Walters ever will be.

If you want hands on the field, gotta make that first down..... split Aj & Jj wide, put two TEs on the field & motion Casey to the slot. JJ might not catch the ball, but he will create space for everyone else on the field.

20. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Yeeeah ok Pop,

Thread Police, what a :clown: