Would you draft Stephon Gilmore...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Rey, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

....if he was there at 26?

[​IMG]

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664166

I haven't seen anyone giving him much run...I think Lucky mentioned him a few days ago in another thread, but I really like what I've seen from him. He's a good athlete and an even better football player.

I know we've got Kareem and we drafted Harris last year, but man...Good corners are not easy to come by and I think this guy is going to be a good one.

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I like every about Gilmore except the "fits best in zone" and "might be moved to safety" insights ... I want a pure corner who can man.

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I like Gilmore better as a cover 2 corner. I don't really see the man coverage skills to be more than just an average player in any other scheme.

WolverineFan likes this.
  4. Rey

Rey Guest

I think he has the athleticism to be a man cover corner...

I think two things he has going in his favor are his ball skills, and his size..

So I guess I disagree that his ceiling is average corner outside of a cover 2 scheme...

I don't know about top tier status, but I think he can be a really good #2 or a borderline #1 with the right coaching and the right scheme man or zone...

I agree that he would probably be really good in a scheme that uses mostly zone since that seems to be his strong suit, but I still like his man coverage ability...

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

He is a great athlete. But that doesn't necessarily make him a great man cover corner. Too often he is using his athleticism to recover from a mistake instead of using it to blanket a guy.

I think he is a #1 in a zone scheme. I see him as a perfect fit.

In a man scheme he might pass for a #2, but I see him more as a nickel.

Just my opinion though.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

in my first Texan mock draft I selected Stephon Gilmore (1st) mind you this was about half way into the season & Kareem was still struggling, but as time continued he played better & better making the need to stretch for another first rd. CB unnecessary, IMO. The more I watched Gilmore the more he dissapointed me as well. Just doesn't play @ a consistent level an entire game. very gifted but not the competitor Wade Phillips identifies. I like Jayron Hosley better (2nd). He is a ballhawk & pure cover corner who can play man.

8. Rey

Rey Guest

I understand that and that is why I said "with the right coaching" (which I think we have)....

I understand that man coverage takes a lot of technique, but having the athleticism to do it is a big part of the battle...My whole point in mentioning that was me aknowledging that he could use some refinement in that area...

I think he could immediately come into our defense and challenge for the #2 position.

JMO.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

That's a strange observation because that seems to be one of his strong points...

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

not strange at all if you watched his games. avoids contact end of plays not a finisher, usually standing around when not involved in play but I was hoping to see more. South Carolina as a group under-performed all season. The one player who I must say stood out was Melvin Ingram, he never took plays off, always around the ball. talk about elite talent, Ingram would be in my top 10.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm in agreement with BL. Don't see a CB in draft and Gilmore not for our system. He will go high but Hosely much better as man CB. Gilmore better hitter than Hosely but not in coverage.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I like Gilmore alot, he can press cover. Whoever wrote that piece was wrong.IMHO

I like Josh Robinson in the 2nd even more.

13. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Good stuff, love Hosley.

14. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    To answer the question, no, I wouldn't draft Gilmore #26.

But I would nab Trumaine Johnson there, I think he has 1st round measurables and used it to beat up on smaller schools. He needs pro coaching but he has physical gifts to be an elite press-man corner with the ability to make plays on the ball. He's either a super sized corner or decently sized FS and would be seeing regular minutes from the get go in a secondary that is hiding a lot with JJo.

It's a potential type pick, which is dangerous, will get loudly and roundly questioned, flamed and judged immediately but it's a pick on a guy who could make this secondary as feared as the front 7 is.

15. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

That's a big jump, imo.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Notable that Mayock has moved Stephon Gilmore to No. 2 in his cornerback rankings. Mo Claiborne is 1. Gilmore leapfrogged Dre Kirkpatrick.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

I think ppl are sleeping on Gilmore. I really like his game.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep

He's a top 15 pick. Who will last until the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd.

This will be a test of Ricks we always take BPA thingy.

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

No, I don`t want to draft another CB early in the draft in the near future. We have lots of young talent on the team (KJ, Harris, Carmichael just to name a few). Either we believe in our secondary drafting ability, then one of them should pan out - or we just admit that we don`t have a good eye for drafting CBs and stick to signing them in FA and continue drafting LBs, HBs and TEs ;-).

And after all, I believe there are way more pressing needs on the team, especially after this craze FA. I´d try to get the bpa available of any WR, O-Line, OLB, ILB, NT and keep doing just that until the 4th or 5th round. The only reason to draft another position for me would be, if some amazing talent drops that we have really high expectations in.

19. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Everything I read about Gilmore makes him sound like a solid high 2nd round CB pick that plays best in a zone system. If we took him at #26 it might be a small reach. He lacks the strength to play man press coverage but honestly that strength will come from an NFL level strength and conditioning program so I'm not to worried there. He plays off the receiver and closes well to break up the pass and tackles/hits very well. All of this sounds like even if he didn't work out at CB, he'd be a hell of a FS. He'd be risky at #26 but honestly just about everyone at #26 is risky.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Dont believe those reports, I've seen with my own eyes that he can play press coverage. You're right though he would make a great FS.

I will admit CB is the hardest position for me to evaluate. I thought Peterson would be a stud as a rookie and he was an avg CB at best. Although he did improve alot as the yr wore on.