Would you consider signing Jabar Gafney?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by DocBar, May 1, 2012.

?

Would you consider signing Jabar gafney?

Poll closed May 22, 2012.
  1. Yes. He's an upgrade over current #2 and #3 WR

42.9%
  2. No. Been there, done that. Isn't an upgrade over #2 and #3 WR.

57.1%
  1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

LINK

The Redskins released Jabar Gafney today. Would you consider signing him?

2. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

Nope..

Been there, done that. Kinda of like calling up an old girlfriend you were in a bad relationship with..

TJ

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Too expensive, not an upgrade, and baggage.

4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

He had 900+ yards receiving in this offense last year with the Redskins.

He's an upgrade from a receiving standpoint but I don't see him coming in and automatically being our #2 or #3 because I don't know if he's a willing blocker or not.

I voted 'Yes' because I'd at least consider it. I'd do some research on how he blocked before I pulled the trigger. And I'd probably downgrade him a bit because he's still a headcase. Even after having a 200 yard receiving day with the Broncos, he still got benched for disciplinary reasons (granted, it was McDaniels who benched him.) And then after grabbing 900+ yards for the Redskins, he's told not to show up for their off-season conditioning program... which means he's done something to piss off the Shanny's.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The guy has averaged 62 catches, 850 yards, and 3 TDs over the past 3 seasons.
    And guess what? Thats while averaging only 11 starts a year (not injuries, just not starting)

He averages close to 14 yards per catch. Why would we not want to sign this guy?

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Jabar Gafney or Jacoby Jones?

Gafney in a heartbeat.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Depends on the $$.

I would if the price was right. But, wasn't it the Kubiak regime that let him go to begin with?

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

For a minimum deal, sure I'd bring him into camp. Let him battle it out with the rest of our crew and the best man will make the 53.

9. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

If we signed Gaffney it would mean the end of Jacoby Jones as a Texan for sure. So, I would sign him if the price is right.

10. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

If he can't make a spot for himself in the Redskins WR corps ..... [​IMG]

11. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

They just signed Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan, and they still have Santana Moss on the roster. Gaffney was scheduled to make about 2.65 million this year, so they cut him instead of paying that. A minimum deal is probably what he will be offered around the league, but maybe someone will give him a little over a million. It's worth a phone call.

Personally, I would rather go after Plaxico Burress. He's still out there and would probably take a minimum deal just to play. He did pretty well with Sanchez throwing to him last year, so Schaub would be a big upgrade for him. I think he could do well in our system as a #3 guy.

12. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Kind of. His contract was up after the 2005 season, and they chose not to renew him, but it's not like Kubiak cut him from the roster or anything. The telling thing is that he was signed by the Eagles, and then let go during pre-season - that's when the Patriots picked him up.

Clearly, he's gone on to be a better receiver than he ever was here, and if they are planning on jettisoning Jacoby (which I believe they are), it would be nice to have a WR who's actually played in an NFL game beyond AJ and Walter.

Given the circumstances, and the point in the off-season in which he bacame available, I would imagine there's a pretty good chance he's gonna end up signing for the minimum. I do think he's a better option than the Bryant Johnson's and Derrick Mason's of the world, so if he understands the circumstances, and is willing to take the veteran minimum, I actually kind of like the idea.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Having spoken to some in DC, his Twitter meltdown had a more major effect on the team than made public.

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Gafney could benefit form being in a stable locker room like the Texans have. The 2012 Texans are a far, far cry from the 2005 Texans. I would definitely take him over Jones, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I would love the vet minimum, but I would be happy if he got what Jones is scheduled to make just to be rid of Jones.

15. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I wonder how so? I've seen plenty of guys have short term meltdowns when losing a marriage -- it's tough. I give him a pass on that, personally.

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Gaffney isn't a very persistent blocker....he's not a slot guy either. Not a fit here.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think Gaffney put up some great numbers in New England. He didn't have a QB throwing to him in Washington and still put up decent numbers. He would do good here.

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I voted that I would consider it and I would. A team with the WR situation the Texans have can't afford to not consider any potentially viable path to getting better. Over the course of reading this thread I have considered it and I'm going to pass.

Gaffney is the past. We're mercifully free of every single speck of 2002 draft "dust" and I think we should stay that way. While I think he could probably catch some balls for us I also think we can get that from a lot of WR's. Gaffney isn't crap but like Vinny said, he doesn't fit here. I bet Kubiak knew that before he even set foot in his knew office. That's why they didn't bother to try and keep him despite how barren the cupboard was at the time.

19. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I don't get the logic behind the idea that we sign or draft a WR and that equals Jones being gone.

It's quite a drop from #3 WR and PR to off the roster. I would not assume the FO shares the fan bases bitterness towards Jones.

20. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

Been there, seen it, done it... regrettably bought the Jersey :(