Would Schaub be better than a Qb in 2nd round?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Drew Stanton, Kevin Kolb, Trent Edwards, John Beck, Troy Smith...etc.

i'd take schaub over all of these guys...they'd all have to wait 2 years...scaub has been studying for 3 years already in a wco system and has more upside than any of these qb's...scouts/nfl personal all say he is going to be very good...these rookies have a lot more ?'s. thats what the 2nd rd pick next year was for...less risk than these and immediate results.

i used to think it was a lot but i think it was a great trade.

3. grahamcracker977

grahamcracker977 Rookie

Agreed, we got the best deal available...a qb with three years seasoning who can start immediately...

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Schaub will have 4 NFL training camps under his belt come spring....all in the wco offense. If we draft a QB we have 2 to 3 years to wait to groom him as he learns the nuances of NFL defenses. After this Carr fiasco I much prefer to get on with life in the NFL with a young Vet like Schaub.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Very true

6. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Well the Texans obviously seems to think so. I think Schaub with the knowledge and exeperience he has playing in this type of system will be much better than any 2nd round qb we would've drafted.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

All in a WCO, with a ZBS in place.

8. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I just love the way you guys are throwing away that second eight pick on all of your analysis on the Scaub factor. Lowering the cost. Like little boys who've been caught with the cookies on the counter and the cookie jar lid open and granny just made the door jam, you're tring to shovel the cookies back behind the jar. We got caught and we got caught bad.

You can spin it any which way you want. We just over paid for Chriss Chandler...nothing more. And, you've put him behind an aged bad line. It's not going to hurt this draft. It's realy going to sting in '08. Quinn and Russel will be better QBs three years from now than Schaub. Can't make the same statement
    about the second teird guys. So throw away the top five pick in the second in '08, considering the choices at the 39, yeah you got prety good value there....for three years. You can have your cookies and milk now. Granny just smiled. Or was that the Atlanta front office.

9. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

There is no telling what Quinn and Russell are going to bring to the NFL.

Russell is condisered to have a significant bust factor with what is considered to be a slack attitude and Quinn is considered to not be able to step things up in big games.

There is more than one highly touted QB to fail miserably. Many would say that we just got rid of one ourselves.

I think the time to assess whether the 2008 #2 was thrown away needlessly is not now, possibly not even in 2008 but in a couple of years when we can see how far we have come with Schaub under centre.

We might have the second coming of Chris Chandler, or it could be Steve Young or it could be Ryan Leaf (dread the thought) fact is no one can no for sure, we haven't seen enough of Schaub and we have never seen Schaub in a Texans uniform playing in the Texans scheme.

Schaub was the best option we knew we could get right away and we made a decisive, big-stoned move. I like that kind of front office leadership.

10. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I agree he was the best option for now. He has been in a WCO for the last 6 years counting college. Also he has been under Alex Gibbs whom Kubiak coached with in Denver so the systems are practically identical. Kubes even said the terminology is the same or similar so he comes in with a fairly good knowledge of what we are running, unlike a QB that would be considered in the draft this year.

11. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Were you a Carr Lover or Carr Hater?

Was that second rounder next year going to be Gaffney, Joppru or Ryans?

We did better by getting Schaub, who NFL teams across the board feel is ready to be a starter. The only reason he wasn't is because some owner OVERPAID for Mike Vick.

thunderkyss and Vinny like this.
  12. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Pete is really Dale from King of the Hill .

13. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

Only time will tell. Your crystall ball must be a little clearer than mine. :)

14. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

The question should be the other way around. What second round QB would be better then Schaub?

IMO the bigger gamble is on the ATL front office. A Rookie headcoach who is debating turning over play calling duties to Mike Vick. Yeah i'd need two seconds for that gamble too.

thunderkyss likes this.
  15. Oldbird69

Oldbird69 Rookie

Schaub is going to be a very good QB in your system. I wish we could have given you Vick we had kept Matt.

16. NederlandTexan

NederlandTexan Veteran

Here's some spin, since this was a trade and we all have access to trade value charts, the real question becomes...Is Matt Schaub worth a mid-late first round pick? http://www.thehuddlereport.com/nickelpackage/tradechart.shtml
    Now enlighten us about the studs we have passed over in the '08 draft.

thunderkyss likes this.
  17. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

I'm sure Schaub (today) would be better than a 2nd round QB pick....He has limited NFL experience, so at least he has some aspect of what to expect...I just don't like the fact we gave up next year's 2nd rd pick....for all those that say thats basically all we gave up IF we were to take a QB in this years 2nd rd or even from a production stand point that Schaub will outperform any 2nd rd pick this year, I have a distinct difference....No 2nd rd pick would have ever received the money that Schaub is getting...you can say its on par for a starting QB but thats not the point..we are talking about the the 2nd round picks vs Schaub...I hope the team does better otherwise its gonna stink reallll bad

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think most of us are saying we need to see how Schaub handles the starting job in '07 before we can say next year's 2nd round pick was too much.

If there is no ifs &s or buts about it, if you agree that Schaub should be our starter in '08, would you think we gave up too much to get him??

19. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

schaub was a backup because of the starter in front of him. think more steve young in san francisco than anything else.

20. NederlandTexan

NederlandTexan Veteran

Please do some reading on professional contracts, or read some of the other posts that explain them. We didn't break the bank to sign Schaub.