Worst off-season move so far?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by stevo3883, Dec 5, 2005.

?

Texan's worst off-season move/blunder?

1. Releasing Aaron Glenn

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Releasing Jamie Sharper

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Releasing Steve Foley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Trading 2nd & 3rd RD picks for Phillip Buchanon

55 vote(s)
    37.4%
  5. Trading 2nd 3rd 4th RD picks to draft Jason Babin 27th overall

27 vote(s)
    18.4%
  6. Using 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. Giving Marcus Coleman a contract extension

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Signing Morlon Greenwood to a huge contract

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. Passing on Derrick Johnson in the draft

16 vote(s)
    10.9%
  10. *predicts future* not drafting Reggie Bush

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

I'm leaning towards the Buchanon trade. terrible, just terrible. it makes no sense. The worst defense in the league, trying desperatly to get rid of this guy... doesnt that give you some clues on his play?

maybe this off-season, we should pick up ahmad carroll, I hear he has major upside! we can cut d-rob as he is too old and his contract isnt cap friendly (we need a nice big 10+million cap buffer zone, incase we want to release AJ to make room for Bradford's new 7 yr $55million contract thats in the works)

Pbuc on 1 guy, Carroll on the other. 2 shut down corners... I would be in heaven

2. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

In attempt to turn this back into a more serious thread, I'd rate the Babin move as the worst. I can't say for sure yet that drafting Babin at all was a mistake, but trading off 3 (or 4?) picks to get him when he almost for sure would have been there for our next pick was horrible. We essentially gave the Titans four picks for us to gain nothing, and we had to pay Babin a little more as a first round pick than we would have after taking him in the second round.

3. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I'd say releasing Glenn was the worst, we can all see that he was the leader in the secondary. And now we know that P-Buc doesn't have his head in the game.

4. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

All of these deals have been pretty rotten, and I was really hoping for DJ last year. Greenwood did get a very small signing bonus ($800k I think) though so we could cut him with little or no adverse effect ($600k cap hit next year) if we decided to do so.

5. Bullfan

Bullfan Rookie

How about declaring Wand unathletic and signing Victor Riley to replace him?

The O-line has been playing s-o-o much better this season with out Wand:sarcasm

6. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

I voted for the Babin pick. Giving up that many picks in such a deep class didn't seem like a good idea, even in the moments immidiately after it happened. I felt at the time we could have gotten a TE and an OLB capable of starting - or at least producing and contributing. It's an even worse move now since Babin hasn't done squat and Joppru's career as a football player isn't looking too bright.

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Boselli and Carr could be nominees as well.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Greenwood got a $7 mil signing bonus. He isn't going anywhere for a couple more years at least.

9. Honch Delgado

Honch Delgado Veteran

Gotta go with Babin with Buchanan a close 2nd. Babin was supposed to be the solution to our inept pass rush but to give up 3 picks to get him, he needs to put up big numbers and plays to justify it.

10. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I must have been misinformed then. I was surprised that a $22 million salary would only have a $800k signing bonus.

11. wow, I look at all these moves listed and can't fathom Casserly being back here next year with so many bad picks on his watch.

12. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

I went with the Buchanon move. He was a known problem that hadn't lived up to his talent. We give up 2 first day picks...brilliant. That said, I'd bet that Hoke had more than a little influence on that decision.

A minor correction: We didn't release Foley. He was a FA that decided to move on like Posey. Still sucks that our staff couldn't see what he could do when not in a Fangio D.

13. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

We could have gotten 3 solid players (possibly 2 starters TE and O-line with smart picks), but we got a project player who doesn't even start.

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

And the worst part is we could have gotten that project player with our second round pick anyways without having to trade anything off.

15. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Don't think I would've taken him there either. Would rather have had Ben Troupe there.

16. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

only room for 10 options. I could go all day with things that didnt pan out.

taking Gaffney 33rd overall
    signing Todd Wade big contract
    Drafting Carr is iffy... it was either him or harrington
    taking bennie joppru over jason witten
    signing riley
    keeping bradford with guys like burress & muhammed out there

the bad moves easily outweight the good ones

17. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

PBuc because he really can't play and Babin can play, just doesn't seem to be worth the number of picks.

18. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

I voted for the Sharper release as the biggest screwup due to the lack of leadership now on the squad. But, all the options here qualify as bonehead moves, you can pretty much take you pick.

Nice list of screwups by the front office. Given this list, JJ may be right, in the fact that Charlie is more to blame the Capers. But, personally I would like to see both men go.

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I'm hoping that a new coaching staff will cause some of these people to play better, but I still wish Casserly would take a hike. I voted for the Buchannon deal because he's SUCH A SERIOUS BUST, but those deals are all terrible.

20. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

I went with the DJ pass, since that would have in whole or in part mitigated two of your other blunders - releasing Sharper and signing Greenwood. In fact, at the time, I took the Sharper move as a telegraph from Cass that DJ or Thomas Davis were locks as our draft choice.

I did consider the Glenn pretty seriously, because that was a double screw up as well. However, our front 7 were already kind of a joke before the offseason.