Worse case selection left.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by mussop, Apr 7, 2008.

1. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Who do we take if all these players go in the top 17 & we cant find a trade down partner? (and its very possible )

1. Darren McFadden
    2. Chris Long
    3. Glenn Dorsey
    4. Jake Long
    5. Vernon Gholston
    6. Matt Ryan
    7. Sedric Ellis
    8. Ryan Clady
    9. Keith Rivers
    10. D. Rodgers-Cromartie
    11. Rashard Mendenhall
    12. Chris Williams
    13. Leodis McKelvin
    14. Derrick Harvey
    15. Branden Albert
    16. Mike Jenkins
    17. Jonathan Stewart

The top players @ each position left are

SECONDARY
    Aqib Talib
    Antoine Cason
    Kenny Phillips
    Justin King
    Tracy Porter
    Branden Flowers
    Charles Godfrey
    Patrick Lee

OL
    Jeff Otah
    Gosder Cherilus
    Sam Baker
    Carl Nicks
    Anthony Collins
    Oneil Cousins

DE
    Phillip Merling
    Calais Campbell
    Quentin Groves
    Lawrence Jackson

LB
    Jerod Mayo
    Dan Connor
    Xavier Adibi
    Erin Henderson

WR
    James Hardy
    DeSean Jackson
    Devin Thomas
    Limas Sweed

DT
    Kentwan Balmer
    Trevor Laws

RB
    Felix Jones
    Jamaal Charles
    Ray Rice
    Matt Forte

Are any of these players worthy of 18 and if so do any fit our team? IYO who would be youre BPA?

2. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...th-the-top-prize??CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=23

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7971332

3. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Trade back.

Aqib Talib : after his position work outs...I'd loose all Respect for Smithiack if this guy is not off their board.....completely. If they take this guy, Hoak deserves 10% of what ever the contract is worth for just having to fool with him.

4. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

merling i suppose or reach for somebody like king/calais etc although that is a bad scenario whoever we take

5. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

btw reggie smith might be a possibility that isnt on your list

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I'm also hoping some team looks @ Balmer earlier than #18, Otah goes to Detroit #15, Arizona takes hometown product Cason & Merling could go #18 to Minnesota. that would free up three of those guys, you've speculated would be gone. I'll just submit the last three names for arguements sake, Branden Albert, Mike Jenkins, & Jonathan Stewart. to comply with the question its Otah who would be the highest rated player, fills need & Gibbs re-retires again (2-3 years) leaving the Texans w/franchise LT, totaly rebuilt OL, productive running & passing game :cool:

7. beerlover

McClain is just saying on 610 Otah is a RT. that he doesn't have the speed or smarts to play Gibbs system. thats a bunch of BS. he scored 2nd highest of linemen on Wonderlick (behind Williams) for those who care a rats tail about that, he is very athletic for his size much more so than Spencer & he did alright until his injury. he could easily drop 20-30 lbs play around 317-20, the Left Tackle is the one positin even in the ZBS where you can plug in a big ugly, the important thing is they play with intensisty, meaness & DE's either give up or know their in for a long, long day at the office.

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Agreed.
    Otah is one of those OLineman with a very extensive background in roundball, always a good indicator for a players athleticism. And speaking of players being in for a very long day, top-rated DE Chris Long had 2 very long days
    against Otah: each time he faced Otah in the last 2 straight years the big Pitt tackle handled him nicely in their matchups.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The important thing to remember regarding McClain is that he's a parrot. He's just repeating what he's heard (squak). Is it the Texans giving him this information? Who's to say? I know he's buddy-buddy with Titans scout C.O. Brocato (another Baylor Bear). He gets a lot of stuff from him, and probably other contacts around the league.

10. beerlover

came very close to calling in :phone:

does he even study game film? how much national College Football does he watch? give me some specific reasons, please just don't blather untruths & deal in misconceptions something your supposed to be an expert in :aggressive:

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I agree. He was also saying the other day that if a rookie or Taylor did well in the backfield then we might not keep Green and Brown....or keep one and cut the other. So I'm not sure where he gets his info.

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I'm really not trying to be sarcastic here when I say I think McClain responds to questions, say from callers, by reading directly off prepared notes, i.e. a
    "cheat sheet". His answers are so canned, not at all impromptu as you'd expect, certainly atleast hope for from someone who has his own radio show.
    And his writing skills are really limited. Some times his Chron articles read downright juvenile.
    Now JM can still have some genuinely entertaining moments when telling some storys about the old times, like back in the day of the 70s & 80s when he's talking about individual Oiler players and telling tales on them. Sometimes
    he can come up with some real gems. He has after all been around quite awhile, seen a lot. But it would seem that that memory modulates daily -
    sometimes its tuned in, other days not so much.

13. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

I would not be too upset with Talib, Otah, Campbell, Cason or Groves. I don't know anything about Merling, but maybe him, too...

14. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

In this particular scenario I would hope we take Otah.

15. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

Q. Groves.

Merling isn't the pass rush we need. I like Campbell but at 18? I don't know.

16. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

would gibbs take otah a couple years after this.. some similiarities

"Unlike McDougle, Foster seems to have more passion for the game, but needs to stay more consistent with his intensity.

Technically, Foster is very good is all parts of the game and, although, he looks a little top-heavy, he's strong in the running attack. He's got pretty good footwork and can handle an outside pass rush, but is vulnerable to inside counter moves. Foster can also have trouble from time to time with a good bull-rush move"

http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/07/scouting_report_george_foster.html

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

1st Otah 2nd (from Sage) Forte 3rd Charles Godfrey 4th Tyvon Branch CB/FS/KR big guy with blazing speed 5th Best OLB available

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Would you quit bashing the guy already? Your opinion in terms of the draft has been shot to hell this offseason. We get it, you don't like Talib. We get it, you have nothing statistical to back it up. We get it, you don't quite get punctuation. We get it, you don't.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

But he does make good moon shine. Smiley face goes here.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm sure some team

dolphins, ravens, bears, falcons, vikings ETC.

Would make a deal for Ryan.

This would be an ideal situation for us.