Work Ethic

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Goldeagle, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

What do you think the work ethic is like on this team?

You here so much about the greats showing up early, watching video, leaving late and all that.

Im not saying guys have to do that if they are putting in a full day, but I wonder what the work ethic of this team is?

I have heard they are the typicl 9-5, come in, work hard, but not early and no one stays late. I dont know if that is true, but I am curious.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I know that we have talked about Carr not putting in any extra time over at HPF a few times. Keith mentions it at the end of this thread and has brought it up a few times. I'd say Carr is a hard worker otherwise though. No denying that.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/f...&postid=51969&highlight=carr family#post51969

3. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

Robaire Smith defines this thread.

4. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

If Carr (or any other player for that matter) is "only" doing the 9-5 thing I'm sure it's not due to lack of interest or dedication. I'm guessing that once you're going through the season there's only so much muscle you can build up, and most of "practise" will be preparing for the next game and trying to get rid of injuries, bruises and such. Regardless of how one sees Carr as a QB, I'm sure that no one doubt that he's one tough kid. So many sacks, and he's still not in an institution drooling all over himself. At least the Carr-haters should appreciate his durability :)

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

This is one of those total conjecture things with few exceptions because we have very little idea what the players are doing in their "free" time. One of the things that has made Ray Lewis and Ed Reed great is their film study--but they do it at home. But for reporters doing stories on them you would think they are 9-5 guys. It would be nice if the Chronicle reporters would do more than just report departure times and actually go investigate the weekly routines for some of the players.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I believe in a strong and balanced work ethic. For me or any others to speculate on the work ethic of this team is a shot in the dark. Only those guys on the team know how each player stacks up. The work ethic variable is up to the front office in taking a player and then up to the coach to meld him into a contributing player. If we got a player with bad work ethic then it is the fault of the entire organization.

7. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

The players are not only at work from 9-5. They come in at 6:30am to start workouts and treatment while most people are still in bed sleeping. Many days the players are in until around 5. Yes they have Tuesdays off but every player in the league does, but they also come in for a while on Saturdays and obviously play on Sundays, so Tuesday is their one day of the week to have off.

8. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Wasn't there someone from Jax that stated the Texans receivers were the laziest he'd ever seen?

Who could blame these guys for being lazy or quitting? They know they're in a system that can only yield unsuccessful results. Their job is really just like anyone else's. It reminds me of a scene from Office Space...

David Carr: You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob McNair: Don't... don't care?

Big Dave: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my *** off and
    the team gets a few more wins, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's another thing, I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob McNair: Eight?

Trent Dilfer II: Eight, Bob. So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Break out the Oh face.

10. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Carr also *****ed at the JAX in general, does not make it true. IMO it's just alot of talk talk...

11. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

You have to take what you see in the Chronicle with a grain of salt. The reporters in the sports section are no more immune to spin (their own and from their sources) then those in the political section. They make enough mistakes in reporting basic, easy to check facts (i.e. last weeks article stating that all players in the NFL get Monday off (Tuesday is the actual day)), that anything in-depth should be read with a critical eye.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Richard Justice and/or John McClain, on SR610, has also reported that Carr spends a great deal of time at home studying film.

I think the whole team works hard, but at times, I'm not sure they have direction.

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

All that matters in the NFL at the end of the day is scoreboard.

And if records are any indication of an overall "work ethic", then our 1-7 record clearly indicates that something is not quite right in this area.

I'm not saying that individual players don't have great work ethics (that would fall under speculation)...but, as a TEAM, coming out so unorganized and quite pathetic in the first 6 games, it seems obvious that they are not a cohesive unit, which reflects on the state of practice and leadership within the organization, IMO.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I 110% concur with this statement.

15. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:texflag: In the 70's and 80's , Al Davis said he preferred single players because they had no responsibility's except football .
    Football players have to stay late and watch film for six months and for Carr's money I don't believe that would be asking to much .

16. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

These days I'd disagree with that, single players have so much more trouble they can and tend to get into with their spare time rather than having family and football to occupy your time.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Or the single guys still have to go to this autograph session, this fashion show, Gallery Furniture to redecorate a room in their house, go to this or that radio show, go play flag football with the boys and girls club, be taken to school, go on shopping sprees that a fan won.

Yes I know, alot of teams do that. My point is it doesn't make a difference.

18. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Would Joe Namath had been Broadway Joe with a wife and 3 kids ? Tom Brady is the new Broadway Joe ... off the field anyhow . Point is its not bad to have a little maverick in your players .

19. mean mark8

mean mark8 Veteran

It has been well-noted that Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison stay late after every practice and arrive early before every game to run the "tree," a series of patterns from the same spot. Both players are starters and both are ranked among the elite in production as a tandem. Extra work pays off and it is not just for the second tier players who want to make it to the first tier.

I also read an article in ESPN magazine about Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson driving to a game to watch Manning and Harrison play. They talked the entire several hundred mile trip and on their way home made the determination that they wanted to be just like the Colts' duo. Look at those two now. Football is a team sport and there are somethings you just can't get accomplished by yourself. Getting the timing down with a receiver or two is definitely one thing you can't do alone.

20. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

For the second stringers there are a couple of reasons to put in extra work. One, because you are a professional and that's what you do. Two, to impress the coaches.

If you do the second you hope to get called on when opportunities arise, get more playing time, advance your career, etc.

However, this week we see what the Texans coaches do. There is an opening on the line, and it looks like they are going to insert the player who, judging by his conditioning and inability to make weight, is arguably one of the "least hard workers" on the team.

A lot of people think Weary is too bad to play, but what has Riley showed us this year? This is an opportunity to get a bench player extended time to evaluate what he has, but instead we insert a proven non-performer into a position he hasn't played before. What message does that send about hard work?

The coaches here kill the players' spirit and drive in a variety of ways - this is just another example.