Wong Time To Return?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 11, 2006.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Here's a name that hasn't surfaced for a while. If he does get back for TC (big if, even though he "hopes" to return then) or for that matter at all, what position will he fill? Wong could be big positive in the locker room, but all of this is mute if he cannot come back and come back strong.:

Wong will try to come back from knee injury

10:21 AM PDT on Tuesday, July 11, 2006
    By kgw.com and AP Staff

EUGENE, Ore. -- Eugene native Kailee Wong has had a long, productive career in the NFL.
    The former North Eugene High school star has played defense for the Minnesota Vikings and the Houston Texans.
    But last season against Seattle, Wong seriously injured his knee. Now, he's trying to come back from the injury, after eight months and two surgeries.
    He told the Eugene Register-Guard that he hopes to return for active duty when the NFL training camps begin later this month.
    But Houston has a new coaching staff, and there are no guarantees for Wong.
    Wong has 639 career tackles, six interceptions and 21 passes defended in his NFL career.

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I thought he would be a June 1st casualty and since he made that date I strongly feel we will keep him.

3. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

You should know more than anyone about his prognosis. A patella tendon tear and repair in mid-October '05 followed by several weeks of immobilization and then the ACL repair in January, which typically is 9 months minimum to recover if you're superman....

Hope is the operative word here. I like Kailee but I don't hold out too much of it for him, at least in the early part of the season if they decide they want to carry his cap number at all.

4. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I didnt realize the severity of the injury until recently. I think we will definantely keep him, when he's in shape is a smart player.

5. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I think this is fair. Stuff I have heard is that he is still limping a little but is muscled up pretty good. (What happens when you have time to lift but can't do a lot of cardio). He is well liked in the locker room and gets along with a lot of different groups of players.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Isn't Wong more expensive cap wise to cut this year than to keep?--about $3.1 mil to keep for the year and $4+ to cut?

7. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

They can split it over two years.

Haven't seen the limp. I've seen a wrap and some llight jogging like nothing was wrong. But it's those multi-directional plants and cuts that are the beech.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

This is my understanding. But I cannot recall how the bonus was pushed out in 2008 and 2009.

9. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Ya, especially at Linebacker.

Also, just hitting people, be it blockers or running backs, takes alot out on the knee. Considering you are supposed to drive through the people you tackle.

10. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

It counts 4 more years at $1.2 per.

They can take his $3 point whatever roster hit this year or cut him and take about a $2.4 dead hit this year and another $2.4 next year.

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Interesting lanquage there TC. When you say "different groups of players",
    I dunno....but somehow I don't think you mean groups of players like by position (WRs,OLs,TEs, etc.) or a group of starters vs a group of reserves.

12. NoBullTexan

NoBullTexan Veteran

I think Kailee goes on IR for the year. Next year? Who knows.

13. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Player/Coach

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I think he'll stay, but either way since he has been injured I don't think they can release him. Anyone have a better understanding of the rules on cutting injured players?

15. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

I can't claim to be very knowledgable about IR either. If Wong is put on IR, what are the rules to return to the active roster?

Even if he can't play the 1'st half of the season, I would really like to see him on the sidelines next to DeMeco and some of the other rookies offering advice. IMHO he has always seemed like a smart and classy guy, I think he does have a lot of value for other reasons than smacking people around on the field.

16. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

Quick question? Is D. Ryans 6 "3" 236 like it states on the roster or is he more like 6 "1" 236 like it said on his Combine measurements?

17. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Most likely the PUP list for Wong.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

A player can be placed on the waiver/injury list. If a team picks him off waivers they have him and the original team is carries its normal cap ramifications for a waiver. If the player is not claimed, the team and the player have 5 days to reach an injury settlement (not sure how this affects the cap). If no settlement is reached the player goes on the original team's injured reserve list and misses the entire season (there is no return from the IR list as opposed to the PUP list). That's the best I can recall.

DeMeco is 6'1"--the Texans have a typo.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think this is Highly Likely .... But if Wong is to play for this team again , its probably as a MLB . His best seasons in Minnesota were at that position .:twocents:

20. real

real Guest

I don't think that he will have the agility or quickness he would need to play outside linebacker...I think he will definitely be playing middle...And i think he will definitely be back this season...This is 2006...almost 2007....Medical technology has come so far and now days players bounce back from injury almost to there full form...Look at McGahee and how vicious his injury was...or even look at alstott with his neck injury...a few years ago, injuries that severe would have ended players careers...