Wonderlick Testing

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by beerlover, Jan 22, 2006.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

OK here we go next stop after the Senior Bowl is the combine and besides their 40 times, shuttles, interviewing and weightlifting there is a little thing called the Wonderlick test. The WPT measures a player's cognitive and reasoning ability, helping teams determine if a possible draft pick has the skills to follow directions and react to what's going on around him - all skills that are critical on the field. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1312628/posts The first use of the WPT in the NFL was by Tom Landry of the Dallas Cowboys in the early 70s, who took a scientific approach to finding players. He believed that players who could use their minds where it counted had a strategic advantage over the other teams. The test has been used every year at the combine ever since. the focus of this article is the QB position. I cannot wait to see the scores of Vince Young vs. Matt Leinart :) just for refrenece David Carr scored a 24 while Drew Henson scored a 42 maybe a reason why the Texans where able to get a 3rd rd. draft pick for him from the Cowboys who value this measureable. Tom Brady 33 Eli Manning 39:spy:

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'll bet both score higher than Dan Marino's 14. Which goes to show this test is worthless in judging a player's football ability. What is does show is how often the guys came to class and didn't fall asleep. Marino seems like a guy who would doze thru anything non-football related.

3. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Its not a academic test, its a strange combination of questions that try to measure how a player thinks under stress. This is not an IQ test.

4. beerlover

worthless hardley just how many Superbowls did Dan Marino win exactly? the fact he did not see the importance of studying did not exactly confirm his football ability to the Scouts (drafted 27th but was the 6th QB selected). Also as long as your including legends I never thought that Brett Farve was very smart (22) just competitive with great arm strength, always forcing the ball into tight coverage, taking multiple shots to the head and then not knowing when its time to retire. As oppossed to a Troy Aikmen (29) or Steve Young (33) who knew when it was time to hang em up :rolleyes:

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Marino not winning a Super Bowl wasn't because he didn't fair well in his Wonder-lick (wonderlic) test. Lucky knows what this test is RDR....we have talked about it every year for half a decade or so around here in great detail....with Lucky sharing his views on this test in detail...and I somewhat agree with his thoughts but don't totally discount the test relevance.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Just for reference the average score on this test is 21. Over time the NFL players as a group have scored pretty close to this average at 19.

While not a pure "academic" test, those who are more scholastic in nature generally are more comfortable with taking tests and understand how to take test thus giving them some advantage.

7. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Maybe I can shed a little light on this issue. The Wonderlic is an intelligence test that was devised in order to assess aptitude for learning a job and adapting to solve problems for employees in a wide range of occupations. It is a test that some organizations give to prospective employees upon hiring. The problem is that while the test can be given by anyone not everyone can INTREPRET the results. Think about this, if I told you what I scored on a mock Wonderlic, what would you conclude from that? Would you be able to conclude anything of substance? I would say no becuase yall have not learned how to intrpret the scores properly. So, while yall can sit and compare scores, let me ask you, are you familair with the test's standard deviation? If not, how do you asses scores? How do yopu know one score in reference to another without the STD?

I am linking to a Wonderlic.

Each correct answer here is worth 1 point, there is no penalty for guessing or getting incorrect answers. Highest score possibly on this is 16, 50 on wonderlic, so create a ratio and figure out the what your score would be on the wonderlic. Then post it in response if you are so daring. Set your timer to 4 minutes.

Ready!

Are you sure?

Ok. scroll down and ENJLOY!

In a little bit, I will post my score from last year when I took it, both in raw score and converted Wonderlic score.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

8. beerlover

As much as I respect your opinions I'll have to go with Tom Landry on this one :homer:

9. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

I scored in the high 40s, and I'm a terrible QB.

:jk:

10. beerlover

this is certainly a valid point. measures preperation and proclivity to study & pay attention to detail thats about it. wheather that translates to the football field or the workforce in general is only a supposition :)

11. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

now thats a challenge!! Although I wont be taking the test...I like the perspective given and agree...what is the standard and what EXACTLY are you testing for....if the highest scores were best then why dont we have more Legendary qb's from....say Harvard....where atleast two that I know of have scored perfect scores...what has come of their career and numbers....:stirpot:

12. beerlover

you gotta be good at something :hmmm: maybe bean counting :money:

I only used four minutes & did not answear two questions and scored 12/15 or 36. makes me think alot of these guys don't even try. scores less than 15 would really concern me if they were not physically blessed or could jump over tall buildings with a single leap like Vince Young or Reggie Bush-

13. cap1

cap1 All Pro

I got 13 out of 15, I would have gotten 14, but I messed up my algerbra in my head. I would have gout # 11 right if I would have written it down. oh well.

14. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

I see Carr is 3rd. on the Texans behind Ragone and Banks. If you believe in all this maybe we should sign Jesse "The Bachelor" Palmer.

15. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

P-buc aced it!

and by aced, I mean he got around a 7

16. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

I got 11......but down around number 12 my attention span ran out. :muscles:

17. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

yeah, i got 11, but i had music playing, i was watching the broncos/steelers and champ bailey getting burned, and was talking to my mom....

18. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

When I took this test last year I scored a 14 That would translate to a 44 on the 50 point wonderlic.

19. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Sign me! I got a 44 on it!

20. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I think the wunderlic test is helpful in determing if a player can read and comprehend an NFL playbook. It is also helpful to teams in setting their draft board. You probably don't want to take someone in the 1st RD with a GTD multi-million dollar payday who scored a 7 on the wunderlic test ala Atlanta Falcons and Aundrey Bruce. While Marino was taken in the 1st RD (27th) he was the 6th QB taken and the 27th pick in 83 was not a hugh GTD contract and his score was just below average.