Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WolverineFan Post-Season Mock Draft

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
In this mock I use our early picks to address issues on offense and our later picks to address depth issues on defense. This offense needs upgrades and that's why I use our impact picks (rounds 1-3) on that side of the ball. However, if we want our defense to maintain it's elite status then we must make sure and keep it well stocked.

1) Patrick Mahomes - QB, Texas Tech (6-2, 230)

8813388.jpg

- Let's not beat around the bush. QB play is a huge issue and has been the one thing that has held us back from taking the next step as a franchise. It needs to be addressed. Personally, I'm not a fan of this QB class. The top guys all have major warts or are total projects, but I'm still taking a shot. You can't hit a home run if you don't swing the bat. Physically, Mahomes is a tremendous prospect. He has the arm, the frame, and elite mobility. The issues are on the development side. He's a total product of spread offenses in high school and college and has zero experience running a pro offense. He's never taken snaps under center or learned timing on drop steps. We don't know definitively if he can translate his skills into an offense that isn't built off the one-read or run principle. Short story...he's a project. High potential, dynamic, etc. but still a project. If this were the move, you're still looking at a Savage/Osweiler battle going into training camp with Mahomes getting the training wheels taken off at some point during the season.

2) Roderick Johnson - OT, Florida State (6-6, 310)

B9318387195Z.1_20150808144303_000_GC3BIQHCA.1-0.jpg

- Johnson is a bit of an enigma. He sandwiches stellar play with occasional gaffes. He's a very good run blocker, but is inconsistent in pass protection. He has great length and power but, despite his plus athleticism, he can struggle with speed on the edge as he tends to get sloppy with his footwork and hand placement. He will have some growing pains adjusting to the speed at the pro level, but I do see him as an immediate upgrade over Newton/Clark. I think he's a RT immediately with the potential to develop as a LT as his technical issues get worked out. Very similar to Alabama OT Cam Robinson, just not as refined and technically sound.

3) Elijah Hood - RB, North Carolina (6-0, 225)

6073579361-e1482442924834.jpg

- It's time to stop messing around. If we're going to be a power running team then it's time to acquire a power runner. Blue and Grimes are both decent runners between the tackles but with this O-Line we need more than decent. Hood is a cannon ball coming downhill who will blow through arm tackles and can hit the extra gear once he finds space at the second level. He has very impressive open field speed for a power runner. In 3 years at UNC, he ran for 2,580 yards (6.0 ypc) and 29 TD's despite playing in a 3-man platoon and only starting two seasons. The best thing about Hood (besides the talent) is the lack of tread on his tires. He comes in with just over 400 career carries while other juniors like Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook are coming in with 600+.

4) Tarell Basham - EDGE, Ohio (6-4, 260)

ohiou-fb-basham-art-guatv47p-1tarell-basham1-jpg.jpg

- I really like our pass rush, but there are injury concerns with both Watt and Clowney and not much depth behind Mercilus. Not to mention John Simon is going to be a Free Agent. We need to make sure we are still stocked with pass rushers because that has been the driving force behind this defense reaching elite status. Basham is an impact player off the edge who collected 38.5 tackles for loss and 27 sacks over his college career. He lacks elite athleticism but is a fierce pass rusher and is solid against the run. Kind of a poor man's Khalil Mack.

5) Steven Taylor - LB, Houston (6-1, 225)

9640038-steven-taylor-ncaa-football-central-florida-houston-850x560.jpg

- As the Divisional game against New England highlighted, we really need a LB who can cover and play in space. Taylor is a sideline-to-sideline missile that just makes plays. Whether those plays are in coverage, on the edge, or at the line of scrimmage it doesn't matter. He just finds the ball. Granted, he's not big enough to be a three-down player in our defense, but he would be extremely useful in Nickel packages and on special teams. I advocated for Jatavis Brown last year as a Space-Backer and I'm doing the same with Taylor this year. We need a LB who can make plays in the open field.

6) Treyvon Hester - DL, Toledo (6-3, 295)

SPT-utfb29p-4.jpg

- Hester is a gap-shooting DT much like Christian Covington. As a 4-year starter in college, he recorded 32 tackles for loss and 13 sacks. He's also proven the ability to hold up to double teams, which is obviously important in a 3-man front. With Vince Wilfork and Antonio Smith likely gone there will be a need up front for depth. Much like Covington, I think Hester is a mid-round talent who will fall a bit after missing a large portion of the pre-draft process due to post-season surgery. However, that's not a concern for me. The talent is obvious on film.

7) Dante Barnett - SS, Kansas State (6-1, 195)

- Barnett had a stellar first 3 years before a shoulder injury ended his senior season in the opening game. However, he got a medical redshirt and came back for a 5th year. He showed some ball-hawk ability before the injury but had some struggles in coverage this year. That, combined with his slight build, has led to a lack of hype for a guy who was considered a mid-round prospect 2 years ago. With that said, I love the guy. He's very aggressive in run support and is a great open field tackler. Very scrappy when matched up with TE's in coverage. The kid is just a warrior. Despite not quite regaining his previous form this year, he shared the team Defensive MVP award with All-American Jordan Willis because of his outstanding leadership. He may not check all the boxes but no 7th round pick ever does. What he does provide is intangibles and you can't teach that. If he were to continue to knock the rust off and regain his pre-injury form he would be an absolute steal.

Last edited:
I'm not huge on Mahomes but I understand taking a shot. He looks the part but he's too off-schedule for me. Also slow to read coverage and make decisions unless his man is wide open. Could be developed, just not worth risking a 1st for me.

Not huge on Johnson either. Too sloppy. Athletic potential is sky high though. At the very least, he's worth the risk here with his ceiling.

Love Hood but he's returning to school, no?

Love all the defensive guys, especially Taylor. They all fit the defensive system and they would all plug holes.

I would probably want to take a chance on Chad Kelly in RD 4 or 5 and my RB of choice Khalid Abdullah , James Madison in Rds 3 or 4. That said I like this draft, I don't know how Mahomes will turn out but would bet he will be better than any QB now on the Texans roster. Pretty sure that this draft will be better than any O'Brien/Smith draft come April.

I would probably want to take a chance on Chad Kelly in RD 4 or 5 and my RB of choice Khalid Abdullah , James Madison in Rds 3 or 4. That said I like this draft, I don't know how Mahomes will turn out but would bet he will be better than any QB now on the Texans roster. Pretty sure that this draft will be better than any O'Brien/Smith draft come April.

Is that the Cal running back who torched Texas early in the season? Name rings a bell

Love the first 5 picks.

Don't know too much about the last 2 picks.

I would probably take OL in rds 1-2 and Kelly in rd 3. He will take less time to develop.

Love the Hood pick and think he will fall to Rd. 4 due to the depth in this RB class. Do you like Hood more than Kumara?

Well thought out.

Great job

Last edited:
I like it overall.

What I would change:

I'd take more offensive linemen. It's just a numbers and depth issue, really. We need someone who can start at RT at some point this season, even if it's at the end of 2017. We need a backup guard, and that's if we re-sign Aboushi. If we don't re-sign Aboushi, we need a starter at RG. Again, someone who could potentially start at the end of 2017.

I like all the positions taken, except edge. I would re-sign Simon, even if he's $4M per year, and that would be our backup OLB. He's not a great pass rusher, but he's all effort and he's well rounded for a backup/package player.

Skip the edge player and take a guard or even another tackle to backup Brown. Or a corner, we'll need to add depth at corner even if we keep Joseph. Joseph has maybe one year left with us. Johnson and Jackson are our starting duo going forward, but we'll need a nickel back.

Everything depends on FA. I know that's kind of a bleh thing to say here this early when people are attempting mocks, but we've got a lot of cut/keep decisions to make and we really need to add a bonifide starter at RT/LT/S/Nickel CB. It'd be nice to get atleast one of those via FA.

Last edited:
Great work as usual.

Not sure yet which QB will shine, other than Watson. You know better than me they're usually 3 or 4 any given year who can contribute.

OT is a must.

Like RB until you find a franchise type (Foster) you keep bringing them in.

Really intrigued taking two LB's middle round. That could really solidify positions for years & ensure Texans don't drop off post Cushing.

Like positions of last two picks as well, nice under the radar prospects too.

Last edited:
I'm not huge on Mahomes but I understand taking a shot. He looks the part but he's too off-schedule for me. Also slow to read coverage and make decisions unless his man is wide open. Could be developed, just not worth risking a 1st for me.

Not huge on Johnson either. Too sloppy. Athletic potential is sky high though. At the very least, he's worth the risk here with his ceiling.

Love Hood but he's returning to school, no?

Love all the defensive guys, especially Taylor. They all fit the defensive system and they would all plug holes.

I'm not a huge fan of Mahomes in the 1st either but the top 3 will all be gone. Gotta take a shot at some point.

Agreed that Johnson definitely needs refinement. He'd be a 1st rounder otherwise.

Yes Hood is coming out. Probably could have gone back and been a 2nd rounder next year but I'll never blame a RB for coming out.

Kelly might have the best collection of tools in this class but he's not even on my board to be honest. Wouldn't touch him. Zero intangibles and a horrible attitude.

Others can look past that and that's fine. He's definitely talented.

Love the first 5 picks.

Don't know too much about the last 2 picks.

I would probably take OL in rds 1-2 and Kelly in rd 3. He will take less time to develop.

Love the Hood pick and think he will fall to Rd. 4 due to the depth in this RB class. Do you like Hood more than Kumara?

Well thought out.

Great job

I like Hood more than Kamara in terms of a downhill power running game. This staff hasn't shown a willingness to hit the edge in the running game so under those metrics I like Hood more. Big fan of Kamara though.

My thought on it was Nick Martin is coming off IR next year. He or Mancz could fight Allen for that job.

& Aboushi. Aboushi played well, imo, considering he never prepared as the starter & never knew where he was going to play.

I'm not saying he's a lock, but should definitely be in the mix.

Kelly might have the best collection of tools in this class but he's not even on my board to be honest. Wouldn't touch him. Zero intangibles and a horrible attitude.

Others can look past that and that's fine. He's definitely talented.
He's definitely injured too. He's a 2018 project at best. Texans are in a position where it might be in their best interest to draft 2 QBs.

Last edited:
Martin was huge loss but give Mancz credit he battled best he could. Does anyone know his pro football focus grade?

Martin was huge loss but give Mancz credit he battled best he could. Does anyone know his pro football focus grade?

I think he was 2nd to Brown in OL grades .

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/

18. Houston Texans (11)
Top overall grade: LT Duane Brown, 85.7 (No. 17)

Top pass-blocking grade: C Greg Mancz, 87.2 (tied for No. 3)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Duane Brown, 84.8 (No. 7)

We have reached the point in the list where every remaining O-line is, at best, severely flawed. The Houston Texans’ unit saw a mix of excellent performances and pretty terrible ones in the regular season. LT Duane Brown began to creep back towards his best play this season, allowing only one sack all year and run blocked well, with the league’s seventh-best grade in that area, at 84.6. Greg Mancz—a player that dominated PFF’s grades in college—looked like a solid find for the team at center in his second season after being an undrafted free agent in 2015. Mancz allowed one sack and 18 total QB pressures across 671 pass-blocking snaps in the regular season, and was perfect in his Wild Card outing against the Raiders last week. Chris Clark, however, was the league’s worst pass-protecting right tackle, surrendering a ridiculous 67 total QB pressures on the season; he was also flagged 13 times. The guard pairing either let themselves down run blocking (Jeff Allen) or pass blocking (Xavier Su’a-Filo) over the year.

That's good to see about Mancz playing that well but was disappointed seeing that XSF was bad at pass pro. I didn't think he was that bad. Now Allen, well that's another story. He looked bad at pass pro and run blocking from the times I watched him. Either way I still think the Texans need to draft 2 O-linemen (RT and RG) and they need to do it early, although if they go after a QB in the 1st, I could see them getting an OT in the 2nd or even the 3rd now. It looks as if the OT talent is not at the top of the draft but good solid picks may be found throughout the mid rounds. The top OT's all have warts this year so you may as well get someone in the mid rounds with the same warts!

I very honestly don't see runningback as a position of need. With a horrible line and horrible coaching and horrible scheme and no passing game, Miller still averaged 4.0ypc. We have him through at least next year because of his salary structure, but IMO he's with Duane Brown as the only bright spots on the offense. Blue, Hunt, Hilliard(?), Grimes ... we can make the position work without burning an early pick.

I very honestly don't see runningback as a position of need. With a horrible line and horrible coaching and horrible scheme and no passing game, Miller still averaged 4.0ypc. We have him through at least next year because of his salary structure, but IMO he's with Duane Brown as the only bright spots on the offense. Blue, Hunt, Hilliard(?), Grimes ... we can make the position work without burning an early pick.

I like Hunt. With a creative coaching staff I think he can be a game changer.

I liked the way he was mixed in to the game against New England, we finally saw this offense attack the edges... would have been more productive had we been working on it throughout the year.

But when you've got David Johnsons, Devonta Freemans, Tevin Colemans, Devontae Bookers, Jordan Howards & the likes out there we don't need to be messing with Alfred Blues & Kenny Hilliards....

I like Hunt. With a creative coaching staff I think he can be a game changer.

I liked the way he was mixed in to the game against New England, we finally saw this offense attack the edges... would have been more productive had we been working on it throughout the year.

But when you've got David Johnsons, Devonta Freemans, Tevin Colemans, Devontae Bookers, Jordan Howards & the likes out there we don't need to be messing with Alfred Blues & Kenny Hilliards....

You realize that LAMAR MILLER is our starting runningback right? I bet he compares quite favorably against most teams' backups as well. (comparing Blue and Hunt to Johnson and Freeman? really?). Incase you missed it, Miller also compares favorably to the top 10 RB's this year in spite of our worst ever offense.

You realize that LAMAR MILLER is our starting runningback right? I bet he compares quite favorably against most teams' backups as well. (comparing Blue and Hunt to Johnson and Freeman? really?). Incase you missed it, Miller also compares favorably to the top 10 RB's this year in spite of our worst ever offense.

All the guys I mentioned were drafted in the third round or later. You're crazy if you wouldn't rather have Lamar Miller & Jordan Howard instead of Lamar Miller & Alfred Blue.

All the guys I mentioned were drafted in the third round or later. You're crazy if you wouldn't rather have Lamar Miller & Jordan Howard instead of Lamar Miller & Alfred Blue.

I would rather have Lamar Miller and Marshal Yanda if we're going to cherry pick.

Point being we have a really good runningback. We have 3-4 competent backups. We DON'T have an offensive line, or quarterback, or cover linebacker (or ILB depth) or a heavy safety, or contingencies at DB for contracts, or depth on the offensive and defensive lines.

We DO have that really good starting runningback and 3 or 4 competent backups ... not a need position.

Last edited:
I just got a chance to watch some Mahomes. He looks absolutely terrified to get hit, consistently throwing off his back foot and fading away. He's also got some really sloppy mechanics in the pocket. He holds the ball so low, he's going to be a fumble machine.

He threw up a ton of prayer plays it seems and most of them worked out luckily in his favor.

The guy looks like more of a project than most guys you see in college, honestly. No way I would take him in the 1st round.

I just got a chance to watch some Mahomes. He looks absolutely terrified to get hit, consistently throwing off his back foot and fading away. He's also got some really sloppy mechanics in the pocket. He holds the ball so low, he's going to be a fumble machine.

He threw up a ton of prayer plays it seems and most of them worked out luckily in his favor.

The guy looks like more of a project than most guys you see in college, honestly. No way I would take him in the 1st round.

Agreed. I'm not a very big fan at all. He also got dinged up quite a bit in college too.

He throws off his back foot A LOT. He's also very off-schedule. The Air Raid attack in Leach's variation is based on timing, with specific route combos enlisted against specific coverages to get a specific man open. Way too often, Mahomes is either late to see his man or never sees him at all, and is forced to run around and dance in the pocket when the ball should have been out already. Honestly, it worked out quite a lot. But that won't happen at the next level.

Agreed. I'm not a very big fan at all. He also got dinged up quite a bit in college too.

He throws off his back foot A LOT. He's also very off-schedule. The Air Raid attack in Leach's variation is based on timing, with specific route combos enlisted against specific coverages to get a specific man open. Way too often, Mahomes is either late to see his man or never sees him at all, and is forced to run around and dance in the pocket when the ball should have been out already. Honestly, it worked out quite a lot. But that won't happen at the next level.
Still the guy had 5,052 yards at 8.5 each pass for 66% accuracy. Improve our oline like we have to + our TE/WRs and Lamar Miller, he should be okay. Optimistically he could sit behind Savage for a bit.

Back