Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WolverineFan 2014 Mock - V2.0

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
*This mock assumes that Kubiak and Co. are fired and that the new staff implements a 4-3 defense.

1. Anthony Barr - OLB, UCLA
6-4, 240
- With Bridgewater off the board the new staff goes after an instant impact player for the front seven instead of reaching into the next crop of QB's. It's no secret around the league that Watt is our only consistent pass rush threat. That needs to be addressed. Barr is a physical freak with 36 tackles for loss and 20 sacks to his credit in the last 2 years. He's only played defense for 2 years and his potential is unlimited. He also has NFL bloodlines, with his father and 3 uncles all playing in the NFL.

2. Aaron Murray - QB, Georgia
6-0, 215
- Whether you believe Keenum is the answer or not, a new staff WILL draft a QB. After passing on a QB in the 1st, the new staff addresses that issue here. Murray would have a consensus 1st round grade if he were taller. He is a 4-year starter with a great arm and is mobile enough to escape pressure. Thus far in his career, he's thrown for 117 TD's with 40 INT's. He's also completed over 60% of his passes every year while playing in a pro-style offense. If he can nail down the mental part of the game he will be able to overcome his size limitations.

3. DaQuan Jones - DT, Penn State
6-3, 318
- Jones follows in an impressive line of DT's at Penn State including Devon Still and Jordan Hill. Because of the scholarship limitations at Penn State, he is not surrounded by a lot of talent. Even so, he has accumulated 10.5 tackles for loss and 3 sacks so far on the year while being the primary run stuffer for the Nittany Lions. He's a big bodied DT with a quick first step and some pass rushing ability.

4. JaWuan James - OT, Tennessee
6-6, 318
- James is overshadowed by his teammate, Antonio "Tiny" Richardson, but he is no slouch. With over 40 starts to his credit, James has the pedigree that you look for when searching for 'sleeper' Offensive Linemen later in the draft. He's a very powerful run blocker but has also held his own against the great pass rushers of the SEC. He has been part of a dynamic duo at OT that has been at the top of the country in recent years in sacks allowed.

5. Ross Cockrell - CB, Duke
6-0, 190
- It's no secret that we need CB's. I'd like to add one earlier, but there are a ton of needs on this team that need to be addressed. Cockrell is a 4-year starter at CB and was an honorable mention All-American and 1st Team All-ACC last year as a Junior when he led the ACC in interceptions (5). He's the ACC active leader in INT's and 2nd in PBU's. He's also a 3-time Academic All-ACC selection. He doesn't have the top end speed that you look for in a starting CB, but he could be a great Nickel CB in a zone defense. His intelligence, instincts, and ball skills make for a very intriguing player. If he runs a good forty at the combine his stock could soar.

5 (comp). Spencer Long - OG, Nebraska
6-4, 315
- We all acknowledge that we need to add talent to the Offensive Line. We also need to add depth. Long is a two-time All-Big Ten selection and was a 2nd Team All-American as a Junior last year. With over 30 starts in his career, Long was named to the preseason Outland Trophy Award watch list and would likely be a much higher pick if he had not suffered a season ending injury earlier this year. He is a very aggressive blocker in the run game with a great first step that can get to the second level. He shows great hand usage and has experience in zone and power concepts. He's criminally underrated across the country.

6. Antonio Andrews - RB, Western Kentucky
5-11, 212
- We're going to need a solid option behind Arian Foster next year. Ben Tate will be gone and I'm not convinced that Dennis Johnson is the answer. Enter Antonio Andrews. A two-year starter at WKU, Andrews led the nation in total yards last season and came within 88 yards of breaking Barry Sanders record for total yards in a season. He finished with 3,161 and has accumulated over 2,000 this season and is on pace to lead the nation in total yards once again. Andrews is a bruising back with a great burst that can break burst through holes and break tackles. His draft rating is lower than it should be because he plays in a small conference, but he's a steal this late in the draft.

7. Brock Vereen - S, Minnesota
5-11, 202
- We really need to add some talent at the Safety position. Manning is an established veteran, but his contract is running out soon. Swearinger is talented, but needs some development. Keo and Pleasant are JAG's. Vereen is not as explosive an athlete as his brother (Shane Vereen, RB/WR - Patriots) but he combines his athletic ability with a great football IQ. He has good instincts for the position and has improved Minnesota's secondary dramatically since moving to Safety. He could be a much more valuable depth player behind Manning than Pleasant has ever been.

OFFENSE:
QB - C. Keenum / A. Murray
RB - A. Foster / A. Andrews
FB - Free Agent
WR - A. Johnson / K. Martin
WR - D. Hopkins / D. Posey
TE - O. Daniels / R. Griffin
LT - D. Brown / D. Newton
LG - D. Quessenberry / S. Long
C - C. Myers / B. Jones
RG - B. Brooks / C. White
RT - J. James / B. Williams

DEFENSE:
SDE - J. Watt / T. Jamison
NT - D. Jones / T. McClain
DT - E. Mitchell / J. Crick
WDE - W. Mercilus / Free Agent
SLB - A. Barr / B. Reed
MLB - B. Cushing / J. Mays
WLB - T. Williams / J. Tuggle
CB - J. Joseph / B. Harris
FS - D. Swearinger / S. Keo
SS - D. Manning / B. Vereen
CB - K. Jackson / A. Bouye / R. Cockrell

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with 5,6, & 7. I really like 1-4, all good picks. I like Long at 5b but concerned about his knee injury and taking another injured player. Overall very good job.

Huge fan of Barr. Still quite raw but has all the physical tools. I like Murray, think he will have a long NFL career....as a backup. I don't see him as a long term answer at QB.

I like but don't love Jones and James. Cockrell is severely underrated, probably because he's at Duke.

Long and Andrews are both incredibly talented but have issues. Long has the injury concerns and Andrews is known as a bit of a knucklehead. Vereen does't appear to be NFL caliber to me but he's worth a look in the 7th.

*This mock assumes that Kubiak and Co. are fired and that the new staff implements a 4-3 defense.

1. Anthony Barr - OLB, UCLA
6-4, 240
- With Bridgewater off the board the new staff goes after an instant impact player for the front seven instead of reaching into the next crop of QB's. It's no secret around the league that Watt is our only consistent pass rush threat. That needs to be addressed. Barr is a physical freak with 36 tackles for loss and 20 sacks to his credit in the last 2 years. He's only played defense for 2 years and his potential is unlimited. He also has NFL bloodlines, with his father and 3 uncles all playing in the NFL.

2. Aaron Murray - QB, Georgia
6-0, 215
- Whether you believe Keenum is the answer or not, a new staff WILL draft a QB. After passing on a QB in the 1st, the new staff addresses that issue here. Murray would have a consensus 1st round grade if he were taller. He is a 4-year starter with a great arm and is mobile enough to escape pressure. Thus far in his career, he's thrown for 117 TD's with 40 INT's. He's also completed over 60% of his passes every year while playing in a pro-style offense. If he can nail down the mental part of the game he will be able to overcome his size limitations.

3. DaQuan Jones - DT, Penn State
6-3, 318
- Jones follows in an impressive line of DT's at Penn State including Devon Still and Jordan Hill. Because of the scholarship limitations at Penn State, he is not surrounded by a lot of talent. Even so, he has accumulated 10.5 tackles for loss and 3 sacks so far on the year while being the primary run stuffer for the Nittany Lions. He's a big bodied DT with a quick first step and some pass rushing ability.

4. JaWuan James - OT, Tennessee
6-6, 318
- James is overshadowed by his teammate, Antonio "Tiny" Richardson, but he is no slouch. With over 40 starts to his credit, James has the pedigree that you look for when searching for 'sleeper' Offensive Linemen later in the draft. He's a very powerful run blocker but has also held his own against the great pass rushers of the SEC. He has been part of a dynamic duo at OT that has been at the top of the country in recent years in sacks allowed.

5. Ross Cockrell - CB, Duke
6-0, 190
- It's no secret that we need CB's. I'd like to add one earlier, but there are a ton of needs on this team that need to be addressed. Cockrell is a 4-year starter at CB and was an honorable mention All-American and 1st Team All-ACC last year as a Junior when he led the ACC in interceptions (5). He's the ACC active leader in INT's and 2nd in PBU's. He's also a 3-time Academic All-ACC selection. He doesn't have the top end speed that you look for in a starting CB, but he could be a great Nickel CB in a zone defense. His intelligence, instincts, and ball skills make for a very intriguing player. If he runs a good forty at the combine his stock could soar.

5 (comp). Spencer Long - OG, Nebraska
6-4, 315
- We all acknowledge that we need to add talent to the Offensive Line. We also need to add depth. Long is a two-time All-Big Ten selection and was a 2nd Team All-American as a Junior last year. With over 30 starts in his career, Long was named to the preseason Outland Trophy Award watch list and would likely be a much higher pick if he had not suffered a season ending injury earlier this year. He is a very aggressive blocker in the run game with a great first step that can get to the second level. He shows great hand usage and has experience in zone and power concepts. He's criminally underrated across the country.

6. Antonio Andrews - RB, Western Kentucky
5-11, 212
- We're going to need a solid option behind Arian Foster next year. Ben Tate will be gone and I'm not convinced that Dennis Johnson is the answer. Enter Antonio Andrews. A two-year starter at WKU, Andrews led the nation in total yards last season and came within 88 yards of breaking Barry Sanders record for total yards in a season. He finished with 3,161 and has accumulated over 2,000 this season and is on pace to lead the nation in total yards once again. Andrews is a bruising back with a great burst that can break burst through holes and break tackles. His draft rating is lower than it should be because he plays in a small conference, but he's a steal this late in the draft.

7. Brock Vereen - S, Minnesota
5-11, 202
- We really need to add some talent at the Safety position. Manning is an established veteran, but his contract is running out soon. Swearinger is talented, but needs some development. Keo and Pleasant are JAG's. Vereen is not as explosive an athlete as his brother (Shane Vereen, RB/WR - Patriots) but he combines his athletic ability with a great football IQ. He has good instincts for the position and has improved Minnesota's secondary dramatically since moving to Safety. He could be a much more valuable depth player behind Manning than Pleasant has ever been.
I am really tired of missing on OLBs and don't want to risk a first round. Barr is very good but imo only two can't miss prospects in first, Jake Matthews and C J Mosely. I could go with Murray who like the other QBs has slipped a bit but see him as an early third. Have to say no to DaQuan Joes who I was pretty interested in but after focusing on him for a while, marked him off list.

James is my guy and if I knew I could get him in 4th, I'd take him over every OT but Matthews. Andrews would be awesome especially at that round. Enjoyed the read.

I like Barr a lot. The more I watch if him, the more I'm thinking I'd rather have him than clowney. I like the motor he plays with and he's a sudden burst athlete. He's the type of pass rusher we don't have from the edge. I would like him as. 34 olb or 43 weak side DE, but I think you'd be wasting him at olb. And I think JJ watt is perfect in the scheme he's in now.

Move him to DE and I don't think watt is as effective tbh. Part of what makes watt so good is his instincts and shooting gaps. Can't do that on the edge because you'll give up huge plays way more often. On the edge he'll have to play contain more often and he won't be able to just go like he does now.

I love the 34 anyways and I'm really hoping the next coach sticks with it.

I like Barr a lot. The more I watch if him, the more I'm thinking I'd rather have him than clowney. I like the motor he plays with and he's a sudden burst athlete. He's the type of pass rusher we don't have from the edge. I would like him as. 34 olb or 43 weak side DE, but I think you'd be wasting him at olb. And I think JJ watt is perfect in the scheme he's in now.

Move him to DE and I don't think watt is as effective tbh. Part of what makes watt so good is his instincts and shooting gaps. Can't do that on the edge because you'll give up huge plays way more often. On the edge he'll have to play contain more often and he won't be able to just go like he does now.

If we switched to a 4-3 I would put Watt at DT and have him keep doing what he's doing. I think he'd be a superior version of Warren Sapp

I like Barr a lot too, have him ranked higher than Clowney because of Clowney's question marks. I've seen him drop back in coverage as well and he looks mobile enough to do that at the next level.

I like Barr a lot too, have him ranked higher than Clowney because of Clowney's question marks. I've seen him drop back in coverage as well and he looks mobile enough to do that at the next level.

It's not that I don't think he's mobile enough to do it. Like I said, I'd love him as a 3-4 olb with watt at DE. But I view him kind of like Von miller. Miller can do it all, but I'd rather have him rushing the passer most times.

I think Barr brings too much as a pass rusher to be an occasional pass rusher/blitzer as a true LB. I'd rather have him drop back occasionally and mostly be a rusher.

It's not that I don't think he's mobile enough to do it. Like I said, I'd love him as a 3-4 olb with watt at DE. But I view him kind of like Von miller. Miller can do it all, but I'd rather have him rushing the passer most times.

I think Barr brings too much as a pass rusher to be an occasional pass rusher/blitzer as a true LB. I'd rather have him drop back occasionally and mostly be a rusher.

Von Miller is exactly who I picture when I watch Barr play.

I think he could play in a 43 but he is far more valuable in a 34 because he would be used as a pass rusher more frequently.

I thought I had mentioned it in the OP, but I went back and saw that I didn't. I would draft Barr and use him like Von Miller. That's exactly how I imagine his usage in a 4-3 defense.

Agreed on using him in a 3-4 preferably though.

Back