Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wolf6151's 2012 Mock.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I used Walterfootball.com's recently updated 2012 prospects list.

1. Vontaze Burfict-ILB from Arizona St., this guy is a beast and has been compared with Ray Lewis. I see our top needs next year being FS/SS, NT, and ILB. There are no NT or FS/SS worthy of a pick in the 15-20 range at this time and I think that Ryans injury will slow him down more than most realize. Also we don't know how Cushing will perform on the inside so Burfict fills lots of LB holes that may come up.

2. Alameda TaAmu-NT from Washington, this guy is huge and currently the top rated NT by Waltersfootball. I don't think Cody or Mitchell will be stout enough at NT in the run game and add an injured Ryans in the middle, this is a recipe for getting gashed up the middle next year in the run game.

3. Rashard Hall-FS from Clemson, next year doesn't look like a very good year for FS/SS and I think Phillips coverage scheme will call more for 2 FS's who can play the run more than a traditional FS/SS tandem. Hall has really good size and speed.

4. Phillip Blake-C from Baylor, he's got the size that Myers lacks and is a converted OT so I'm guessing that he should have some agility as well and could be a utility lineman.

5. Marvin McNutt-WR from Iowa, this guy has great size at 6'04" and 215 lbs. and had good production last year. I don't see WR as being a huge need like some others and think our WR corp will be fine next year.

6. ?????? I don't know here, maybe some depth at NT, CB, DE, or OG.

7. Karnell Hatcher-S from LSU or Harrison Smith-S from Notre Dame, both have great size and average speed for the position and added depth at our weakest position can't hurt. Also late round picks will be expected to play special teams where a Safety with size should fit in well.

I think it will take more than one draft to complete the change in defense from 4-3 to 3-4 and could see us going almost exclusively defense again, we've still got some big holes to fill and needed depth.

Your first two picks are money, although I maintain my position that Ta'amu will be a late first rounder. Burfict has all the physical talent in the world, and if he can keep his head straight, he will be a good one.

I honestly dont know a lot about the rest of your draft, so I will check them out.

Good mock

Although I would rather draft a WR with speed in the 3rd. Instead of reaching for a S.

Not the first time I've seen your #1 listed. I'll be watching much more college ball this fall so I can keep up! :D

I used Walterfootball.com's recently updated 2012 prospects list.

1. Vontaze Burfict-ILB from Arizona St., this guy is a beast and has been compared with Ray Lewis. I see our top needs next year being FS/SS, NT, and ILB. There are no NT or FS/SS worthy of a pick in the 15-20 range at this time and I think that Ryans injury will slow him down more than most realize. Also we don't know how Cushing will perform on the inside so Burfict fills lots of LB holes that may come up.

2. Alameda TaAmu-NT from Washington, this guy is huge and currently the top rated NT by Waltersfootball. I don't think Cody or Mitchell will be stout enough at NT in the run game and add an injured Ryans in the middle, this is a recipe for getting gashed up the middle next year in the run game.

3. Rashard Hall-FS from Clemson, next year doesn't look like a very good year for FS/SS and I think Phillips coverage scheme will call more for 2 FS's who can play the run more than a traditional FS/SS tandem. Hall has really good size and speed.

4. Phillip Blake-C from Baylor, he's got the size that Myers lacks and is a converted OT so I'm guessing that he should have some agility as well and could be a utility lineman.

5. Marvin McNutt-WR from Iowa, this guy has great size at 6'04" and 215 lbs. and had good production last year. I don't see WR as being a huge need like some others and think our WR corp will be fine next year.

6. ?????? I don't know here, maybe some depth at NT, CB, DE, or OG.

7. Karnell Hatcher-S from LSU or Harrison Smith-S from Notre Dame, both have great size and average speed for the position and added depth at our weakest position can't hurt. Also late round picks will be expected to play special teams where a Safety with size should fit in well.

I think it will take more than one draft to complete the change in defense from 4-3 to 3-4 and could see us going almost exclusively defense again, we've still got some big holes to fill and needed depth.
I really like you first four picks but here is my thinking;

With this team, our first guy has to be a starter or it is a waste. This was only problem I had with Watt who would not beat out Smith or Mario. Williams going to OLB made things much better for me (if it works). If Demeco plays (and he will if he is only 75%, you are paying a bunch for insurance). If it happens, I can go with it as ILB calling plays is a priority & we saw what happened with Ryans out. Second, I never would pass on a franchise type player and you will have Jeff Fuller available. At 6'4" 215 4.42 40 you have a future Andre Johnson. Even if JJ is back this would allow Texans to have #1 WR corps in NFL arguably. WIth our TEs? Whooee!

Ta'amu? I have him in 3rd but my mock partner RMARTIN65 is probably evaluating him correctly in first. He is only NT without issues with good size and if he has a decent year will his name called first day. Your FS is good but mine will be even better (boast, lol) and I get him a round lower in 4th. Winston Guy Kentucky 6'1" 210 4.46 (yowser). Guy can also play SS & CB. If we didn't have Quin at FS, I think I'd go Eddie Whitley in first round 6'1" 190 and 4.45. Can play CB and is a kick returner.

Hey, really enjoyed your work & love discussing these players.

I really like you first four picks but here is my thinking;

With this team, our first guy has to be a starter or it is a waste. This was only problem I had with Watt who would not beat out Smith or Mario. Williams going to OLB made things much better for me (if it works). If Demeco plays (and he will if he is only 75%, you are paying a bunch for insurance). If it happens, I can go with it as ILB calling plays is a priority & we saw what happened with Ryans out. Second, I never would pass on a franchise type player and you will have Jeff Fuller available. At 6'4" 215 4.42 40 you have a future Andre Johnson. Even if JJ is back this would allow Texans to have #1 WR corps in NFL arguably. WIth our TEs? Whooee!

Ta'amu? I have him in 3rd but my mock partner RMARTIN65 is probably evaluating him correctly in first. He is only NT without issues with good size and if he has a decent year will his name called first day. Your FS is good but mine will be even better (boast, lol) and I get him a round lower in 4th. Winston Guy Kentucky 6'1" 210 4.46 (yowser). Guy can also play SS & CB. If we didn't have Quin at FS, I think I'd go Eddie Whitley in first round 6'1" 190 and 4.45. Can play CB and is a kick returner.

Hey, really enjoyed your work & love discussing these players.

I agree with you that our 1st round pick should be a starter but I picked Burfict from a value standpoint. A guy with his size, speed, toughness, and attitude shouldn't be passed up. There were no FS/SS or NT worthy of a 1st round pick at this time. TaAmu might work his way into the very late 1st round come draft time but I predict we draft around 15-20 and he isn't worth a mid level 1st yet. I could see us taking a CB in the 1st round but we'll just have to wait and see what Jackson, Harris, and Carmichael can do next year. I also think it will take more than one draft to build a good 3-4 defense so I don't want them to take a WR in the 1st round when we still have holes to fill on defense and there will surely be even more holes on defense in April of 2012. I wouldn't mind if we went almost exclusively defense again next year. I'd sure have alot more confidence in our defense with another draft like the one we had this year with Phillips making all the choices.

As for FS there's no guarantee that Quin will be any better than any of the crappy FS's we've ever had. I hope he does great and makes FS a position we don't have to worry about for years to come. I also think that in Phillips defense both S positions will be FS coverage players more so that the traditional FS and SS in the box style. So regardless of how well Quin does we need some quality FS talent on this team. Depending on how Robert Lester does this year he could be a possibility in the 1st round next year. I might work on another mock with Lester in the 1st round, it's good to look at different options from different perspectives.

I agree with you that our 1st round pick should be a starter but I picked Burfict from a value standpoint. A guy with his size, speed, toughness, and attitude shouldn't be passed up. There were no FS/SS or NT worthy of a 1st round pick at this time. TaAmu might work his way into the very late 1st round come draft time but I predict we draft around 15-20 and he isn't worth a mid level 1st yet. I could see us taking a CB in the 1st round but we'll just have to wait and see what Jackson, Harris, and Carmichael can do next year. I also think it will take more than one draft to build a good 3-4 defense so I don't want them to take a WR in the 1st round when we still have holes to fill on defense and there will surely be even more holes on defense in April of 2012. I wouldn't mind if we went almost exclusively defense again next year. I'd sure have alot more confidence in our defense with another draft like the one we had this year with Phillips making all the choices.

As for FS there's no guarantee that Quin will be any better than any of the crappy FS's we've ever had. I hope he does great and makes FS a position we don't have to worry about for years to come. I also think that in Phillips defense both S positions will be FS coverage players more so that the traditional FS and SS in the box style. So regardless of how well Quin does we need some quality FS talent on this team. Depending on how Robert Lester does this year he could be a possibility in the 1st round next year. I might work on another mock with Lester in the 1st round, it's good to look at different options from different perspectives.
Understand your points and enjoyed the post.

An updated 2012 mock. This mock is very dependent on how KJ and Brandon Harris play, as well as the health and play of Cushing and Ryans. I think we draft around the 18th spot.

1. Stephon Gilmore-CB from South Carolina. (this might require a little luck but it's still early.
2. Alameda Ta'amu-NT from Washington, this is a no brainer pick.
3. Eddie Whitley-FS from VT, we need some quality depth here.
4. Kevin Reddick-ILB from UNC or Tanner Brock-ILB from TCU, both look good, can't make up my mind. Maybe we could make a trade and get both, Sharpton is to small to play ILB in a 3-4.
5. Brandon Washington-OG from University of Miami or Phillip Blake-C from Baylor, I've read that Blake is a project player but that's good for a 5th round pick.
6. Travian Robertson-DE from S. Carolina.
7. Kyle Martens-P from Rice, big guy and a local.

This draft gives us starters and added depth to finish the 3-4 rebuild.

An updated 2012 mock. This mock is very dependent on how KJ and Brandon Harris play, as well as the health and play of Cushing and Ryans. I think we draft around the 18th spot.

1. Stephon Gilmore-CB from South Carolina. (this might require a little luck but it's still early.
2. Alameda Ta'amu-NT from Washington, this is a no brainer pick.
3. Eddie Whitley-FS from VT, we need some quality depth here.
4. Kevin Reddick-ILB from UNC or Tanner Brock-ILB from TCU, both look good, can't make up my mind. Maybe we could make a trade and get both, Sharpton is to small to play ILB in a 3-4.
5. Brandon Washington-OG from University of Miami or Phillip Blake-C from Baylor, I've read that Blake is a project player but that's good for a 5th round pick.
6. Travian Robertson-DE from S. Carolina.
7. Kyle Martens-P from Rice, big guy and a local.

This draft gives us starters and added depth to finish the 3-4 rebuild.
I think Gilmore will be gone as I have Texan picking later than you. FYI, keep an eye on this guy, As of now I think he will remain in school but I want to watch him this season.

Xavier Rhodes**, CB, Florida State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
9/2/11: Xavier Rhodes has a dynamite skill set. He is big, fast, agile and has good hands. As a redshirt freshman, Rhodes started 14 games and was the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year. He recorded 58 tackles with four interceptions and 12 passes defensed. Rhodes displays natural shut-down skills. If Rhodes has another standout season, he could declare for the 2012 draft, or he could return to school with an eye on the top of the first round in the 2013 draft.

Listed #5 on Walterfootball.com.

Think of this from McNair's POV:

Probowl WR with no issues or
ILB that might not beat out Cushing or Ryans and has issues.

I'm looking at nose tackles and corners right now. Wr's after that.

That could change based on how the season goes.

Think of this from McNair's POV:

Probowl WR with no issues or
ILB that might not beat out Cushing or Ryans and has issues.

I look at it a little different from McNair's POV. AJ just got a big contract extension and Walter and OD got one a couple years ago. That's lots of money tied up on pass catchers. Also Walter wasn't healthy to start last year, so I look for alot better production from him this year. Also a 1st round WR would be making alot of money and probably still be behind Walter on the depth chart. Now that Cushing is suppossedly off the juice he's having injury issues which happens to alot of juicers so Cushing might not be the player he was 2 yrs. ago and may need to be replaced. He also looks smaller in size and may not hold up well as an ILB in the 3-4. Obviously our different perspectives toward the draft depend alot on the WR and ILB play this season and hopefully one or both of them can step up and solidify their positions so they're not early draft needs next year. I'd like to continue to build the 3-4 defense in the draft instead of filling new team holes.

I think it was BB who made a good point in another thread. If we take a good NT, Ta'amu, then it may alleviate the necessity for a high quality ILB to stuff the run. If that's the case we could look for a better CB in the 1st round taking a weakness from a year ago and making it into a strength. Again I'd like to spend all of our draft picks on defense if possible next year. That side of the game has been ignored far to long and it will take more than one draft to make the full conversion to the 3-4 and add better quality depth at positions that need it.

Last edited:
I think Gilmore will be gone as I have Texan picking later than you. FYI, keep an eye on this guy, As of now I think he will remain in school but I want to watch him this season.

Xavier Rhodes**, CB, Florida State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
9/2/11: Xavier Rhodes has a dynamite skill set. He is big, fast, agile and has good hands. As a redshirt freshman, Rhodes started 14 games and was the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year. He recorded 58 tackles with four interceptions and 12 passes defensed. Rhodes displays natural shut-down skills. If Rhodes has another standout season, he could declare for the 2012 draft, or he could return to school with an eye on the top of the first round in the 2013 draft.

Listed #5 on Walterfootball.com.

I haven't looked at him yet. That kind of size and speed reminds me of Patrick Peterson from this years draft. Sounds impressive. I doubt the Texans would pick a guy that's only played 2 yrs. though, Kubiak likes his guys with more starting experience and if he waits until 2013 to come out then we'd probably have to trade up to get him.

Rey, if your checking out NT's look at Marcus Forston from Miami. I know he's listed as a 4-3 DT but I think he could possibly hold down the 3-4 NT position as well.

Last edited:
I look at it a little different from McNair's POV. AJ just got a big contract extension and Walter and OD got one a couple years ago. That's lots of money tied up on pass catchers. Also Walter wasn't healthy to start last year, so I look for alot better production from him this year. Also a 1st round WR would be making alot of money and probably still be behind Walter on the depth chart. Now that Cushing is suppossedly off the juice he's having injury issues which happens to alot of juicers so Cushing might not be the player he was 2 yrs. ago and may need to be replaced. He also looks smaller in size and may not hold up well as an ILB in the 3-4. Obviously our different perspectives toward the draft depend alot on the WR and ILB play this season and hopefully one or both of them can step up and solidify their positions so they're not early draft needs next year. I'd like to continue to build the 3-4 defense in the draft instead of filling new team holes.

I think it was BB who made a good point in another thread. If we take a good NT, Ta'amu, then it may alleviate the necessity for a high quality ILB to stuff the run. If that's the case we could look for a better CB in the 1st round taking a weakness from a year ago and making it into a strength. Again I'd like to spend all of our draft picks on defense if possible next year. That side of the game has been ignored far to long and it will take more than one draft to make the full conversion to the 3-4 and add better quality depth at positions that need it.
My understanding is the new television deal that goes into effect next year will erase any concerns on what we pay players. An AJ clone in Jeff FUller, you draft. He probably would eliminate JJ saving $3million there. He has good hands and runs good routes and is at least a 4.5 guy in 40. It is possible he could move Walter down to #3 if Fuller can stretch field as I believe he will.

My focus now is there is only one maybe two DTs that can handle the Nose, Jared Crick and my big guy Ta"amu. both will probably be first round selections. There will be deep pool of WRs and corners. As for ILBs we can get a back up later in draft as I don't see any ILB beating out Cush or Ryans if healthy so why used a first?

My understanding is the new television deal that goes into effect next year will erase any concerns on what we pay players. An AJ clone in Jeff FUller, you draft. He probably would eliminate JJ saving $3million there. He has good hands and runs good routes and is at least a 4.5 guy in 40. It is possible he could move Walter down to #3 if Fuller can stretch field as I believe he will.

My focus now is there is only one maybe two DTs that can handle the Nose, Jared Crick and my big guy Ta"amu. both will probably be first round selections. There will be deep pool of WRs and corners. As for ILBs we can get a back up later in draft as I don't see any ILB beating out Cush or Ryans if healthy so why used a first?

Regardless of a new TV deal there is still a salary cap and Fullers ability to beat out JJ and/or Walter won't matter if we still have guaranteed money to both of those players. McNair doesn't want to pay guaranteed money to players on the bench. I don't know much about Fuller but know enough to trust your assessment so I'm sure he's a great player worthy of our 1st round pick but when your top 3 WR's have all gotten new contracts in the last 2 yrs. theirs no room for a 1st round rookie unless we can trade either Walter or JJ. I'm all for trading either of them but I think we're overpaying them so it would be difficult to trade them. I also think that it takes more than 1 offseason to make the transition to a 3-4 defense. We've still got holes to fill on defense like NT or positions that could stand to be upgraded like CB, and question marks at ILB, and FS. If Quin, Ryans, Cushing, KJ, and Harris can all fill their respective positions and remove them as question marks for the draft (not likely) then I'm all for upgrading something on offense like #2 WR and/or the O-line.

As for NT, no way is Jared Crick a 3-4 NT candidate. At 6'06" and 285 lbs. he might be a 4-3 DT/UT or DE, or maybe a 3-4 DE if he can add some weight but he's no NT. Ta'amu is the best candidate but I also think Marcus Forston can be a 3-4 NT even though he's listed as a 4-3 DT. I think Forston will go pro as well after all the trouble at Miami lately. Josh Chapman might also be a 3-4 NT and their's 2 big guys from Memphis Poe and McCray but I don't know anything about those guys. It's slim pickings this year at 3-4 NT so we need to make sure we get Ta'amu.

Regardless of a new TV deal there is still a salary cap and Fullers ability to beat out JJ and/or Walter won't matter if we still have guaranteed money to both of those players. McNair doesn't want to pay guaranteed money to players on the bench. I don't know much about Fuller but know enough to trust your assessment so I'm sure he's a great player worthy of our 1st round pick but when your top 3 WR's have all gotten new contracts in the last 2 yrs. theirs no room for a 1st round rookie unless we can trade either Walter or JJ. I'm all for trading either of them but I think we're overpaying them so it would be difficult to trade them. I also think that it takes more than 1 offseason to make the transition to a 3-4 defense. We've still got holes to fill on defense like NT or positions that could stand to be upgraded like CB, and question marks at ILB, and FS. If Quin, Ryans, Cushing, KJ, and Harris can all fill their respective positions and remove them as question marks for the draft (not likely) then I'm all for upgrading something on offense like #2 WR and/or the O-line.
As for NT, no way is Jared Crick a 3-4 NT candidate. At 6'06" and 285 lbs. he might be a 4-3 DT/UT or DE, or maybe a 3-4 DE if he can add some weight but he's no NT. Ta'amu is the best candidate but I also think Marcus Forston can be a 3-4 NT even though he's listed as a 4-3 DT. I think Forston will go pro as well after all the trouble at Miami lately. Josh Chapman might also be a 3-4 NT and their's 2 big guys from Memphis Poe and McCray but I don't know anything about those guys. It's slim pickings this year at 3-4 NT so we need to make sure we get Ta'amu.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/jonathan-baldwin/

KC gave Baldwin avg $1.9m/yr @ #26. Using the new rookie restrictions, I just don't see a late first effecting our cap much.

JJ's guarantee was $10m over 3 years and after this season1/3 will be paid. $2m is significant but not outrageous. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4239/jacoby-jones

Using your top 3 WRs new contracts scenario, Ryans, Cushing, Reed, Brahman, Dobbins and Sharpton all signed contracts recently. Mario will sign the biggest of all. Do you advocate not drafting a LB?

Jared Crick: I had the same view last year as you do but I keep reading he can play the nose. I've seen him listed at 288 which is too light for me but at 6'6" he should be able too handle another 20 which puts him up there with Wade's other boys. I will watch him this season. Enjoyed your posts.

Back