Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wolf6151 many new players mock.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I've looked through my previous mocks and found some faults with them. Many of the players in my new mock are new to me, some are better at their respective positions than the previous picks and some are just more realistic picks than previous picks. This mock like previous ones is based on us picking in the 22-24 range, and based on the Texans re-signing Mario. I'd love to do a new mock if the Texans are able to sign and trade Mario for quality picks but I'm not about to speculate what the Texans might get for him. Here's my new 2012 mock draft:

1. Dwight Jones-WR from UNC 6'04" and 215 lbs., previous pick was Brandon Thompson-DT from Clemson. Jones is tall, very athletic, average/good speed, with great hands, and runs good routes. He's physical with defenders and uses his body to shield well and is a playmaker. He's the total package you expect from a 1st round WR and also has a history with T.J. Yates. Thompson is a good player but Sean Cody has been playing well lately at NT so I lowered the importance of a NT to rotate with Cody by one spot and moved WR up to #1 because it's been pretty obvious Jacoby and Walter aren't getting it done when AJ is out. It's time for some fresh high quality blood at the WR position. I envision a WR corp made up of AJ, Dwight Jones at #2, and Walter at #3 in the slot, that's 2 guys to stretch the field and Walter as the high percentage dependable slot man.

2. Josh Chapman-NT from Alabama 6'01 and 310 lbs., previous pick was Juron Criner-WR. Chapman is a very strong NT with good leverage who can handle the double teams while also being more athletic that Ta'amu. He primarily plays the run but can occasionally collapse the pocket and put pressure on the QB. I think he'd work great into a rotation with Cody. Picking Chapman would also free up the Texans to move Earl Mitchell to DE which I think would be more fitting with his size and add needed depth at DE. Since Cody has played well lately I switched priorities to 1. WR and 2. NT.

3. Levy Adcock-RT from Oklahoma St. 6'05 and 318 lbs., previous pick was Brandon Washington-OG/OT Adcock is a RT that can play OG has good size and decent speed and should be able to add a few pounds with his height. Washington was a OG that has played RT and LT this year for Miami. If I'm GM I'm holding tryout's at RT between Winston and Adcock, best one plays RT and the other moves to RG. Winston seems to be slower, as he gets older, than he was a couple years ago and has always had short arms. He struggles with speed rushers but is still strong as an ox. Winstons limitations scream OG to me. This move would also move Briesel and Caldwell to depth positions thus improving our O-line depth tremendously, fixing alot of our O-line issues with one pick. Washington is very good and I honestly could go either way.

4. Tank Carder-ILB from TCU 6'02 and 237 lbs., previous pick was Kevin Reddick-ILB. I think Reddick is the better player but he's a junior and unlikely to go pro next year. If Reddick does declare then he's the pick. Carder has size with height to add weight, toughness with good college productivity. Carder should be excellent depth behind Demeco and insurance in case Demeco falters again.

5. Eddie Whitley-FS from Virginia Tech 6'01 and 190 lbs., previous pick was Neiko Thorpe-FS. Whitley is a higher rated player and can play Safety as well as CB. Whitley has had a disappointing senior season but a good junior season. Whitley is good in coverage which I think is what Wade primarily wants from his Safeties and should add some good quality depth. This is a weak Safety class so I think most all of them fall a little with no 1st round talent. Thorpe is decent but Whitley is better.

6. Marc Tyler-RB from USC 5'11" and 230 lbs., previous pick was Tony Jerod-Eddie-DE. I think the Texans let Derrick Ward leave in order to save some money and allow him to try to be the feature back for another team. Tyler has size to take the pounding and average speed. He's a power RB but had some injury issues which have limited his productivity but I think he could possibly be a steal in the 6th round. Eddie was a depth selection at DE and with the selection of Chapman moving Mitchell to DE frees up the Texans from picking a DE for depth purposes.

7. Kyle Martens-P from Rice 6'06 and 230 lbs., previous pick was Marc Tyler-RB. I like a P with LB size. He's got a strong leg and good directional ability as well. Unfortunately with the injury to Hartmann this pick becomes a necessity. If Hartmann can come back from injury as good as he was before then he get's his job back but this pick is insurance and training camp competition. Tyler got moved up to the 6th round to make sure we get him.

UDFA: Cody Johnson-FB from Texas who can also run the ball and catch a pass. Johnson probably gets drafted late but if he falls he's the signing. Chad Diehl-FB, big road grader FB but only a blocker not a runner or pass catcher.

I like some of my previous picks a little better but I think this one's more realistic.

I gotta tell ya, this is the only website I've seen Dwight Jones mocked in the first round. Or, honestly, above the 3rd. So from that perspective, I don't particularly like that pick. The DT/moving Earl to DE move sounds good but moving Winston probably isn't in the cards. Gotta do more reading for the rest of your draft!

I like this mock a lot. It hits all the important positions I think the Texans need and I definitely think they need to go WR in the 1st too. I don't know how good most of the players really are except what I read on other draft/prospect sites, like walterfootball.com or cbssports.com, but I would be happy with this haul if it turned out this way. Good job!

I like the Mock...

Only thing I'm not sure about is the Safety...

Stuff changes from year to year, but I feel pretty good about bringing back the safeties we have...Keo has actually been good on special teams so maybe he can develop into a spot duty/rotation guy in the regular defense as well...

I think I'd use that extra pick on another WR or O-lineman...

But I like it overall...

Ah. That's one I read so I guess I just missed it. Seen him, as well as several other WRs mocked anywhere from late 1st round to 4th.
Oh, I agree I was just providing info. There are 3 guys who mock on Walter & I usually just go with the main guy as he updates most frequently & is a bit more accurate. Of course if possible I try to watch a player myself. Ranking will solidify as always closer to draft, but it is fun to play around now.

I like the Mock...

Only thing I'm not sure about is the Safety...

Stuff changes from year to year, but I feel pretty good about bringing back the safeties we have...Keo has actually been good on special teams so maybe he can develop into a spot duty/rotation guy in the regular defense as well...

I think I'd use that extra pick on another WR or O-lineman...

But I like it overall...

I like the Safeties we have now as well, with the exception of Barber, but Safety has been a weakness of the team for years and we picked up Q. Demps off the street this year. I chose Whitley because he's good in coverage, which is what Phillips looks for in his Safeties, and he adds competition to the position. At the beginning of the season he was thought of as a possible 2nd round pick based on last years performance but he hasn't had a great senior season. A 5th round pick isn't to much to spend on a guy with potential for a position that has been a team weakness. Whitley would upgrade the depth behind Quin and Manning.

Also instead of doubling up on a position I was trying to spread some depth around on the defense since it's needed at all positions.

Back