Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wolf6151 latest 2010 mock draft/Offseason plan.

Wolf6151

All Pro
With 4 games left in our season I think we go 2-2 and finish the season at 7-9 with losses to Miami and New England. I'm guessing that we'll be picking around 13-16 range.

Free Agency:
I'm guessing that we should have some money to play with this year since we won't be paying Dunta a gross amount next year and should have some dead money coming off the books, Anthony Weaver. Also hopefully we free ourselves from Andre Davis' grossly expensive contract.

Re-signings:
Demeco Ryans, and Kevin Walter, Demeco should have already been signed.

Possible Re-signings:
Chester Pitts and Owen Daniels, I'd resign them but only to team friendly contracts that are laden with playing bonuses and incentives so they can prove they're worth a long term high dollar deal. If not then let them walk, the market on mediocre injured OG's ain't that great and although Daniels is great he needs to prove he can come back from this serious injury.

Outside FA's:
Logan Mankins, this guy has size, experience, attitude and is still young, he'd add alot to our very young O-line.

O.J. Atogwe, Nick Collins, or Antoine Bethea, if there's any money left over we should go after one of these guys. Atogwe would be expensive, from what I read Collins is disgruntled in Green Bay, and the Colts have several guys in their secondary reaching FA this year and probably can't give everyone big contracts. Also a FA FS should be cheaper than a FA #1 CB.

2010 Draft:

1. Joe Haden-CB, Dunta meet your replacement. With an experienced FS favoring Haden's side of the field he should be fine to start.

2. Dan Williams-DT, previously I had Jon Asamoah here but we can still get good quality OG's in the 3rd round. With Suh, Cody, and McCoy all most likely going in the 1st round I think there's a good chance Williams will be available in the 2nd.

3. Mike Johnson or Mitch Petrus-OG, whichever one is still available. Caldwell should be a starter by next year and with the addition of Mankins and one of these guys our O-line should be alot better than it currently is. This should move Myers and Brisiel to the bench where they belong and White and Studdard would most likely be gone.

My O-line would be:
Brown, Mankins, Caldwell, Johnson, Winston

4. Ben Tate-RB, actually any of the second tier RB's would be nice. I'll take Montario Hardesty, Anthony Dixon, Toby Gerhart, or possible LaGerette Blount whoever is still available.

5. Robert Vaughn-FS, If he doesn't take Eugene Wilsons job right away then he learns for a year and Wilson is adequate enough to fill the spot since he's got 2 more years on his contract anyway. Also I like drafting Safeties and LB's late since they'll be on special teams and should already know how to tackle.

6. Darian Stewart-SS, again added depth at SS behind Pollard and should move Ferguson and Barber into buying a ticket to the game.

6b. BPA, maybe a QB to groom for the future or a WR since we'll hopefully be freeing up some more money by cutting Andre Davis and a WR could fight with JJ, and Anderson for playing time. Possibly an OG/C for added competition and depth on the O-line.

7. Zoltan Mesko-P, younger and cheaper than Turk.

I'm thinking this offseason plan/draft should replace Dunta with a future #1 CB and improve our secondary, vastly improve our O-line thus improving our running game, improve our DT rotation, and improve our Safeties depth.

Opinions?

Good post, I would be happy with that offseason.

I know it's a pipe dream but isn't Jahri Evans going to be a FA as well? That would be the #1 guy I would want to add to this team.

Also I would replace the Stewart pick with an O-lineman or D-lineman to try and build depth in the trenches.

Jahri Evans is a FA and would be a great addition, but with the season that N.O. is having I doubt seriously that he'd be willing to leave.

As for a 6th round O-lineman or D-lineman, our current starters would become experienced backups on the O-line and we've got lots of depth on the D-line, we just lack a quality starter. Robinson, Cody, and Okam would be our depth as well as Smith in certain lineups.

With 4 games left in our season I think we go 2-2 and finish the season at 7-9 with losses to Miami and New England. I'm guessing that we'll be picking around 13-16 range.

Free Agency:
I'm guessing that we should have some money to play with this year since we won't be paying Dunta a gross amount next year and should have some dead money coming off the books, Anthony Weaver. Also hopefully we free ourselves from Andre Davis' grossly expensive contract.

Re-signings:
Demeco Ryans, and Kevin Walter, Demeco should have already been signed.

Possible Re-signings:
Chester Pitts and Owen Daniels, I'd resign them but only to team friendly contracts that are laden with playing bonuses and incentives so they can prove they're worth a long term high dollar deal. If not then let them walk, the market on mediocre injured OG's ain't that great and although Daniels is great he needs to prove he can come back from this serious injury.

Outside FA's:
Logan Mankins, this guy has size, experience, attitude and is still young, he'd add alot to our very young O-line.

O.J. Atogwe, Nick Collins, or Antoine Bethea, if there's any money left over we should go after one of these guys. Atogwe would be expensive, from what I read Collins is disgruntled in Green Bay, and the Colts have several guys in their secondary reaching FA this year and probably can't give everyone big contracts. Also a FA FS should be cheaper than a FA #1 CB.

2010 Draft:

1. Joe Haden-CB, Dunta meet your replacement. With an experienced FS favoring Haden's side of the field he should be fine to start.

2. Dan Williams-DT, previously I had Jon Asamoah here but we can still get good quality OG's in the 3rd round. With Suh, Cody, and McCoy all most likely going in the 1st round I think there's a good chance Williams will be available in the 2nd.

3. Mike Johnson or Mitch Petrus-OG, whichever one is still available. Caldwell should be a starter by next year and with the addition of Mankins and one of these guys our O-line should be alot better than it currently is. This should move Myers and Brisiel to the bench where they belong and White and Studdard would most likely be gone.

My O-line would be:
Brown, Mankins, Caldwell, Johnson, Winston

4. Ben Tate-RB, actually any of the second tier RB's would be nice. I'll take Montario Hardesty, Anthony Dixon, Toby Gerhart, or possible LaGerette Blount whoever is still available.

5. Robert Vaughn-FS, If he doesn't take Eugene Wilsons job right away then he learns for a year and Wilson is adequate enough to fill the spot since he's got 2 more years on his contract anyway. Also I like drafting Safeties and LB's late since they'll be on special teams and should already know how to tackle.

6. Darian Stewart-SS, again added depth at SS behind Pollard and should move Ferguson and Barber into buying a ticket to the game.

6b. BPA, maybe a QB to groom for the future or a WR since we'll hopefully be freeing up some more money by cutting Andre Davis and a WR could fight with JJ, and Anderson for playing time. Possibly an OG/C for added competition and depth on the O-line.

7. Zoltan Mesko-P, younger and cheaper than Turk.

I'm thinking this offseason plan/draft should replace Dunta with a future #1 CB and improve our secondary, vastly improve our O-line thus improving our running game, improve our DT rotation, and improve our Safeties depth.

Opinions?
Outstanding! We are on same page needing Haden in first. If we miss him hopefully another will be available even if a step down. I also agree with #2 with same feelings. My observations of Johnson in a 3rd round will be ok although Beerlover mentioned on my thread that Kubes need fire power starters and he doubted Johnson would start immediately. Over all I think our DTs have really improved after first 3-4 games. It is when you see no one stopping the Jags on last possession...

3rd. Petrus is a concern as he was scholastically inelig all 2008. He seems to have corrected but I can find any eval on 2009.
4th If I knew either Gerhart or Dixon woul be there for us in 4th, it would be a fizzy party!

5&6 are good also. Again good job.

What would your mock look like if Haden isn't there at 13-16 range. I dont think he will be there if the Texans are picking 13-16.

I do think you have the positions right and aare resonable in which rd they will go in.

I like the G from Arz.St. Lauvao (SP)

What would your mock look like if Haden isn't there at 13-16 range. I dont think he will be there if the Texans are picking 13-16.

I do think you have the positions right and aare resonable in which rd they will go in.

If Haden isn't there then I'd suggest a trade down with New England who has three 2nd round picks #45, 51, and 58. We'd trade our 1st round pick for 2 of their 2nd round picks, #45 and #51. I've looked up the trade point value and it's in their favor but it's close, and it's also how you sell them on the trade and the cost of doing business. If need be then we could also get an additional later round pick to even things out. With three 2nd round picks we could get 2 great OG's and still get a really good CB like Trevard Lindley or Patrick Robinson. We'd then have the 3rd and 4th round picks to pick up a rotational DT and a FS or RB.

Dan Williams will more then likely go in 1st or in the 2nd before the Texans get the pick. I also agree that Haden more then likely will be a lock for the Texans.

Dan Williams will more then likely go in 1st or in the 2nd before the Texans get the pick. I also agree that Haden more then likely will be a lock for the Texans.

I'm not so sure about that there are 3 other DT's that will most likely go ahead of him, Suh, McCoy, and Cody. I'm thinking that other teams might rather have the best WR, RB, QB, etc... than have the 4th best DT. Yea it's possible, but I think there's a decent chance that Williams could fall to us in the 2nd round.

I'm not so sure about that there are 3 other DT's that will most likely go ahead of him, Suh, McCoy, and Cody. I'm thinking that other teams might rather have the best WR, RB, QB, etc... than have the 4th best DT. Yea it's possible, but I think there's a decent chance that Williams could fall to us in the 2nd round.

Williams and Cody are both NT's more then actual 4-3 DT. Denver, Miami, San Diego, KC and Pittsburgh all need a NT or a younger one.

This is my fear. A real good chance that Haden will be selected before us and Earl THomas UT will stay in school. If this happens I am stuck and I don't think New England will trade up with us. What happens if it is found Slaton's nerve problem is spinal related and ends his career? Do you look at C.J. Spiller? If Kubes is gone and thereby the ZBS, is Iupati worth that high a pick? He would be a bulldozer at guard for years.

This is my fear. A real good chance that Haden will be selected before us and Earl THomas UT will stay in school. If this happens I am stuck and I don't think New England will trade up with us. What happens if it is found Slaton's nerve problem is spinal related and ends his career? Do you look at C.J. Spiller? If Kubes is gone and thereby the ZBS, is Iupati worth that high a pick? He would be a bulldozer at guard for years.

Damn, we are too similar here. Haden is shooting up boards, just as quickly as we are shooting up draft slots. I say there is about a 50% chance of him being gone. That sucks. And so much of what we do next is dependent on the coaching. Regardless of whether Kubes stays or goes, I want Gibbs gone.

Damn, we are too similar here. Haden is shooting up boards, just as quickly as we are shooting up draft slots. I say there is about a 50% chance of him being gone. That sucks. And so much of what we do next is dependent on the coaching. Regardless of whether Kubes stays or goes, I want Gibbs gone.
Yeah, I liked that Alex was here to help get us a LT, but time for him to go. I'm not sure how much he is helping team now and we have Matthews coaching. Gibbs probably was someone for Gary and Kyle to lean on but time to move on. Who do you have if Haden gone? If Kubes goes do we keep ZBS or a more traditional O? I like a smash- mouth staright ahead, blow the defense back approach. Your guy Iupati would be excellent.

Yeah, I liked that Alex was here to help get us a LT, but time for him to go. I'm not sure how much he is helping team now and we have Matthews coaching. Gibbs probably was someone for Gary and Kyle to lean on but time to move on. Who do you have if Haden gone? If Kubes goes do we keep ZBS or a more traditional O? I like a smash- mouth staright ahead, blow the defense back approach. Your guy Iupati would be excellent.

I just wrote in your other thread, I think Iupati would be a good fit, and switch to a power game. If Haden is still around, then your pick of Johnson in the 3rd is a good one.

I just wrote in your other thread, I think Iupati would be a good fit, and switch to a power game. If Haden is still around, then your pick of Johnson in the 3rd is a good one.
Brown LT, Iupati LG, Thomas Austin C, Caldwell RG and WInston RT with Gerhart running behind, Hmm. Could probably still get a decent corner in 4th even if Wilson or Murphy gone.

I actually think our chances of getting Haden are getting better. As of the end of week 13 we're currently in the 12th draft position with 4 games left. I think that we'll most likely go 2-2 with losses to Miami and New England making our final record 7-9, under .500, and with current standings would put us drafting around 8th-10th. Getting Haden is very doable.

As for Iupati, he may be the highest rated OG but he's not worth a pick that high and I honestly wouldn't touch him til the 2nd round. I question the level of competition that he has faced in the WAC and have never known Idaho to be a hot bed of NFL talent. It's hard enough going from the SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12, ACC, etc... to the NFL but going from a minor university, football wise, is much harder. You usually don't see many small school guys ever go in the 1st round. Iupati would have to be the second coming of Bruce Mathews to be worth a 1st round consideration and I don't think he is.

I actually think our chances of getting Haden are getting better. As of the end of week 13 we're currently in the 12th draft position with 4 games left. I think that we'll most likely go 2-2 with losses to Miami and New England making our final record 7-9, under .500, and with current standings would put us drafting around 8th-10th. Getting Haden is very doable.

As for Iupati, he may be the highest rated OG but he's not worth a pick that high and I honestly wouldn't touch him til the 2nd round. I question the level of competition that he has faced in the WAC and have never known Idaho to be a hot bed of NFL talent. It's hard enough going from the SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12, ACC, etc... to the NFL but going from a minor university, football wise, is much harder. You usually don't see many small school guys ever go in the 1st round. Iupati would have to be the second coming of Bruce Mathews to be worth a 1st round consideration and I don't think he is.

Iupati would be worth a pick around 22. We would trade down, and garner more picks if possible.

Iupati is a safe pick, regardless of school. He has great size and strength, as well as a very high ceiling.

Who would you take?

Iupati would be worth a pick around 22. We would trade down, and garner more picks if possible.

Iupati is a safe pick, regardless of school. He has great size and strength, as well as a very high ceiling.

Who would you take?

Are you asking who I would take if we missed on Haden and traded down to #22? If so I'd take either Trevard Lindley or Patrick Robinson, both are outstanding CB's that will likely go in the late 1st round or very early 2nd round. Also if we're trading down from 8th-10th spot to 22nd then I want an extra 2nd round pick, that's a long ways down. IMO, Iupati might be the highest rated OG this year but is not worth a 1st round pick. This years class of OG's doesn't seem to be as good as last year.

Are you asking who I would take if we missed on Haden and traded down to #22? If so I'd take either Trevard Lindley or Patrick Robinson, both are outstanding CB's that will likely go in the late 1st round or very early 2nd round. Also if we're trading down from 8th-10th spot to 22nd then I want an extra 2nd round pick, that's a long ways down. IMO, Iupati might be the highest rated OG this year but is not worth a 1st round pick. This years class of OG's doesn't seem to be as good as last year.

Patrick Robinson was in the whole cheating thing at FSU. I doubt the Texans will draft him. If we trade down all the way to 22 we should take Kyle Wilson.

I was more going for who would you take if Haden was gone, trade down or not.

I am not a huge fan of Robinson, but I do like Lindley.

Brown LT, Iupati LG, Thomas Austin C, Caldwell RG and WInston RT with Gerhart running behind, Hmm. Could probably still get a decent corner in 4th even if Wilson or Murphy gone.

Kyle Wilson is going to be a late first round or early second round pick. He runs a 4.36 all of his combine results are ridiculous. That was all when he was a junior.

I like what I see in the YouTube videos of Kyle Wilson but unfortunately there's alot more to being a great CB than just speed. Yes speed is very important but route recognition, recovery speed/quickness, taking the proper angles, and being able to read the play are all just as important. I was very impressed with the fact that Wilson is on the deans list, meaning his very intelligent as well. That's a rare commodity for football players.

Yeah I liked that about him also. I wouldnt see us wasting a pick with him if we take him at 22. Haden wherever we pick should be our main goal if he is not available, We should take Wilson. Speed kills in the NFL but you are right about covering skills and adjusting to certain situations. I wouldnt expect him to be covering like D Revis his first year haha.

Kyle Wilson is going to be a late first round or early second round pick. He runs a 4.36 all of his combine results are ridiculous. That was all when he was a junior.
I don't disagree with your points, however on another thread a poster told me he was all speed and no skills. Basically a punt returner. WalterFootball.com has him in 2nd round after Perrish Cox. I will probably start looking for another CB. Many think Haden will be gone top 10-12.

I like what I see in the YouTube videos of Kyle Wilson but unfortunately there's alot more to being a great CB than just speed. Yes speed is very important but route recognition, recovery speed/quickness, taking the proper angles, and being able to read the play are all just as important. I was very impressed with the fact that Wilson is on the deans list, meaning his very intelligent as well. That's a rare commodity for football players.
Evaluate Perrish Cox CB Oklahoma State 6' 198 lbs and 4.44; Kyle Wilson Boise State 5'10" 186 4.42 and Jerome Murphy South Florida 6'1" 185 and 4.48. I have seen the first two play but can find anything on Murphy except NFLDraftScout.com. If Haden is gone, I have to re-think. If Kubes is here in ZBS I like Asamoah OG in 2nd as he is 6'4" 315 strong with bull rushes and excellent with traps & blocks. I can see him in both ZBS or smash blocking straight ahead offense which is what I prefer.

Evaluate Perrish Cox CB Oklahoma State 6' 198 lbs and 4.44; Kyle Wilson Boise State 5'10" 186 4.42 and Jerome Murphy South Florida 6'1" 185 and 4.48. I have seen the first two play but can find anything on Murphy except NFLDraftScout.com. If Haden is gone, I have to re-think. If Kubes is here in ZBS I like Asamoah OG in 2nd as he is 6'4" 315 strong with bull rushes and excellent with traps & blocks. I can see him in both ZBS or smash blocking straight ahead offense which is what I prefer.

I think the Texans could end up trading up in the draft and I still want Kyle Wilson.

I think the Texans could end up trading up in the draft and I still want Kyle Wilson.
Man, you are going to have to 'splain that trade up? Let's say we select at #15. Who above that is going to be the guy that puts you into the play off later rounds? Just getting to first level is not enough. Plus you have to give up at least a 2nd and third this year to go up more than a few spots.

Suh: probably a top 3 player and would cost a whole lot more including at least a first next season.
Eric Berry: top 10 guy but does he really change the W column that many games?
Haden: Same as Berry.
QB: are any of them better than Schaub behind that line?
RB: I don't see any projected ahead of Texans pick.

Sorry, can't buy a trade up.

Wilson is rated a second round pick right now and not someone the Texans would likely pick even then...too short.

Last edited:
Wilson is rated a second round pick right now and not someone the Texans would likely pick even then...too short.

I guess I worded it wrong. I think the Texans need to trade up if there isnt a player that they need right when they pick. I would like Kyle Wilson and I have stated before in other threads that he could be picked up by the Texans in the 2nd - 3rd round.

Dunta 5'10"; AJ Davis 5'10" and McClain 5'9" and that's on just our team.

Yes but the current regime did not pick Dunta, did not pick McCain until the sixth round. And Davis was a street free agent wasn't he?

I just meant that I do not think the Texans would pick Wilson even in the second or third round because of his size limitations. 5'9 1/2"

Kyle Wilson is 5"11 which is already taller than most of them besides Glover I think. I want us to get him but I would not want to get him if we are sitting at pick 15 unless we trade down. But crazier things have happened. I would not be that surprised if we took him first.

what is the one characteristic we love about Glover Quinn? physical play, that is not Wilson. I would like the Texans to continue pathway to becoming more physical, on both sides. Quinn & Cushing are excellent starters, lets not "drop the ball" now :kitten:

what is the one characteristic we love about Glover Quinn? physical play, that is not Wilson. I would like the Texans to continue pathway to becoming more physical, on both sides. Quinn & Cushing are excellent starters, lets not "drop the ball" now :kitten:

That is true. But it hard to find quality CB's that physically.

That is true. But it hard to find quality CB's that physically.

I have the perfect solution. draft Earl Thomas. along with Pollard this provides improved support to the CB's already on roster while intensifying the overall physcial play of secondary.

should note: he has declared himself coming back for his Junior season, but has until January 15th to change his mind.

Last edited:
I have the perfect solution. draft Earl Thomas. along with Pollard this provides improved support to the CB's already on roster while intensifying the overall physcial play of secondary.

I like that solution. And draft best available CB in second and Gerhart in third.

I like that solution. And draft best available CB in second and Gerhart in third.

I have not really gone over the draft needs of other teams but I beleive the Washington Redskins will make a strong push to draft Gerhart in the 2nd rd. (John Riggens clone) which is before Houston selects, so making it to the Texans 3rd rd. pick unlikely :clown:

I have not really gone over the draft needs of other teams but I beleive the Washington Redskins will make a strong push to draft Gerhart in the 2nd rd. (John Riggens clone) which is before Houston selects, so making it to the Texans 3rd rd. pick unlikely :clown:

Yeah, but I can dream!:clown:

I think that even if slaton is out of football if the nerve problem is career-threatening, we still wont go after a running back like spiller in the first or even in the 2nd...heck ill be happy if we get a rb in the 3rd round...does anyone know if cowher likes drafting rbs early compared to kubiak??

Back